Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any good bbq in Jacksonville, NC

Going to be here all week, would love to try some traditional whole hog western carolina style bbq. We will be headed towards Atlanta after this, so anything en route that's not too horribly off the road would work as well.
XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum

Comments

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    You'll be coming right by Aiken. If y'all have time you should stop and we can have dinner. Even a meal at the Aiken brewery if you're in a hurry. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    You're a little far over to hit the big names like B's BBQ, Skylight Inn, Allen and Sons.  

Here's a link for the BBQ trail of NC if your plans are to go elsewhere.  

http://www.ncbbqsociety.com/bbqmap/trail_map.html
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Jeremiah said:
    You'll be coming right by Aiken. If y'all have time you should stop and we can have dinner. Even a meal at the Aiken brewery if you're in a hurry. 
    Robin could make his award winning wings. :grimacing:
  • NC_Egghead
    NC_Egghead Posts: 786
    Scott, You're actually too far East for good BBQ. Head 20 mins. East on HWY 24 to Swansboro and dine at River View Steak House. Good food all around.  You won't be disappointed. Then go a little further East on 24 and hit up Harrika's brew pub. No food there but an excellent selection of beers. I will be in Swansboro on the evening of 8/16. Let me know if you're still around so I can buy you a beer!
    Charlotte, NC

XL BGE, WSM, Weber Genesis 2, Weber Kettle
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    Looks like I'm 60 miles from Skylight.  I may be able to convince my wife to do that drive. We could use a break. We are here for a funeral.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    We are here for a funeral.
    Sorry to hear that brother Grim. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    SGH said:
    It's a real shame. 27 year old, Mom, died of Heroin OD. She was spiraling down for a while but what a shame. I really didn't know heroin was even a thing anymore. Apparently it's making a huge comeback.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    SGH said:
    It's a real shame. 27 year old, Mom, died of Heroin OD. She was spiraling down for a while but what a shame. I really didn't know heroin was even a thing anymore. Apparently it's making a huge comeback.
    Big time.  That's terrible.  My sympathies.
    NOLA
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Unfortunately, I have been spending a day/night a month in Jacksonville. There is every chair restaurant I have ever heard of but I have yet to find any real food. If you find something good please report back. One interesting fact, Onslow County is the fastest growing county in the USA. I can't imagine living there. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    Skylight Inn in Ayden is good. The same family has opened Sam Jones BBQ in Greenville NC, also very good. One of my favorites is a little hole in the wall called Grady's in Dudley NC. You can google it and get directions. It is really good and not too far from you.
  • Big Oak Drive-In in Salter Path advertises BBQ, but I like their shrimp burgers.  Jacksonville is a bit of a drive from Salter Path, but not too bad.  If you can make it I'd also hit up Skylight Inn in Ayden.  I'm not too keen on Jacksonville.
    Stuart
    Burlington/Alamance County, NC
  • NC_Egghead
    Big Oak Drive-In in Salter Path advertises BBQ, but I like their shrimp burgers.  Jacksonville is a bit of a drive from Salter Path, but not too bad.  If you can make it I'd also hit up Skylight Inn in Ayden.  I'm not too keen on Jacksonville.
    Shhhhh. Don't tell anyone about this! Best shrimp burgers anywhere!
    Charlotte, NC

• tarheelmatt
    It's not a Q joint, but I've wanted to hit up The Chef and The Farmer in Kinston for sometime now.  Any of you guys go there?  I've heard there's like a three month waiting list for reservations.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    It's not a Q joint, but I've wanted to hit up The Chef and The Farmer in Kinston for sometime now.  Any of you guys go there?  I've heard there's like a three month waiting list for reservations.  

I have been there once. It was really good.
  • Went to Chef and The Farmer a couple weeks ago.  Amazing!!  They also own a raw bar / burger joint within walking distance that's great.  AND there's Mother Earth Brewery!  
  • tarheelmatt
    Golfguy77 said:
    Went to Chef and The Farmer a couple weeks ago.  Amazing!!  They also own a raw bar / burger joint within walking distance that's great.  AND there's Mother Earth Brewery!  
    I love her show on PBS, A Chef's Life.  It's pretty neat and talk about the other joint too.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    SGH said:
    Damn Scott, that hits close home. I am a rare one who has a son who kicked it 2.5 years ago. My prayers go out to the entire family.....it is a wicked drug. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • NC_Egghead
    I've been to The Boiler Room. It was very good. Wife made reservations in early July for Chef and the Farmer. Earliest we could get was this coming Thursday. We are looking forward to it! We also enjoy Chefs life. Some of wife's family are from the Kinston area. 
    Charlotte, NC