Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What is your favorite hot wing sauce?

Options
Hub
Hub Posts: 927
I'm in pursuit of the ultimate home cooked hot wings.  I've tried so many sauces.  I've ordered directly from the Anchor Bar in Buffalo.  I've bought every store brand imaginable.  Frank's wing sauce is usually my go to, but lately I've wanted more.  I've thought about ordering directly from Duff's, but their sauce only comes insanely hot and you have to cut it yourself with butter.  That seems like too much work.

I'm seeking a hot and flavorful wing sauce.  I don't want crazy "you have to sign a waiver before you can eat it" sauce.  I don't want a wimpy sauce.  I want some sauce with a bite.  What say the folks here? What is your go to wing sauce?
Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,344
    Options
    Below is my current home-made favorite:  And you can go as heavy as you want with the hot sauce.  

Sweet hot mustard wings

2 lbs chicken wings (separated and tips removed)

2 tablespoons Dijon mustard

2 teaspoons prepared yellow mustard

3 tablespoons honey

2 teaspoons cider vinegar

salt and pepper to taste

2 tablespoons hot pepper sauce

The back-up is a honey sriracha sauce.  Give the search feature a go-many options out there.  

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Hub
    Options
    Thank you for your reply.  I absolutely have used the search function and do so often.  The reason for my post is that I'm online searching for the ultimate sauce .. one that I can buy locally or have shipped to me.  Anchor Bar wasn't bad ... but wasn't perfect.  Frank's is pretty good .. but not perfect.  With all the wisdom here there must be some thoughts.  A new discussion on a great topic beats the heck out of an old search.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    I'm from a different school of thought. Rather than a surface sauce applied on the side I prefer Georgia Red Wings meaning they are marninaded for 48 hours so the meat has the taste clear to the bone! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Eggscuses
    Eggscuses Posts: 399
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Deep fried wings. Then equal parts Wing it sauce, Frank's red hot, and honey. Want it hotter a few shots of a habenero sauce or ghost pepper.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    I get it, most like spicy, but my favorites are the sweet honey sauces!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Well... Being as how AARP is marooned on a boat currently....
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
    Syracuse style has become a new favorite. Basically a 50/50 of Buffalo and BBQ. I don't know of any off the shelf I can reccomend. I use butter and Franks in equal parts for the Buffalo and then add a matching dose of Sweet Baby Rays. I find as I get older I don't quite enjoy hot as much as I used to.

Jim
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • Hub
    Options
    CtTOPGUN said:
    Syracuse style has become a new favorite. Basically a 50/50 of Buffalo and BBQ. I don't know of any off the shelf I can reccomend. I use butter and Franks in equal parts for the Buffalo and then add a matching dose of Sweet Baby Rays. I find as I get older I don't quite enjoy hot as much as I used to.

Jim
    I hear you and I agree, but weight gain or loss becomes all the more important as we age.  Most BBQ sauces are nothing more than liquid sugar, so I tend to avoid them and go back to the spicy stuff.  Plus, it makes a cold beer even more necessary.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I make varieties of my own.  It's hard to beat Frank's store bought wing sauce.  Traditional flavor.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Lou nails it when he used the word current. I'm a wing man and lucky to be married to a wing gal. I almost always do 2, just like when we're eating wings out. I bought some Marie Sharp per Eggforum recommendation and nailed a good one. 1 cup coconut milk, 2T MS orange pulp, 1T MS hot. It could have been a tick hotter but it was friggilicious. 
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 686
    Options
    I'm a fan of equal parts Franks and butter.

I'll melt the butter and put a good amount of minced garlic. Heat the butter until there are just barely bubbles coming up. Let that go until a few minutes before the wings are done, then add the Franks. If I'm wanting more heat I just add more Franks.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    my wing sauce is franks,butter,chipotle pepper, tobasco. i dont fry the wings any more but use the egg. they get marinated 48 to 72 hours in this beforehand

1/2 bottle franks
    3/8 cup red wine vinigar
    3/8 cups soy or terryaki
    1 cup water
     1/2 can v8 juice
    1 tsp tobasco
    1 to 2 tbls chipotle powder

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • HoustonEgger
    Options
    Try some Defcon Sauces - http://defconsauces.mybigcommerce.com/ The Defcon 2 is a good basic wing sauce, not too hot and not too mild. Great flavor. Of course they have the melt your face sauces and the ones for beginners as well. 
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    This is an interesting article:
    http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/02/what-is-the-best-buffalo-wing-sauce-brand-texas-pete-anchor-bar-franks-red-crystal.html

They basically say that any hot sauce mixed with butter did better than the pre-bottled wing sauce.  I am not opposed to buying bottled sauces at all, but in this case I think it would be better.  The bottled stuff has "butter flavor" added so it won't break down vs the real thing. 

The favorite was Franks red hot mixed with about 1 stick of butter per cup of sauce.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Hub
    Options
    This is an interesting article:
    http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/02/what-is-the-best-buffalo-wing-sauce-brand-texas-pete-anchor-bar-franks-red-crystal.html

They basically say that any hot sauce mixed with butter did better than the pre-bottled wing sauce.  I am not opposed to buying bottled sauces at all, but in this case I think it would be better.  The bottled stuff has "butter flavor" added so it won't break down vs the real thing. 

The favorite was Franks red hot mixed with about 1 stick of butter per cup of sauce.  
    Great article.  Thank you.
  • Hub
    Options
    Try some Defcon Sauces - http://defconsauces.mybigcommerce.com/ The Defcon 2 is a good basic wing sauce, not too hot and not too mild. Great flavor. Of course they have the melt your face sauces and the ones for beginners as well. 
    Just bookmarked them after looking at several of their sauces.  I'm torn between the medium and the hot.  Thank you for the suggestion.
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    From Austin, and in a bottle, I like HEB medium wing sauce. Pretty close to all medium sauces I've had, probably comparable to the Frank's and butter recipes.  

For a home made, I like @NecessaryIndulg tequila lime wings, or just spicing up my medium sauce with taco seasoning, lime and spicey cayenne. 
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Hotwingking
    Options
    My favorite is Frank's Redhot Buffalo style, rub the wings in Oakridge BBQ Habanero Death Dust first.
    I also like Mango Habanero and Parmesan Garlic from Buffalo Wild Wings, I usually mix those two together.