Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

explanation of "raised" cooking - new BGE owner

Options
looking for recipes for boneless leg of lamb as first cook and I see a lot of variance and use of raised cooking; not totally sure how to do that

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Raised cooking means raising the grid to gasket level or higher.  There are a number of ways to do that.

It's not necessary to do that for leg of lamb, IMO, since you probably want to do that indirect anyway.  I cooked one last weekend.  Rubbed in salt, pepper, granulated garlic and onion, cayenne and paprika.  Then crusted with a fresh herb mixture of mint, oregano, rosemary and parsley.  Cooked indirect at about 275 to 130.  I think it took right about 2 hours or so.

Came out great.
    NOLA
  • Tennisjon
    Options
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    Here is a shot of some chicken breast and sausage cooking "raised direct" on a large. I am using a pswoo from https://ceramicgrillstore.com

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Killit_and_Grillit Posts: 4,326
    edited August 2016
    Options
    This was my solution. I bought another grate and some stainless steel 4 inch bolts, washers, and nuts and made a second one. 4 inches in a large gets you flush with the gasket, which has been perfect for chicken. Edit: just set it on the original grate

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• morrobayrich
    Options
    Or you can use what i have used for years ... the elevated grid from Big Green Egg  http://biggreenegg.com/product/folding-grill-extender/

Morro Bay, CA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Here's my explanation of the various cooking options (short of cave man) on the BGE:
    With the BGE there are three basic styles of cooking;  “direct”-where the cooking grid is on top of the fire ring; “raised direct”-where the grid is elevated at least to the gasket-line (this setup requires after-market stuff-easiest is to get another grid and then use three fire bricks (or three empty aluminum beer cans) and place them on the grid at the fire ring and then put the second grid on top. The third is “indirect” where there is a heat deflector (platesetter or some other type stone) between the burning lump and the cooking grid.  This is the setup for low&slow long duration cooks.  I would get comfortable playing around with the BGE before any major after-market investments.  Will save you $$ in the long run.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Tennisjon said:
    raised cooking; not totally sure how to do that

There several ways to go raised direct. Some folks use long bolts, some use bricks, and just about any other thing that you can think of to raise the grid. 
    However for just a few bucks there is the Woo. To me it's the "most bang for the buck". It's cheap, simple to use and durable as hell. It works great for raised direct cooks, and it works equally well for indirect cooks by using the plate setter.  
    Woo:

Woo with plate setter installed. (Indirect)

Woo without the PS. Raised direct. 

Then there is the AR (adjustable rig)

AR set up for raised direct. 

The AR will put the full size 17" grid as high as practical in the dome. To go any higher you will have to use a smaller grid. When sitting on the very top of the AR, the full size grid will rub the dome a little until you get it situated just right. Nothing to worry about though. Again there are numerous improvised methods out there, but for just a few bucks the Woo gives you a sturdy, well built, and very easy means of going both indirect and raised direct. As with most things, it's your money my friend. So spend it wisely. If we had Rons money we would not give minor things like this a second thought ;)
    And sorry for the crappy pics but it's dark and raining here. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    This was my solution. I bought another grate and some stainless steel 4 inch bolts, washers, and nuts and made a second one. 4 inches in a large gets you flush with the gasket, which has been perfect for chicken. Edit: just set it on the original grate
    I'm in need of a raised rig also, is the extra grate a aftermarket or BGE? I know Weber makes a few sizes and are cheap in comparison.
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    Other than when I'm searing at high heat, I cook EVERYTHING raised grid because it results in less flare ups, less burns, etc. and it is still plenty close enough to the fire to cook.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • g37
    g37 Posts: 450
    Options
    Im glad some brought up this  question. I've  been  on the fence about  ordering  the pswoo. Is cooking raised direct really beneficial?  I haven't  experienced to many flare ups. 
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • SGH
    edited August 2016
    Options
    g37 said:
    Is cooking raised direct really beneficial?  
    Absolutely it is beneficial for some things (maybe not all things). But for large cuts such as whole turkey & chicken, whole hams etc, etc, there is no doubt about it. Even for chicken parts there are several advantages to raising the grid. Again, it's not a absolute necessity across the board, but for some things it certainly makes life much eaiser. Try a raised grid just once and you probably won't turn back. If nothing else, one huge benefit of a raised grid is food removal. It's much easier to remove your food at gasket level or higher than it is having to reach down to the factory level. This alone makes it worth it to me. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    I go raised direct for any grilling. Unless I'm really low on charcoal and the fire is down really low.

IMO the pswoo2 is the way to go... It's cheap and it's not ghetto rigged..

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• SGH
    Options
    it's not ghetto rigged..
    This is priceless my friend. And I know what you really wanted to say. For being a deep thinker, I proudly award you the double seal my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

• g37
    g37 Posts: 450
    Options
    Thanks SGH. 
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • SGH
    Options
    g37 said:
    Thanks SGH. 
    My pleasure. 

Status- Standing by.

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    SGH said:
    it's not ghetto rigged..
    This is priceless my friend. And I know what you really wanted to say. For being a deep thinker, I proudly award you the double seal my friend. 

My first double seal from the man, the myth, the legend.  Tonight is starting off on a good note.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    feef706 said:
    I'm in need of a raised rig also, is the extra grate a aftermarket or BGE? I know Weber makes a few sizes and are cheap in comparison.
    It was a BGE brand one. Only because I had a ton of credit at the store after Christmas. I also took a Weber grid and made a 6 inch off of a burnt out older one. 

My buddy ordered a generic one off Amazon and it worked as well. The only thing is 4 inches doesn't give a lot of room when trying to cook on both levels. 

I I wouldn't discount that Woo though. Interesting. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• SGH
    Options
    My first double seal 
    You more than earned that one my brother. I'm still laughing my a$$ off from your above response.  

Status- Standing by.

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Smokeware now makes a grate raiser as well. It is of durable construction and, if you have the right size baking stones, it can be used to stack them for simultaneous cooking. It ia also a good fit to hold my wok in place, a little further down into the flames. It's a good option!
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,236
    Options
    @Tennisjon of you need a cheap/quick fix, I use 3 fire bricks from Home Depot to get to felt level. Less than a dollar a brick:

Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 423
    Options
    fence0407 said:
    @Tennisjon of you need a cheap/quick fix, I use 3 fire bricks from Home Depot to get to felt level. Less than a dollar a brick:

Yep. This works great and is cheap and easy.
    One large BGE in Louisville, KY.
  • jak7028
    jak7028 Posts: 231
    Options
    Another vote her efor the PsWoo - I use it for raised direct and indirect.  Rarely do I do a cook without it.

Also have a homemade raised grid.  I bought an off brand 13" grate, and went with 6" bolts.  This way I can raise and lower the second grid to get more clearance for the first grid if needed.  Usually keep the nuts in a position where there is about 4" of clearance to cook with, only time I had to raise the second grid more than that was to cook 3 pork butts on a large.
    Victoria, TX - 1 Large BGE and a 36" Blackstone
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Here's the AR and I think it's called the AR extender on top of that to get high in the dome for raised indirect. There's an oval stone under the drip pan.

Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.