Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Cutting board

Shemp
Shemp Posts: 12
edited August 2016 in EggHead Forum
I am in the market for a new cutting board.  Does anyone have any suggestions?
LBGE- Woodburn, IN

Comments

• Budgeezer
    Budgeezer Posts: 669
    Always been a fan of Boos.
    Edina, MN

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    You can get a Boos, but I recommend others.  You can get nice boards from local guys making them and I feel I have a better product.  

Hot Blox out of Myrtle Beach has my attention for personaiziation.  He used to be a chef.  

I bought a pizza peel from a guy in Asheville, he's on Etsy and can do crazy stuff.  

https://www.etsy.com/people/GreenRiverWoods

I bought a big Michigan board from Amazon and really serves me well.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited August 2016
    This is a fairly large counter top board but I really like mine. Free shipping was great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009OWEE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    end grain maple wood, its good on knife edges. some other woods look nicer but they can dull edges faster. i bit the bullet years ago, boos 42x27x4 inches thick =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    edited August 2016
    I'd suggest an end grain cutting board. I have a Boos end grain cutting board and I really like it. It was bought 2nd hand as the original owner only used it a couple times since it was too tall for him at counter height. It doesn't need to be Boos but a nice end grain cutting board will save on your knives. I think @Photo Egg picked up a nice end grain cutting board off Amazon if I'm not mistaking and a few other members here did the same. Maybe he can chime in if he has a second. Here is my Boos I picked up:

Edit: Photo Egg beat me to it  =)

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    Big slab of HDPE. 

Wood ones can sure be pretty but too many worries for me for a daily use cutting board.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• fishlessman
    HeavyG said:
    Big slab of HDPE. 

Wood ones can sure be pretty but too many worries for me for a daily use cutting board.
    thats my fillet board, after cleaning fish i toss it in the lake for a few hours then rinse it off with the hose =)
    fukahwee maine

• HeavyG
    HeavyG said:
    Big slab of HDPE. 

thats my fillet board, after cleaning fish i toss it in the lake for a few hours then rinse it off with the hose =)
    I like your style!
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Photo Egg
    WeberWho said:
    I'd suggest an end grain cutting board. I have a Boos end grain cutting board and I really like it. It was bought 2nd hand as the original owner only used it a couple times since it was too tall for him at counter height. It doesn't need to be Boos but a nice end grain cutting board will save on your knives. I think @Photo Egg picked up a nice end grain cutting board off Amazon if I'm not mistaking and a few other members here did the same. Maybe he can chime in if he has a second. Here is my Boos I picked up:

Edit: Photo Egg beat me to it  =)

Your Boos is very similar to the one I got on Amazon but mine is only 3 1/2" tall. It looks shorter with the angle of the photo.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Shemp
    How often do you need to oil the boards?
    LBGE- Woodburn, IN
  • I purchased one from Eric Albrecht and am very happy with it. 

For his birthday, my brother wanted a carving board. I asked Eric if he could make something like the Boos carving board, which he did. At his party, someone else had the Boos carving board and said that Eric's board was much nicer.

I suggest you contact him to see if he as something that fits your needs.
    LBGE, Stoker WiFi, UDS, Pit Barrel Cooker
  • I'm a woodworking hack and I'm embarrassed to say my cutting boards are all plastic.  I suppose I should do one.

By the way, with a handle of @Shemp , your avatar (IMHO) should be the beloved Shemp Howard himself.

url9.jpg 103.5K
    Flint, Michigan
  • WeberWho
    @Photo Egg I would look into your board if I didn't purchase this one prior to you finding it. I did purchase the Boos for less but was also used a couple times. I really want to get into making end grain cutting boards myself. Unfortunately I don't have the room for a big jointer and planner. The biggest issue is that I don't have any 220 volt in the garage. What I might do is make a router sled instead of a big planner and pick up a table top jointer to save some room. Probably wishful thinking but definitely has peeked my interest 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Shemp
    I would assume the plastic have less maintenance?
    LBGE- Woodburn, IN
  • WeberWho
    edited August 2016
    Shemp said:
    Less maintenance and most dishwasher safe but also hard on your knives. They also stain easily. I use them for cutting meats. Not much of a fan. I use my not so nice knives with them.

Minnesota
  • Shemp
    @Fred19Flintstone. Since I watched a lot of Three Stooges growing up, my friends call me Shemp.  I have had that nickname for 20+ years now.
    LBGE- Woodburn, IN
  • HeavyG
    edited August 2016
    Shemp said:
    No maintenance other than washing (or throwing into the lake).

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    I own a Boos and love it. I also own one made by a local guy and love it

Go end grain. A good wood cutting board will 1) outlast you. your kids will use 2) easier on your knives 3) looks good on counter as well
    Boom
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    This is the one I have.  I use the hell out of my boards.  I like it a lot.  

https://www.amazon.com/Michigan-Maple-Block-AGA02418-Cutting/dp/B0040EDQRG

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    I have the same end grain as @Photo Egg it's solid. 
  • Photo Egg
    WeberWho said:
    @Photo Egg I would look into your board if I didn't purchase this one prior to you finding it. I did purchase the Boos for less but was also used a couple times. I really want to get into making end grain cutting boards myself. Unfortunately I don't have the room for a big jointer and planner. The biggest issue is that I don't have any 220 volt in the garage. What I might do is make a router sled instead of a big planner and pick up a table top jointer to save some room. Probably wishful thinking but definitely has peeked my interest 
    Your more ambitious than me. I wish I had the nerve to just route a blood groove on one side of mine.lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    GatoGordo said:
    I purchased one from Eric Albrecht and am very happy with it. 

For his birthday, my brother wanted a carving board. I asked Eric if he could make something like the Boos carving board, which he did. At his party, someone else had the Boos carving board and said that Eric's board was much nicer.

I suggest you contact him to see if he as something that fits your needs.

I the same.  Very nice and in my price range.
    Apollo Beach, FL
  • fishlessman
    edited August 2016
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:
    Big slab of HDPE. 

I like your style!
    i have alot of people cleaning fish at my house, the hdpe just makes sense for it. a friend bought a couple whole sheets and cut them up as gifts, no need to buy one premade =) just make sure theres a hole in the corner to tie a rope to
    fukahwee maine

• No glass and no bamboo (silica, or essentially, sand) will dull knives quickly

wood and plastic are as safe as one another. 

Wood (IMO) looks better

both wood and plastic about as easy to maintain i think. We have both. Bought some giant plastic ones in multicolors (red for meat, yellow for fish, green for veg, etc.). But if you know how to clean a cutting board, using one to cut veggies on that you also used for beef (and which you've cleaned) is perfectly safe
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    I purchased boos end grain board from cutlerlyandmore.com.. Found it to be a good price.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• We bought an end-grain board from http://theboardsmith.com/ a couple years ago that I really like. 
  • I bought a few wooden ones in Napa and they are amazing. Just found a local wood worker that had some on display.

Then I have one heavy plastic one for meats. And then of course the little colored plastic thin ones for quick cutting because they are so easy. But if you have to cut meat on one, forget it. They will be slipping all over the place. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I was surprised to learn that wood was somewhat safer in terms of carrying pathogens. The plastic doesn't absorb water, so the "bugs" can grow a bit in the slice cracks. Wood wicks the moisture, and may release a little tannin. Marginally safer.

Myself, I have a couple of plastic and rubber boards. They are unpleasantly heavier than wood.

As mentioned above, I see the Green River boards, and want one.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    45+ years old. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.