Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Charcoal...can only get Cowboy

Options
I'm in NE Pennsylvania and the only thing around for miles is Cowboy charcoal. Its not bad, but I would like to try other highly rated brands...Royal Oak etc. I have checked all Ace Hardware, Lowes, Home Depot, Bj's, Wally World you name it. They ALL have the Cowboy and only Cowboy.

Any ideas appreciated. I may just have to break down and go down the the local Green Egg dealer and pick up some overpriced GreenEgg Charcoal but I'd rather not!

Thanks for any suggestions.

Comments

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Maybe give Blues Hog a whirl...
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,359
    Options
    It must be Friday. I live on the opposite side of the country from, so I am no help as to where to find it locally for you. You can order Rockwood (forum favorite) from firecraft.com. Not too sure what else they have or what the cost is, but worth a shot maybe. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    If your only option is Cowboy or overpriced BGE, mail order may be an option.  If you get a few bags the shipping charges may be tolerable.  There is also some on Amazon which may come to you free (via Prime).  So look there also.

I've seen other food stores carrying lump now also, so if you have a Wegman's, Harris Teeter or Whole Foods around you, try them as well.  Our local Wegman's was selling 10 lbs bags for $10...or maybe it was $19.  I forget.  I recall thinking it was only marginally more than I paid for RO at HD.  Look in the yellow pages for any place that sells grills or fireplaces (which also sell high end grills), as they probably have something as well.

Good luck!
    LBGE/Maryland
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Another endorsement for fire craft and they are located in PA-eastern side I believe.  Should you order, best to order in 3 bag increments and they do a great job of shipping 3 20lb bags /box.  So you are in for six bags minimum for the free shipping.  And they carry more than Rockwood.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Billyeggman
    Billyeggman Posts: 18
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I'm also from NEPA area.  Jerry's for all seasons is a BGE dealer located in dunmore- that's also where I got my egg and accessories.  There is also dundee gardens in nanticoke. 

EDIT:  Sorry, just read your whole post, guess you know about those places already. 
    Northeastern PA
    LBGE
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    You should probably just get a gasser.
    NOLA
  • da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Options
    I'm lucky to be in SE PA and am able to drive to Firecraft and pick up Rockwood - no shipping cost and less handling.  If you're too far up and/or don't drive near Westchester, PA occasionally then I'm fully aligned with ordering online at $100+ to get free shipping.  Not hard to reach when you buy a couple bags of Rockwood, some new rubs to try,....
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Home Depot carries Royal Oak. Look online at your HD store and it will tell you how many bags are in stock. If not in stock, I think you can order online with free ship to store.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    BGE lump is Royal Oak. Same stuff, different bag.

If you're OK with Cowboy lump quality, you're going to be very happy with just about everything else.

Amazon has good pricing on the imported stuff, Kebroak ships 40lb bags for $45 delivered.

FireCraft will ship US sourced Rockwood for about the same price, but you have to buy 120 lbs. to get free shipping. That could be a storage issue.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Firecraft! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    Options
    Where in NE PA? Wegman's lump is $6.99/10lb bag, and it is manufactured by Royal Oak.
  • flyerdoc
    flyerdoc Posts: 141
    Options
    Thanks for the posts everyone, its appreciated. I actually am near a Wegmans however they are all out of lump :(
    Now, that Firecraft suggestion is terrific, it would be about an hours drive but that's not too bad, pick up three bags of Rockwood. On the other hand, I am sure I can convince myself to do $100 order as @da87 suggested. Also, @Carolina Q   I will definitely talk to the HD supervisor and see if they can get me some of the Royal Oak, I will be swimming in Charcoal soon.

Oh, I did break down and get a small 10lb bag of BGE Charcoal from the local dealer for $17. Yes, I know, bit of an overpay, but hey, an egger has to do what an egger has to do ;)
  • NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    Options
    A lot of Aces can get it for you. You just need to give them the SKU number that @stlcharcoal has posted on here before. Maybe he can help.
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Cowboy is fine. It is not scrap wood. Maple and oak

it lights quickly too. 

All charcoal works. I am too stupid apparently to understand the love/hate for so many different brands. 

Give me hardwood charcoal in decent size, at a good price, and i'm happy. 
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• flyerdoc
    flyerdoc Posts: 141
    Options
    @Darby_Crenshaw ... apparently, you are not a charcoal snob :)

Hey, its just a matter of having the time to tweak a good thing I guess, hell, better I putz around with this then waste time surfing the internet...oh, yeah, well, put another way, its constructive improvement, or so I've convinced myself ;)
  • bigbadben
    bigbadben Posts: 397
    Options
    Check out a kamadojoe roadshow at Costco. Great lump at a great price. Google for the schedule. 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Order $75 of FOGO get free shipping and a t-shirt...
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    +1 for Rockwood and Firecraft, they both have very good reputations on this forum. I've been using Rockwood almost exclusively for the past 2 years and have been very pleased

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Firecraft and Rockwood is awesome. Royal Oak is ok and good for most hot cooks. Cowboy is for firepits. That stuff is crap in a bag. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    ^this is why I keep reading his forum. Lump charcoal debates. Of all the serious real life problems we all have and face each day, here we are punching keyboards and touch screens about what goes in our grills. Cheers and happy Friday y'all.  =)
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    ^this is why I keep reading his forum. Lump charcoal debates. Of all the serious real life problems we all have and face each day, here we are punching keyboards and touch screens about what goes in our grills. Cheers and happy Friday y'all.  =)
    It's important serious shtuff.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • eggsurance_agent
    Options
    I bought Cowboy once. I didn't like it at all, very smoky and HOT. You should go the Forecraft route
    LBGE
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    From where? Been wanting to try fogo 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    feef706 said:
    From where? Been wanting to try fogo 
    https://www.fogocharcoal.com
  • feef706
    Options
    As of 12 Jul it looks as though they have joined the free shipping at $35 bandwagon, no mention of a free tee that I see, not that I need another...
  • feef706
    Options
    What flavor of lump you do you prefer, they have several.