Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Loose snuffer cap

Options
Hi. The ceramic BGE snuffer cap is so loose that whenever I lift my BGE cover off, it gets dislodged. Today I finally managed to knock it off entirely and it hit the floor - thankfully keeping in one piece but taking a chunk out of the side. I've repaired it, but the issue of it being loose remains. Any recommendations for how to make it a tighter fit with the top of the Egg? The top of the egg has a ring of gasket but it doesn't keep the snuffer on tight (despite it being a snug fit with the daisy wheel). I could put a double layer of gasket on I suppose? Any advice appreciated. 

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    I had a similar deal with the SBGE "snuffer cap".  Solved it by layering a couple of pieces of aluminium (English version) foil around the inside.  No problem after that.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TheToast
    TheToast Posts: 376
    Options
    @lousubcap Nice idea. How do you prevent it from falling out?
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Must have gotten lucky-the foil ( two years on) has always just stayed inside the cap.  I did use enough foil to completely cover the inside as shown in this pic.  Good luck-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TheToast
    Options
    @lousubcap I'll give it a go. Thanks!
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    TheToast said:
    @lousubcap Nice idea. How do you prevent it from falling out?
    I keep it from falling off by never opening the top when it is on.  Don't see any reason to do so.  First thing when starting a cook is to remove the cap and the last thing is to put it back on.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    Glue a piece of leftover gasket or thick felt around the 'neck' of the cap ... it should tighten it to reduce the risk of falling off; should also help to snuff out the fire faster. Good luck!

canuckland
  • TheToast
    Options
    @lousubcap That did the trick! Now it's really tight. 

@jtcBoynton The issue wasn't opening the egg with the snuffer on - it's that the official BGE cover even when carefully lifted off, would dislodge the snuffer cap. 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Gasket material around your top chimney. When you set it in it will be tight
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    What Chubbs says. Primo does not come with a rain/snuffer cap, they wrap some gasket material around the chimney. If you do wrap the chimney, make sure your DFMT still fits, on my MBGE the rain cap is a little larger than the DFMT. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    What Chubbs says. Primo does not come with a rain/snuffer cap, they wrap some gasket material around the chimney. If you do wrap the chimney, make sure your DFMT still fits, on my MBGE the rain cap is a little larger than the DFMT. 
    exactly, hence I applied wrap inside the ceramic cap and not outside the chimney, so the exact-fit DFMT still fits.
    canuckland
  • TheToast
    Options
    @Chubbs @Skiddymarker My large BGE already has gasket material round the chimney hole - but the snuffer is so big it rattles if you push it. But the tinfoil hack seems to have worked. Thanks
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Another solution is to fold up the cover and put it on a shelf and forget about it. :smiley:
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    TheToast said:
    @Chubbs @Skiddymarker My large BGE already has gasket material round the chimney hole - but the snuffer is so big it rattles if you push it. But the tinfoil hack seems to have worked. Thanks
    That's some sailor ingenuity for you, @lousubcap probably learned the tin foil trick if he spent anytime with Brit submariners - you know the ones that sold us Canadians the "for surface use only" submarines....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @Skiddymarker - Yes, I subscribe to a US submarine force daily email newsletter that contains submarine and related military articles from around the world.  The saga of the 4 subs you got from the Brits has been newsworthy many times-and in large part for all the wrong reasons.  

• XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    I let my Egg cool down completely, then remove the cap and put the cover on. Helps keep air circulating through the Egg when I'm not using it. 
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...