Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How often do you clean out the ashes?

Options
2»

Comments

• PSC
    PSC Posts: 148
    Options
    Always before a low&slow or before a 650º pizza cook.

Also when there's a lot of ash beneath, like 4-5 normal cooks.

I take out the fire grate and clean the ash with an ash shovel, 3-4 minutes, no biggie...
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Kick Ash Basket rules when cleaning the egg. The main reason why I've purchased them. Never had an issue with air or temps but makes clean up stupid easy. I can't tell you how many times I'd catch the fire grate with the ash tool and knock it out of place. Might worth looking into for cleaning your egg
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • flyerdoc
    flyerdoc Posts: 141
    Options
    I used to clean it out every 4 cooks or so, but since I bought a KAB I do it after every cook, its too easy NOT to do it!
  • cheeaa
    cheeaa Posts: 364
    Options
    whenever it looks full. Probably like every 10 cooks?? Ash tool and scrape it into the Webers ash can. dump in woods
  • jeponline
    jeponline Posts: 290
    Options
    KAB is definitely on my list of future purchases, but lump and meat come first while I'm still recovering from the initial purchase of the egg. 
    Large BGE
    Huntsville, AL
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,094
    Options
    Clean ashes?  I wondered why they slowly stopped working.

I just keep getting new clean eggs.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac - no wonder you had such a large van sitting at your house to haul all your BGE's.  Safe travels.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.