Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

High Heat and Flare-Ups

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last summer I experienced my first flare-up on the grill. Luckily, no one was hurt or anything, though it did singe a bit of the hair on one of my arms. Needless to say, it is something that I have been very careful to avoid since - perhaps too careful. Since it happened, I've been extremely wary about cooking at high temperatures in the egg. While I love doing all-day ribs or briskets at low smoking temps, I do miss being able to do high-temperature sears like steaks and such.[p]Anyone had any experience like this? Any good tips for overcoming the fear and avoiding any future flare-ups?[p]Much appreciated.

Comments

• Ronbo
    Ronbo Posts: 90
    Options
    EgginDC,
    The thing that I do is if I want to open it during a sear is that I bump the lid open for a second five or six times before slowly opening it all of the way. Probably not the preferred way but since losing the hair on my arm about 6 months ago I have been doing it this way without a flare up

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    EgginDC,
    flashbacks? giant balls of FWOOMP fire that melt your eyelashes together?[p]fresh lump will do it, even at temps like 350.[p]if you are doing a nutty sear, follwed by shutting down for a dwell, then burp the dome as suggested. you can open the top and bottom vents as well, but most of us will lift the dome a few inches, hold it 10-15 seconds maybe, then open it all the way.[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Unknown
    Options
    EgginDC,[p]Get a pair of welding gloves that cover your fore arms and keep your body at arms length as much as you can when opening the lid.
  • Unknown
    Options
    EgginDC, get a pair of Orka gloves, good to 650 degrees

• Unknown
    Options
    EgginDC,
    this is a rite of passage it is real easy to do it. there are two types of people those who have and those who will if you "burp" your egg it is less likely that you will get hurt but still an all times when playing with FIRE watch yourself
    HAPPY EGGING!!!!!!!!

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,747
    Options
    EgginDC,
    welders gloves work great, also burping the egg using a grid lifter a couple of times works well. ive burnt the hair off my arms so many times it doesnt bother me any more, it always grows back. more dangerous is opening the grill when there is a lot of steam in there, those burns are far worse.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Unknown
    Options
    When people say "burping," are you talking about holding the lid slightly open for a while before opening all the way?[p]Also, if Flashbacks is the terminology, that's definitely what I mean. Basically a huge fireball spewing from my grill like Backdraft.

• ChrisC
    ChrisC Posts: 107
    Options
    EgginDC,[p]Be educated - not afraid...[p]Check this out on NW's site.[p]
    [ul][li]Flashback[/ul]
  • Ronbo
    Ronbo Posts: 90
    Options
    EgginDC,
    When I do it I just lift it up about an inch for a second and do this 3 or 4 times before opening it slowly

• SonnyBlack
    Options
    Had my first big flare up last week, completely my fault for not burping it first. Cost a little bit of hair, singed eyelashes and some forearm hair. Just a friendly reminder.