Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is the BGE REALLY that much more efficient than what I'm used to?

Options
I've been using a gas vertical water smoker for about a decade, and routinely pulled out some good BBQ.  Now that I've moved over to the "Green Side," I'm 3 cooks in on my LBGE, and it seems I'm over cooking my proteins - a 2# brisket, some country style ribs, and a slab of spare ribs were all edible, but not competition worthy as they were all over cooked.  Dome temp was in the 225F-250F sweet spot for the entirety of each cook.  Placesetter legs up, drip pan on aluminum foil balls, no water...

Saturday, I did my typical 3-2-1 spare ribs (without liquid in the 2 spot, even!) and I almost couldn't get them off the grid because they were literally falling off the bone!  Also, I'm not seeing much in terms of smoke rings developing either. And I've got the firebox fully loaded with BGE Lump + apple wood chips & chunks mixed throughout.  I light the center with a BGE starter, let it run for a bit, then slowly bring it up to temp and let the white smoke turn to blue.

Now, I've got two 9.5# pork shoulders to cook for this weekend and I'm getting a little concerned about my times & temps for the BGE... on the gasser I'd run 240F-250F for about 14 hours to an internal temp of 195F-200F.  FTC for a couple of hours and shred some marvelous pulled pork.  What do I need to take into consideration ?

As I re-researched the spare ribs, I'm seeing a lot of folks running at 225F-250F but only 4 to 5 hours - so that would prevent my spare ribs from overcooking...

Dome therm has not been calibrated, but when compared to my digital probe left on the grill I was within 10F-20F of each other.

So, do I need to adjust anything, even including my expectations?
Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    there really is no need to foil ribs in a bge, it causes them to turn to mush if cooked in foil for too long a time
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  With your gas water experience you have a solid handle on the smoking process.  There are many here who have transitioned to the "Green Side" and have had to make some adjustments.  I'm sure they will be along.  I have no pearls of wisdom as it reads like you have it under control from the process side.  
    Just for the sake of eliminating another variable I would calibrate the dome thermo in some boiling water. 
    Then just go til you hit the feel you want on the low&slow protein.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    The real difference is the extremely moist and low air flow environment compared to almost all other cookers. IMO, everything will cook faster. YES.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Operator Error.... That is all.
    Seattle, WA
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I cook everything on the BGE by internal temp and therefore have no idea how long anything takes to cook.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • fishlessman
    Options
    were you using the water pan in your gas smoker, that changes everything as well, thermo at top will read high, but down near the grill/water it will be closer to 212 degrees. every smoker and setup is different, so if your cooking on a water smoker over water your cooking at near 212, much longer cook than 250 at the grate in a bge. my ribs this weekend around 250 dome raised indirect went about 3.5 hours, no foil, no water pan.
    fukahwee maine

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    I cook everything on the BGE by internal temp and therefore have no idea how long anything takes to cook.
    So do you start your ribs two days in advance just to be sure they'll be ready?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  With your gas water experience you have a solid handle on the smoking process.  There are many here who have transitioned to the "Green Side" and have had to make some adjustments.  I'm sure they will be along.  I have no pearls of wisdom as it reads like you have it under control from the process side.  
    Just for the sake of eliminating another variable I would calibrate the dome thermo in some boiling water. 
    Then just go til you hit the feel you want on the low&slow protein.  FWIW-
    Yeah, this is next on the list... calibrate my dome therm...and then my "Green Side Zen."
  • vb4677
    Options
    The real difference is the extremely moist and low air flow environment compared to almost all other cookers. IMO, everything will cook faster. YES.
    Thanks - this is what I was hoping to hear!
  • 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    Options
    Most meat cuts you can roughly base around 1h roughly per pound. Sounds to me like your pork shoulders will be way over done at 9.5lbs and 14h. Each cook is different but you can gauge most of the time roughly where you will end up. Brisket however is a whole other ball game! Each time you do one it will be a different beast.
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    1move said:
    Most meat cuts you can roughly base around 1h roughly per pound. Sounds to me like your pork shoulders will be way over done at 9.5lbs and 14h. Each cook is different but you can gauge most of the time roughly where you will end up. Brisket however is a whole other ball game! Each time you do one it will be a different beast.
    At 240°, the 14 hour estimate for a 9.5lb butt is pretty text book.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    Options
    1move said:
    At 240°, the 14 hour estimate for a 9.5lb butt is pretty text book.  
    Thank you for the correction. I never really cooked a pork shoulder just based my comment on all other meats. Good to know.
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Personally I haven't done a shoulder at less than 350 degrees lately so not sure. Hot my friend, after breakfast, done for dinner.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Every type of grill/smoker will cook differently and there's always a learning curve. You can 3-2-1 ribs on some smokers, you have to 3-1-1 on others. On my egg, if I am wrapping, it's maybe a 3-.5-.25 for ribs. Ribs are almost always done before 4 hours even unwrapped the whole time and cooking low.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    Options
    You can achieve a more consistent and aesthetically pleasing smoke ring by soaking your wood chips and chunks in water prior to the cook.  Try it.  You will see a difference. 
    gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!
  • msloan
    Options
    were you using the water pan in your gas smoker, that changes everything as well, thermo at top will read high, but down near the grill/water it will be closer to 212 degrees. every smoker and setup is different, so if your cooking on a water smoker over water your cooking at near 212, much longer cook than 250 at the grate in a bge. my ribs this weekend around 250 dome raised indirect went about 3.5 hours, no foil, no water pan.

I don't mean to argue with you there but I have a Myron Mixon MMS-48 water cooler and the entire space below the bottom rack is one big water pan and the temps down on near that bottom pan are well in excess of 212.  

If im cooking brisket or pork butt at 300 then the bottom rack will be right at 300 as well. 
  • fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    Options
    I'm going to recommend a couple of sites to check out.  These guys have been constantly crafting their approach to how they cook on the BGE over the years.  I have found they have dialed in how to cook on one and if I run into an issue during or after a cook it's usually something I overlooked in their explanation.  Both have contributed at some point on this forum over the years.  There is even an explanation on the first site listed below how to develop a smoke ring every time if you want.

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html

http://http//www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

• fishlessman
    Options
    msloan said:

I don't mean to argue with you there but I have a Myron Mixon MMS-48 water cooler and the entire space below the bottom rack is one big water pan and the temps down on near that bottom pan are well in excess of 212.  

If im cooking brisket or pork butt at 300 then the bottom rack will be right at 300 as well. 
    try cooking a brisket in an inexpensive bullet smoker at 225 top temp and measuring the temp under the brisket just above the water  ;)  the trick is to know your cooker.  im sure at 5000 dollars your cooker performs better than a hundred dollar propane bullet style smoker =) i cooked on one of those for along time
    fukahwee maine

• AD18
    AD18 Posts: 209
    Options
    I rarely, if ever, rely on the dome thermometer for my long cooks.  Hot and fast, yes.  I always use a Maverick remote thermometer on the grate beside whatever I'm cooking.  Know exactly what temp I have where I need it.  Agree with above posts on getting your times down pat, need to learn your cooker.  Have fun learnin':):)
    Large BGE, Weber 22.5 kettle, Weber Genesis
    Cobourg, Ontario
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    One other thing. During long cooks, the PS reaches about 600F from absorbing much of the IR from the lump. This makes the interior of the Egg a bit more like an oven. Myself, I only use the 'setter when I want more of an oven effect. Usually I use pie tins, or various odd metal containers I've found 2nd hand. Those only get to about 250F, so the heat at the felt level is more even.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    AD18 said:
    I rarely, if ever, rely on the dome thermometer for my long cooks.  Hot and fast, yes.  I always use a Maverick remote thermometer on the grate beside whatever I'm cooking.  Know exactly what temp I have where I need it.  Agree with above posts on getting your times down pat, need to learn your cooker.  Have fun learnin':):)
    I find that the grate area is one of the most limiting factors of the egg.  I routinely have the grate full of the item being cooked - leaving no room for the proper placement of a grate level temperature probe.  Grate level probes need to be out of the direct updrafts around the edges and not too close to the cold meat.  Finding a location for the probe to get a consistent temp is difficult.  Exact temps also vary from the front side to the left side to the back side to the right side to the under side to the top side.  I find the dome temps give you a consistent reading of whether you have a steady state within the egg. I think knowing if you have a steady heat source is more important than the exact temp. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• AD18
    AD18 Posts: 209
    Options
    AD18 said:
    I find that the grate area is one of the most limiting factors of the egg.  I routinely have the grate full of the item being cooked - leaving no room for the proper placement of a grate level temperature probe.  Grate level probes need to be out of the direct updrafts around the edges and not too close to the cold meat.  Finding a location for the probe to get a consistent temp is difficult.  Exact temps also vary from the front side to the left side to the back side to the right side to the under side to the top side.  I find the dome temps give you a consistent reading of whether you have a steady state within the egg. I think knowing if you have a steady heat source is more important than the exact temp. 
    Agree with what you say.  Seldom do I have a full grate and you do have to be careful where you put the probe.  Dome works fine, just depends on how picky you are about grate vs dome temp differences at start of cook.
    Large BGE, Weber 22.5 kettle, Weber Genesis
    Cobourg, Ontario
  • msloan
    Options
    msloan said:

try cooking a brisket in an inexpensive bullet smoker at 225 top temp and measuring the temp under the brisket just above the water  ;)  the trick is to know your cooker.  im sure at 5000 dollars your cooker performs better than a hundred dollar propane bullet style smoker =) i cooked on one of those for along time
    I'm sure that's a valid point.....and yes, with my cooker, it typically performs at a high level and very much maintains fairly even temps throughout the cook chamber.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    msloan said:
    msloan said:

I'm sure that's a valid point.....and yes, with my cooker, it typically performs at a high level and very much maintains fairly even temps throughout the cook chamber.
    thats a really nice cooker, need to get up close to one and maybe build a smaller version for myself =)
    fukahwee maine

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    @vb4677 welcome to Eggdiction and fellow Kansas City, Missourian.  As others have said cook to temp and feel not time with the egg.  For ribs I do 2-1-1 or 4 to 5 hours straight through depending on how meaty they are.  I like to foil after 2 hours to give the ribs a sweet profile with butter, brown sugar, honey and apple juice.  I take that's what you did for completions?  The last hour I put them  back on to firm back up and the last 30 spread on a little glaze.  I have never seen a 2# brisket before, where did you find that?  Being that small it may have cooked a lot faster then what you are used to. Again temp and feel, not time.

On the 9.5 lb pork butt's, lately when I have cooked at 250 or so they have been done in about 9 to 10 hours.  The egg is very efficient and things tend to cook faster.  Just going up to 275 to 300 will knock you cook down to about 6 to 7 hours on the pork butts.  I only wrap if I need to get through the stall and have it ready for dinner.  I think the rest of your plan on FTC for a few hours and pull are fine.  I have FTC'd pork butts for 6 hours before with no problem.  Better to start early and be done early then late.

Where in the metro are you located?  I am in KCMO north of the river near Liberty.
    Happy egging.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • vb4677
    Options
    @Ladeback69 I'm in the Lee's Summit area.  Thanks for your reply! I found the brisket at my nearby HyVee.  Cute little thing... still very edible, just a tad done.

I was able to talk with a very knowledgeable BGE Dealer this week, and they also confirmed that indeed, these Eggs are much more efficient than what I'm used to.  So, the temp probes will go in and I'll watch that more than the clock!

My plan is start the fire late Thursday night, pull the meat out midday, and then FTC it and head to the Lake of the Ozarks  (~3 hrs) - should be nice and tender and easy to pull (and eat!) when I get to the cabin.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    vb4677 said:
    @Ladeback69 I'm in the Lee's Summit area.  Thanks for your reply! I found the brisket at my nearby HyVee.  Cute little thing... still very edible, just a tad done.

I was able to talk with a very knowledgeable BGE Dealer this week, and they also confirmed that indeed, these Eggs are much more efficient than what I'm used to.  So, the temp probes will go in and I'll watch that more than the clock!

My plan is start the fire late Thursday night, pull the meat out midday, and then FTC it and head to the Lake of the Ozarks  (~3 hrs) - should be nice and tender and easy to pull (and eat!) when I get to the cabin.
    How is going?  Are you about done and ready to leave?

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • vb4677
    Options
    Kicked the tires and lit the fires at 11:30 tonite,.  Shoulders went on around 12:30. Made some baked beans and some pig shots to put on tomorrow. Been watching the dome temp like a hawk and I'm cruising at 230F. Will let it run whilst I slumber then may boost it to make it in time for dinner. Pics later. 
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Welcome to the BGE!

You ought to try cooking at higher temps to cut your cook times wayyyyy shorter!  9 lb boston butt at 350-375 cooked in about 6 hours.  The egg is a moisture rich environment, if your thermos are dialed in, you will be fine.  I use remote monitoring with the igrill and my phone/ipad and have yet to destroy a big cut of meat. 

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!