Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ahi Tuna and Salmon

Options
g8golfer
g8golfer Posts: 1,025
So I'm going to try to do some Ahi Tuna and Salmon on my XL egg this weekend. I'm a huge seafood nut but this will be my first seafood cook. I need some info on temps to cook at and some marinate and internal temp. The forum page is awesome for helping new learners out like me. 

Comments

• jeponline
    jeponline Posts: 290
    Options
    I don't eat salmon but I cooked some for my family a few days ago and they all said it was good.  I got fillets with the skin on and brushed some marinade on them.  Cooked them direct at 400* skin down for about 6 minutes then flipped for a couple more minutes to an internal of 140*.

I did a tuna steak as well with the same marinade on over the same heat and cooked it to 120* internal.  I wish I had simply cooked the salmon first than kicked up the temp on the egg and seared the tuna.
    Large BGE
    Huntsville, AL
  • g8golfer
    g8golfer Posts: 1,025
    Options
    I like my tuna rare so that's what I plan to do on it. Char the outside of the tuna. 
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    If it were me I would do the salmon first around 400 direct for 10-15 minuets depending on the thickness.  Once it was done I would crank the egg up to 500-550 to do a quick sear on the tuna.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,638
    Options
    When I grill salmon, I usually start flesh side down for a quick char/tightening up and then flip to skin down for the majority of the cook.

I would suggest you put a CI pan in the egg when it's coming up to temp and use that to sear your tuna after the salmon.  You'll get a better sear than on the grid, especially since your egg won't be nucular temps.