Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bought a FoodSaver... help with reheating food

Options
ColAngus
ColAngus Posts: 123
I bought a FoodSaver on Amazon last week and cooked some chicken breasts. 

I reheated by placing the vacuum-sealed chicken in a pot of boiling water for 10 minutes. Both times the chicken was too dry... to the point where I couldn't eat it. My wife had to drown it in some ranch.

I'm cooking a butt now (Mickey's turbo recipe) and want to vac-seal it for our family beach trip next week. 

We're driving down from Charlotte NC to Destin FL, but are staying in a hotel so we can split up the trip. I'm planning to vac-seal and freeze the pork ... is that a good idea?

How should I re-heat the pork? It will be defrosted by the time we eat. Should I reheat in the oven?

Comments

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    I haven't done chicken.  I have only done brisket and pork so far.

The pork turns out just OKAY.  

The brisket so far has turned out great with boiling water.

To answer your question though.  I'm not sure on how you should reheat it.  

Oven with a little juice in a pan covered with foil should be a good idea though.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    ColAngus said:
    I bought a FoodSaver on Amazon last week and cooked some chicken breasts. 

I reheated by placing the vacuum-sealed chicken in a pot of boiling water for 10 minutes. Both times the chicken was too dry... to the point where I couldn't eat it. My wife had to drown it in some ranch.

I'm cooking a butt now (Mickey's turbo recipe) and want to vac-seal it for our family beach trip next week. 

We're driving down from Charlotte NC to Destin FL, but are staying in a hotel so we can split up the trip. I'm planning to vac-seal and freeze the pork ... is that a good idea?

How should I re-heat the pork? It will be defrosted by the time we eat. Should I reheat in the oven?

10 minutes in 212 degree boiling water with already cooked chicken is why it was over cooked, I take food saver chicken breasts and SV them at 140 to reheat for 30 minutes and they come out great. Sous Vide is a great way to reheat food safer prepared food.
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I have had great luck reheating pork in the food saver bags.  Pork has much more fat than chicken so I think it is more forgiving.  I would reheat in simmering water.  A few tips:
    • Vac seal the pork as soon as you pull it.  It dries out the longer it sits.  
    • If you are freezing flatten out the bags as much as possible.  Reheats faster rather than a thick "ball" of pork. 
    • Reheat using simmering water (170-180 degrees).  Boiling water is not recommended because the heat can break the seal.  
    • I have had great luck just reheating from frozen.  A frozen bag that is about 1/2 inch - 3/4 inches thick takes about 45 minutes to reheat at 170-180.
    On a side note for chicken breast I would try to heat in 150-160 degree water. I could be way off base but it seems you shouldn't heat at a higher temp than you would cook to.  You are driving out extra moisture.  It doesn't really have anywhere to go but I suspect you might end up with more in the bag than in the meat.  

On to the question of whether you should freeze before transport.  I think I probably would freeze the bags just because it will help keep the ice from melting in the cooler.  Only downside is you might find they are still partially frozen when you get there.  However if you are using the simmering water reheat method see the last bullet above. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Stuff that has been pre-cooked and bagged doesn't need to get to boiling. Just a hot water bath, around 140F for long enough to warm it thru and hold it for  6 - 10 minutes will make it safe. 130F for twice as long, also safe. If it is dry, that most likely means the water was cooked out of the muscle during the initial cook. Try putting some Knorr concentrated stock in the bag. It won't help the dryness, but the stuff is almost gelatin and will lubricate the meat.

I've done PP bagged and frozen often. For me, reheat has worked best if I put a couple Tbl of butter in the bag when freezing. Then, when defrosted, wave it briefly, turn the bag to get the melted butter to flow around, and wave till bubbly.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    We usually reheat by warm setting in crock pot. It takes a long time though - I like the idea of @Grillmagic to sous vide for reheat!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • ColAngus
    ColAngus Posts: 123
    Options
    Great advice, folks! 

Thanks!

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I have not done chicken yet either, but with pulled pork or brisket I make a slit on one end and heat in the micro wave for 1 minute.  If it needs more I go by 15 to 30 second at a time.  Usually works for me.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I reheat pork in the oven.  Just mix a pouch of Goya Jamon with 1 cup water, pour over meat and heat covered in 220 degree oven for 30 mins or so.  Comes out moist and deelicious every time.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA