Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mold?

Options
has anyone ever had mold grow in their egg?  I just checked mine for a turkey...and its got a ton of mold in it.... Will it just die when i fire the thing up to 350?   do I just scrape it off?

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,346
    edited July 2016
    Options
    It's evident that you aren't using your egg often enough... I recommend egging 4-5 days a week to avoid these complications. :)

Is it covered? From what I've read here, covering your egg can cause mold

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• claphamsa
    claphamsa Posts: 52
    Options
    it is not covered, stupid me!  off to amazon....
  • Dawgs8033
    Dawgs8033 Posts: 113
    Options
    My dad covers his and has gotten mold. I would just burn it out then do your turkey.
    LGBE, SBGE,Blackstone,Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe.
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    Just fire it up and let it run for a while to burn it off then clean it out 
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    Humid in Houston...I ran a half a bag of lump at 500 until it went out.....used a brush when it cooled and did it again with the remaining half bag.....yep no excuse for not egging enough...
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • claphamsa
    Options
    I was on vacation :'(
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,661
    Options
    Burn it.

Then leave your lower draft door half open. My eggs were got moldy a few times. I started leaving the draft door open and it hasn't happened again

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I have never had mold in my XL, but my little Kahuna has a lot growing in it, because lack of use.  Not sure when I will use it again it's not worth the money I spent on it.  

Light up egg and take it to 600 for awhile and see if it is gone.  
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    MAPP torch can speed up the process too
    Apollo Beach, FL
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    Options
    claphamsa said:
    it is not covered, stupid me!  off to amazon....
    The covers can actually trap moisture, and make the mold issue worse. Leave the draft door open between cooks and let it breathe a little. You can scrape off the mold with a ball of tinfoil, and kill the rest with fire!
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • BBQBuddy
    BBQBuddy Posts: 275
    Options
    Yep, common in So. Florida.  Burn and brush.
    2 Large BGE, MiniMax, Miami, FL

• Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    Options
    Yes, mold was an issue when we lived in Louisiana. It can show up very quickly too. I posted asking about safety and everyone said it was fine as it burns off once you light the charcoal, which proved to be true. 
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I've had mold in my Eggs many times, I'm afraid.  I thought that getting the Smokeware caps would solve the problem because they can be open when not in use and keep the rain out.  But no, still get mold if I don't use them for a while.  I don't know whether there's a risk to cooking before really burning that stuff out with a clean burn or not, but I always do a clean burn before cooking anything.  Mold gives me the creeps.
  • Tony_T
    Tony_T Posts: 303
    edited July 2016
    Options
    You'll need to fire-up the Egg to about 700° for about an hour to burn out the existing mold.

To prevent mold, after a cook when the lump is out, place a small twig, (stick, golf tee) btwn the lid and the base, then crack open the bottom vent a bit (⅛").  This will allow enough air flow to prevent mold (even with a cover).  
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Mold needs moisture and food in order to grow.  The mold in your egg is eating the food you left in your egg after your last cook.  If you are not going to use your egg for a while, it is a good idea to clean up the organic matter.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• claphamsa
    Options
    thanks for all the advice!  cooked off the mold...made the best turkey ever!
  • twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    Options
    I sometimes go a couple of weeks between cooks and used to get mold in rainy or humid weather. Even opening the bottom vent didn't cure it. It helped, but not entirely. Getting a SmokeWare cap is what did the trick. I open it and the bottom vent all the way and never get mold anymore.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    claphamsa said:
    thanks for all the advice!  cooked off the mold...made the best turkey ever!
    Pics or it didn't happen. ;)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga