Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Very small brisket, trying to get discussion count up to 1000 for legitamacy purposes.

Options

Comments

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited July 2016
    Options
    The brisket was within two days of the sell-by date. I would not have cooked it. 

When in doubt, throw it out. 

You could have cooked four sausages and cut a hot dog bun in two and posted those pics instead. 

Would have been done sooner and just as close to your 1000 "food oriented" posts. 

Not bad though, for an improv'd cook

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    One technical note I forgot to mention, and this is just what I do, there is no right or wrong here:  I normally don't add sugar to my low and slow rubs.  Partly this is because I like my savory stuff savory.  Another reason is because I find it burns and can get, to me at least, nasty. 

In this cook, since it was such a short cook with a ramp from low and slow to almost turbo, I used a rub with sugar because I knew I wouldn't have the time to develop a proper bark.  Anyway, it worked as planned.  The bark was delicious, although our guest's little kid ate everything but the bark (almost wanted to call him out on that but he's from New Zealand and he gets a pass).  ITS THE BEST PART, KID!!!!  (I wanted to say, but didn't). 

His dad was super cool...his hobbies - fishing and racing cars.  He has 8 Porsche race cars.  Fkn insane.  We hit it off.  He showed me a video of him when his brakes failed (trail braking) and he hit a barrier like 20' off the ground.  Broke 6 ribs.  GoPro worked the whole time.   Like I said, I like him.
    Options
    The brisket was within two days of the sell-by date. I would not have cooked it. 

When in doubt, throw it out. 

You could have cooked four sausages and cut a hot dog bun in two and posted those pics instead. 

Would have been done sooner and just as close to you 1000 "food oriented" posts. 

Not bad though, for an improv'd cook

All of a sudden, I don't feel so good.  This forum lacks the emoticons to express that.  I SHOULD HAVE COOKED THE HOTDOGS.  I mean, I had (correction - HAVE) the mustard.

edited July 2016
    Options
    Nice!  I didnt even know you ever actually cooked anything. Im impressed. 
    hahah  I don't.  I stole all those pictures from the interwebz.  We actually eat fast food three meals a day.  ;) 

I hope you stole them from Raichlen. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,761
    Options
    Just wanted to say the brisket looks f'in fantastic. Great work.
    Stillwater, MN
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I'm dragging the Blackstone griddle to work tomorrow and cooking burgers for the lab.  (like 40 people).  I mixed up some homemade bacon with burger meat for @Thatgrimguy 's party, but there was so much food, I came back with it uncooked.  I did cook the boudin, and when I was leaving, I said - "Hey y'all, chow down on that bag of jerky"  (I had made a huge bag of fire hot jerkey from a 13 pound rump roast)  One guy goes "Thanks man!" and puts this huge bag of jerky on another huge pile of "go food".  It was at the end of the day, I laughed.
    Options
    Great audible and documentation.  SV to victory.  Banquet right there.  I recall you and @SGH did a high heat ( >400*F ?) brisket at Brisket Camp so clearly you weren't skerred especially with the ramp.  Well played.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    @lousubcap Good memory.  We had to lock the place up the night before so everything was done turbo.  I know it's not really talked about much but I'm a firm believer in the ramp. 

I hit the stall, and it's balls to the wall.
    Options
    I'm dragging the Blackstone griddle to work tomorrow and cooking burgers for the lab.  (like 40 people).  I mixed up some homemade bacon with burger meat for @Thatgrimguy 's party, but there was so much food, I came back with it uncooked.  I did cook the boudin, and when I was leaving, I said - "Hey y'all, chow down on that bag of jerky"  (I had made a huge bag of fire hot jerkey from a 13 pound rump roast)  One guy goes "Thanks man!" and puts this huge bag of jerky on another huge pile of "go food".  It was at the end of the day, I laughed.
    Ha, I noticed that!!  Whatever. He must have really liked that Jerky!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    That stuff was HOT.  He's probably one of your employees that spent the better part of Monday in the john.  (and an angry birds expert by now).
    Options
    Well, jacked my post count up.  Trying to hit 20k.  And not wasting the effort on troll threads that end up gettin buffaloed.  I'll call it a success. Hit 20k, then blow up like a mushroom cloud, get banned for life, hiatus and introspective on life, more time goes buy, lurk a bit, create a new account, start over, repeat.  Reminds me of Stike.  Wutever happened to that guy?
    Options
    Well, jacked my post count up.  Trying to hit 20k.  And not wasting the effort on troll threads that end up gettin buffaloed.  I'll call it a success. Hit 20k, then blow up like a mushroom cloud, get banned for life, hiatus and introspective on life, more time goes buy, lurk a bit, create a new account, start over, repeat.  Reminds me of Stike.  Wutever happened to that guy?

you're a real beginner. Don't you know that at 20k you just create another account?

sheesh
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    That brisket looks on point . I like those primes when I can get them. I've been doing some fast briskets lately. And no they don't look that good. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I think we should help pick your next account name. I'll go with "trumpsnutsack". 

Little Rock, AR

• nolaegghead
    Options
    I think we should help pick your next account name. I'll go with "trumpsnutsack". 
    I'm already using that one on the bbq brethren forum.  I do like you thought of it too. ;)
    Options
    texaswig said:
    That brisket looks on point . I like those primes when I can get them. I've been doing some fast briskets lately. And no they don't look that good. 
    I gave it the sous vide head start.  Then dried it with a fan so I'd get the early start on bark formation.  And it was already around 140 some degrees when it went in the smoker, I didn't have to deal with the condensation. 

Wet meat = slow bark formation.  And a good time.
    Options

you're a real beginner. Don't you know that at 20k you just create another account?

sheesh
    I've heard about that Y20K problem.  After this first cycle I'll lose my neophyteness, right? right?  Huh?  Right?  Then start a strict regiment of Celexa Lexapro Luvox Paxil Pexeva Prozac Sarafem Zoloft and Evan Williams with Zero.

Options
    That stuff was HOT.  He's probably one of your employees that spent the better part of Monday in the john.  (and an angry birds expert by now).
    It wasn't that hot.
    NOLA
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    It wasn't that hot.
    You're a new orleanean.  Or whatever denizens from here are called. Most anyone else...

Options
    That's a myth.  Also, yes, please.
    NOLA
  • mikeinccfl
    mikeinccfl Posts: 119
    Options
    Looks amazing! Is the cat a certified BBQ judge?
    L BGE, XL appetite
    Cape Coral, FL
  • boxer327
    boxer327 Posts: 1
    Options

Damn bro you don't play that's a rocking brisket and you were worried. LOL What kind of cat is that Bengle or Savannah?

• Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    I think I need a SV....
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,732
    Options
    You should have boiled it in alegro. Boiled brisket is instant interweb credits. 
    Ftfy 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    I've seen people doing some SV brisket, but never thought too much of it.

this post has me reconsidering
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options

cooking burgers for the lab.  
    What do you do?  
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    @nolaegghead- not a bad post for superfluous thread-boosting :)
    New Orleans LA
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    boxer327 said:

Damn bro you don't play that's a rocking brisket and you were worried. LOL What kind of cat is that Bengle or Savannah?

@boxer327 Thanks - He's a Bengal, name is Jazz
    Options
    johnnyp said:

cooking burgers for the lab.  
    What do you do?  
    Chemist/IT - Mostly pl/sql