Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rtic Softpak ship date missed again. Other suggestions?

Mayberry
Mayberry Posts: 750
edited July 2016 in EggHead Forum
I've had an Rtic Softpak 30 on order for a few month.   Every time I have a ship date, they say it's on schedule until the day after it is supposed to ship, and then push the date back 15 more days.   I'm tired of waiting and about to cancel my order.  I'm not taking the thing to Alaska for Salmon fishing.   I just want something for all day family outings, beach trips, easily transportable and leakproof.   At this point, I'm willing to pay a little more instead of trying to save money.  I'd like something that could hold ice for 24 hours in the sun, if that's possible.    Don't like the top zipper on Yeti Hopper.  I've seen Orca and AO, and both look nice.   Anyone have experience with any softpak cooler they really love and feel lives up to the hype and is durable?
Athens, GA
XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590

Comments

• coomdaddy
    coomdaddy Posts: 128
    My SP30 was estimated to ship on 7/6 when I ordered it.  It shipped yesterday.  What was your original estimate?  I placed my order May 13 I think.
  • Mayberry
    July 3rd.   It was delayed by 10 days and now they are saying another 15+ days, after they missed yesterday's ship date.    The Order Status still shows yesterday as the expected Ship Date, but the lady I spoke with at Rtic says it'll be "another few weeks, as long as they get another shipment in by then".   Just tired of waiting, and I have no reasonable expectation it'll even ship in a few weeks.   I paid up front and feel like I've been jerked around ever since.   I'm sure it's a fine product, but the customer service seems pretty poor, and I've missed all our summer vacations with it.   Just another life lesson in you get what you pay for.  I wouldn't have missed another $100, and could have had any other brand all summer.  
    Athens, GA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I got my 40 soft side after 3.5 months.  It's worth it.  I love it.  Been using it almost daily.  Be patient, grasshopper.
    I've heard good things about the Polar Bear soft coolers. I think @hotch has one and likes his. 

I have an Engel dry box (which I bought thanks to the many enablers on this forum who help with spending your money for you) and have been very pleased with it. Easy to carry around, and works well for short trips. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    So they took your money for a product they don't have? Then missed the ship date twice? Seems like you have been more than patient so far. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I really like my Polar Bear coolers.  I got two of the 24 packs for around $80 during the holidays.  If you don't need the water proof h20 version the softpack keeps ice a long time.  It does have a top similar to the hopper with a zipper in the middle but it goes from end to end and is easier to open than the hopper. 

The only problem is for me it would be hard to buy one knowing that they do a 2 for 1 special every holiday season.  I used to be able to find them for around $50 on Amazon but don't see any now.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    caliking said:

I have an Engel dry box (which I bought thanks to the many enablers on this forum who help with spending your money for you) and have been very pleased with it. Easy to carry around, and works well for short trips. 
    I have an Engel dry box as well. Also thanks to this forum. I've been pleased with it too. Works great for FTC.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,110
    I wrote about the Ozark Trail in this thread 

Finally got around to trying it out last night-
    (4) 24 oz Polar bottles-1/2 ice, 1/2 water
    (1) 32 oz camelback bottle, water
    (4) 12 oz cans- (2) kids, (2) adult beverages
    (1) Blue Ice block
    (1) Collapsible Water Bottle Frozen- These are handy as you get water as they melt
    Various Snacks

Carried that sucker 1 mile to event and 1 mile back.  3/4 mile would have been easy, last 1/4 mile with that weight was tough.

Performance- 97 degrees outside for event- after 4 hrs outside and 2 in car neither the blue ice or the frozen bottle showed any signs of defrosting.  We were in/ out of the pack 20+ times at event.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    yljkt said:
    So they took your money for a product they don't have? Then missed the ship date twice? Seems like you have been more than patient so far. 
    It's the RTIC way

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Yeah, when you cancel it, it'll probably set to ship the day after you cancel.  

Why not just wait? Will it really change the world?  You've made it this far in your life without it.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    Yeti
    New Albany, Ohio 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    i dont think they have a good handle where your order is =) it may have even shipped already, that happened to me, i had my cooler and they still changed the dates
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • coomdaddy
    Yeah, you know the deal going in with RTIC, I wouldn't cancel now.  Hang in there.  

Didn't some guy in here say something about his company ordering one for every employee?  That had to set them back some filling that order.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    It's a great cooler. I would wait. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • jakebge
    jakebge Posts: 79
    I have the RTIC SoftPack 20 and I have been surprised how much my family uses it.    I also purchased a couple of Arctic Ice Chillin' Brew & Tundra cooler packs and they have been a great addition to the RTIC SoftPack.

I am highly satisfied with both the RTIC and Arctic.
  • nth78
    nth78 Posts: 154
    Gander Mountain PermaChill
  • Lmidkiff
    Lmidkiff Posts: 442
    edited July 2016
    I have the RTIC soft 20. I was frustrated with the delayed shipping and lack of communication but will say I love the cooler. I worry with how they manage customers and orders  that they may not be around long, or will end up being a much smaller company. I also own a Polar Bear and like it a lot too. 
    McKinney, TX
  • Mayberry
    edited July 2016
    I'm sure I will like the cooler, it's just the complete lack of regard for their customers that bothers me.  Waiting for months, ship dates being extended the day of, taking money up front, only 90 day warranty.    It just all points to a company that won't be around down the road.  I don't mind paying for quality products, but customer service means as much as price and quality.  
    If I cancel and get another brand, I think I'd get either an AO or Polar Bear waterproof., both of which I could get this week, before my trip to the mountains next weekend.  Any opinions on which of these is higher quality/holds ice longer?  I already have plenty of hard coolers, including a Yeti 45.  I really want a soft cooler for beach trips/pool days/trout fishing/golf.....just day trips.
    Athens, GA
  • cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    FWIW, my estimated ship date when I ordered back in June was July 26.  Then, a couple of weeks ago it switched to July 13, then actually shipped July 17 (yesterday).  So, they ended up shipping about 9 days earlier than originally estimated and about 4 days after a recent updated estimate.

It sounds like they've gotten things under better control since the early days where they missed the ship dates by many month.  But, I'm about "coolered" out in terms of capacity, so my needs should be minimal going forward.
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    My soft30 also shipped yesterday. It had original been back ordered until end of August so I'm happy with the improved delivery. Just in time for a beach trip.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Judy, I have 3 of the Polar Bear coolers as well. 1 standard 24 pack and 2 of the high dollar H20 series. I really like them except the straps are crap and straight pull zipper makes it hard to get things in and out. I really like the shape of the RTIC wide mouth soft cooler. I plan on getting one in the future. The RTIC, like the Polar Bear WILL LEAK if it falls over and you have any melted ice in it. The zipper is not water tight.
    Have several friends with the RTIC. They really like them. For the price I would try and hold out a little longer.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • MattBTI
    MattBTI Posts: 417
    I'd look at the Bison 24 softpak. i got one in the mail the other day for my gals bday coming up. 24 cans 10lbs of ice and supposed to hold for 24 hours. assuming that it isnt opened all the time.
    Pratt, KS
  • MattBTI
    MattBTI Posts: 417
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    MattBTI said:
    I'd look at the Bison 24 softpak. i got one in the mail the other day for my gals bday coming up. 24 cans 10lbs of ice and supposed to hold for 24 hours. assuming that it isnt opened all the time.
    Very similar to the Polar Bear, looks nice.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • coomdaddy
    Mine arrived today.  Very happy with how it looks.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    Its a race between an RTIC cooler and a Misen knife.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS