Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Tenderloin Char Siu

I have been dying to try this meal and was in the area of a local Chinese Supermarket today.  I found a marinade that I read about on the internet.  On amazon.ca they wanted 18.00 a package and I found the same one at the market today for 1.89.  Cant beat that so I figured that I would try my hand at Char Siu.  

I prepared the marinade and let the pork sit in the mixture for 6 hours in the fridge. 

I prepared the Kamado to 350 degrees and used a smoking pot that I made out of a dutch oven.  I have to say, the smoking pot was a really neat idea.  Basically you place wood chunks in a small dutch oven that has three small holes drilled in the bottom.  Place the pot in the fire pit and wait for it to heat up.  Once it is heated, the wood begins to slowly burn.  The smoke pushes through the holes into the fire pit.  The dirty smoke is burnt off and the beautiful blue clean smoke rises.  I used peach for the cook and it smelled so different than just throwing wood on the fire.  

Anyways, right before I put these on the grill, I hit them with a dusting of Lanes BBQ Q-NAMI rub.  This stuff is so good!

Cooked these guys direct until and IT of 145.  The Char Siu created a sweet coating like candy

Brought them inside and let them rest for 15 min in foil.  They were crazy juicy when I sliced them up.

Finished the meal off with some fried rice from my local Chinese restaurant.  and garnished with sweet and sour sauce and green peppers.

Comments