Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

KJ - Costco Road Show

There is a KJ roadshow coming to the Costco in Winston-Salem NC. I am considering buying a KJ jr. I understand from previous post on this that the Jr is $399 at the roadshow. Does anyone know what comes with that price?  Platesetter? Ash tool?  Thanks 
Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"

Comments

• BizGreenEgg
    BizGreenEgg Posts: 301
    They don't have a PS per se, but it has a woo type apparatus that holds an indirect piece.  The holder can be used for both raised direct, or indirect with the stone.  Also has an ash tool.
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    Can do direct and indirect right out of the box. You should hit their website to see how it all fits together. You should like it. I love my Jr.

Be sure to buy a few bags of charcoal while you're there.

The Roadshow is hitting my Costco starting on Thursday and I'll be dropping in to buy 6 or 8 bags of lump.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,533
    @HeavyG    I am hoping the normal package you mention is what you get at roadshow price. If I do it I will have a green large and a red Jr. 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Pridnjoy
    Pridnjoy Posts: 130
    @HeavyG    I am hoping the normal package you mention is what you get at roadshow price. If I do it I will have a green large and a red Jr. 
    It is. Went to Roadshow in Charlotte in May. Still on the fence about swinging by W-S and getting the Jr I didn't buy...
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Mine came with Jr, deflector, woo-type holder, ash tool,  grate gripper, and box of starters. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    I recommend you buy their lump. Wish I had gotten more
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• JohnnyTarheel
    Definitely will check the lump out. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    It will. They don't sell "stripped down" packages at the Roadshows - same stuff as normal retail.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• JohnnyTarheel
    Thank you all for your responses!!!!
  • Such a tough decision to make. I almost bought one at Myrtle Beach last week, but held out. I saw they are coming to Winston, and am trying to convince myself that I don't need it. But it's very tough....!!!!
    LBGE
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Only buy the lump of its the red bags the brown bags aren't very good.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Bro. . I can't get Rockwood here, CA - I love KJ lump. I would buy the pallet of you have the cash. 

• tarheelmatt
    Such a tough decision to make. I almost bought one at Myrtle Beach last week, but held out. I saw they are coming to Winston, and am trying to convince myself that I don't need it. But it's very tough....!!!!
    It's a great companion to a Lg.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • bigbadben
    bigbadben Posts: 397
    Such a tough decision to make. I almost bought one at Myrtle Beach last week, but held out. I saw they are coming to Winston, and am trying to convince myself that I don't need it. But it's very tough....!!!!
    You came here to be convinced NOT to buy a grill?  ;)
  • bigbadben

Lit said:
    Only buy the lump of its the red bags the brown bags aren't very good.
    They stopped making the brown bags. Only red bags now. The red bags are South American lump, burns long and hot!  

I recently pulled out out an old brown bag. It is less dense, but burns hot and smells so sweet when lit.  
  • bigbadben

HeavyG said:
    It will. They don't sell "stripped down" packages at the Roadshows - same stuff as normal retail.
    Yes every you need to cook. 

Kamado, stand/handles, heat deflector, ash tool, firebox/ring, powder coated top vent and SS cooking grate.

i agree stock up on as much lump as you can afford!  
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Make sure you get there early. I hit up the Myrtle Beach Costco on 7/1(ended the 3rd) and all they had left was 2 Classics and 6 2-packs of lump. I bought 2 packs of the lump to give it a try. I don't know how busy W-S Costco is, but at least when I worked at Costco, the Myrtle Beach one was the slowest warehouse(in terms of sales) on the entire East Coast and Canada.
  • bigbadben said:
    You came here to be convinced NOT to buy a grill?  ;)
    Not sure what the heck I was thinking. I think I just come here to tell my girlfriend...."look, told you I was normal!"  =)
    LBGE
  • Such a tough decision to make. I almost bought one at Myrtle Beach last week, but held out. I saw they are coming to Winston, and am trying to convince myself that I don't need it. But it's very tough....!!!!
    @tarheelmatt what do you normally use it for?
    LBGE
  • tarheelmatt
    edited July 2016
    @tarheelmatt what do you normally use it for?
    Used this past weekend to roast some ribeye caps to be finished on the medium.  Medium had potatoes on first at 450°.  

I use it a lot for small cooks.  If I need two Eggs, the Med and Jr gets the call.  Large is really for larger cooks and low and slows.  

Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Did you get the caps on Greensboro? I can never find Prime meat there, but maybe I am looking in the wrong place
    LBGE
  • Are the minimax'x around 499--or maybe they are higher.  I have a small already to go with large so can't really add anything.  I did look at them at our costco--draft door not as well constructed and I did not like their daisy wheel as much.  Someone mentioned they sell the demo ones they have open at end of road show at cheaper prices--not sure if you could score a discount on the Jr or not--they don't cook on them and seems they would want to sell them rather than haul them back to the store or warehouse not in a box.  They generally have one of each size on the floor.
  • tarheelmatt
    Did you get the caps on Greensboro? I can never find Prime meat there, but maybe I am looking in the wrong place
    They have them in Greensboro, but I got those at Winston-Salem last week.  Prime stuff is on the right side of the meat section, near the bread, in Greensboro. 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Buckeye79
    Buckeye79 Posts: 46
    I love my Joe Jr. from Costco. It came with the stone for indirect, grate tool, ash tool, and fire starters as described above.

The lump charcoal is also fantastic!
  • bigbadben
    Are the minimax'x around 499--or maybe they are higher.  I have a small already to go with large so can't really add anything.  I did look at them at our costco--draft door not as well constructed and I did not like their daisy wheel as much.  Someone mentioned they sell the demo ones they have open at end of road show at cheaper prices--not sure if you could score a discount on the Jr or not--they don't cook on them and seems they would want to sell them rather than haul them back to the store or warehouse not in a box.  They generally have one of each size on the floor.

They sell the demos during the show and throw in goodies. For example buy the BigJoe demo and get the Jr for free. That is a 24 inch Kamado and a Jr for $1200. From what I have seen on other forums that deal tends to sell out 5 minutes into the first day.  The classic size come with "stuff". Not sure exactly what. I think CI accessories. 
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Are the minimax'x around 499--or maybe they are higher.  I have a small already to go with large so can't really add anything.  I did look at them at our costco--draft door not as well constructed and I did not like their daisy wheel as much.  Someone mentioned they sell the demo ones they have open at end of road show at cheaper prices--not sure if you could score a discount on the Jr or not--they don't cook on them and seems they would want to sell them rather than haul them back to the store or warehouse not in a box.  They generally have one of each size on the floor.
    The best price I've seen in my surrounding cities is $640 for the MM..  That is why I'm considering the KJ Jr.  
  • JohnnyTarheel

The best price I've seen in my surrounding cities is $640 for the MM..  That is why I'm considering the KJ Jr.  
    I'm sorry $540 is the cheapest I've found for the MM. 
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Hard to not go with KJ- 
    Greensboro, NC
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I think I got my KJ Jr for $350 in a price screwup at Ace Hardware.
    I think I got my KJ Jr for $350 in a price screwup at Ace Hardware.
    $338.40 to be exact. Not sure why I remember exactly what I paid for my Jr, but I do.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker