Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How do you do Pizza on the Egg???

Options
2»

Comments

• ThrillSeeker
    ThrillSeeker Posts: 306
    Options

@tgs2401 Is that Boboli's or Mama Mary's crust or something else?

Large BGE - Medium BGE - Too many accessories to name

Antioch, TN

• tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 423
    Options

@tgs2401 Is that Boboli's or Mama Mary's crust or something else?

@thrillseeker The Boboli's thin crust is pretty good but there is another one that I like better. I'll look at the package and let you know what it is. We have a fruit market/Deli here called Paul's and they have been the only place I can find them.
    One large BGE in Louisville, KY.
  • mrs_story
    mrs_story Posts: 136
    Options
    We are new to egging, and so far we've done take & bake pizzas.  From Wal-Mart, Sam's, and Papa Murphy's.  We were able to slide the Wal-Mart & Sam's pizzas onto our stone.  With the Papa Murphy's, we started it on the paper tray (on the stone) and then slid it out a short while later to finish directly on the stone. 

Prior to getting the egg, we would bake homemade pizza in the house, using dough made in my bread machine.  It uses beer!  This is the recipe:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/142972/bread-machine-pizza-dough/

When baking in the oven, we like to bake the dough for ~5 minutes on a preheated sheet, so that it would be more crispy, then add the toppings & finish.  Not sure if that will be necessary on the egg.  Trial and error.  ;)

And I plan to try this recipe for the sauce.  Bought the can of San Marzano tomatoes and a jar of anchovies yesterday! 

http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2012/02/pizza-sauce-lets-play-hide-little-fish.html

Good luck on your pizza adventures! 

• ThrillSeeker
    Options
    Normally I use the pre-made dough balls that they sell in the Publix deli.  I take it home, roll it out, stretch it, toss it, and then use 6 in 1 tomatoes for the sauce.  It normally does pretty good at 450 degrees.

Antioch, TN

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options

General pizza tips:

2.) If you preheat your cooking stone, there's absolutely no need for parchment paper, corn meal, etc.  A few minutes after it "cooks" on the stone it won't be sticking anymore.

I agree with most of this, but I have a metal peel, so making the pizza on parchment paper is for me.  I don't like the feel of corn meal or any other gritty material.  I like cooking around 550 and half way through the cook, when I turn the pizza I pull the parchment paper out.

Oh, so you use parchment so the crust doesn't stick to the peel (not the stone). It will stick to wood too if you let it sit too long.  Just gotta give it a little shake every 30 seconds or so, at least that's what's required with mine.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• dfrelich
    dfrelich Posts: 104
    Options

@tarheelmatt  -- i note you have firebrick at the rear of the egg.  Any reason why?   FWIW... it gave me idea to try because I notice my egg burns bit hotter in the rear.  Having some sort of fire control may help?
    X-Large & Large
    Frederick County, MD
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    I also use Publix's pre-made dough.  I do mine at the temp recommended, 400.  It is important to let the stone and dome heat a long time, I keep it at temp for an hour before cooking.  The higher in the dome the better.  I use the PS legs up, grid, WOO upside down holding the stone.  Rotate the pie every few minutes of your cook to avoid scorched spots.  Don't overload ingredients.        http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1190504/pizza-phase-1-for-new-years-eve#latest

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    dfrelich said:

@tarheelmatt  -- i note you have firebrick at the rear of the egg.  Any reason why?   FWIW... it gave me idea to try because I notice my egg burns bit hotter in the rear.  Having some sort of fire control may help?
    Great observation.  Yes, you're exactly right.  I will position fire bricks where hot spots occur to help distribute heat better.  I do this with low and slows too.  FWIW, the rear is prone to be the hottest point.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • ThrillSeeker
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @doc_eggerton The pizza in your post looks great.  I'm going to try getting mine higher in the dome and lower the temp next time. Also gonna try the parchment paper.

Antioch, TN

• billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,530
    edited July 2016
    Options
    StaMic006 said:
    reload said:
    I've been waiting to try pizza on my new stone for several weeks now.  Does anyone have suggestions for a first time pizza guy?  Should I make my own crust or buy something premade?
    If you live near a Publix Supermarket go and buy one of their doe balls in the bakery cold section.  Sit it out for one hour prior to rolling/tossing, throw on some sauce, cheese and any other toppings (venison sausage is my fav) and you are gtg.  You will be amazed how easy it is.  I go 750ish for about 7-10 min.    
    Did this last night....i go 10- 12 at 5 to 550....
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• dfrelich
    dfrelich Posts: 104
    Options
    dfrelich said:

Great observation.  Yes, you're exactly right.  I will position fire bricks where hot spots occur to help distribute heat better.  I do this with low and slows too.  FWIW, the rear is prone to be the hottest point.  
    So you do it at the grill level not below?  Have you tried to experiment doing this right at the platesetter?
    X-Large & Large
    Frederick County, MD
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    dfrelich said:
    dfrelich said:

So you do it at the grill level not below?  Have you tried to experiment doing this right at the platesetter?
    Yes, I have, but prefer the pie to be up high in the dome.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site