Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasket "cleaning"

Options
wrobs
wrobs Posts: 109
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I got a crazy idea and wondered if the gasket could be "cleaned" as a means to maybe prolong the life expectancy. My Egg is a year old and I have noticed alot of carbonizing buildup and decided to try an experiment. I took a soft bristled (old) toothbrush and some Goop hand cleaner and softly scrubbed the gasket. I rubbed/brushed the entire gasket with cleaner and then took a wet rag and wiped off the residue. I then took the toothbrush and a small bucket of water and "rinsed" the gasket by repeated washing to remove any excess cleaner. I was pleasantly surprised with the amount of gunk that actually came off and the results were great. Although the gasket wasn't returned to "like new" condition, it did clean up rather well and restored some "fluffiness" and revealed one area where it was cooked pretty good but was hidden by all the buildup. I also noted that the original gaskets were lined up with each other in the rear instead of being offset to prevent leakage. This explains why I had significant leakage when I first got the egg.
I also think that these gasket will hold up to the high temps as long as there are not significant leaks. I believe the leaks create hot spots and eventually cause gross failure and then during a high temp cook, BAM! gasket is fried. With the one charred area I found I will now need to replace the gasket but I will likely include a "gasket cleaning PM" as a preventive tool in the future. I spent 30-40 minutes to clean top and bottom and then let air dry for a couple hours propped open. It will take some time to see if this will prove to be worthwhile but it may be worth the time and effort.
wrobs

Comments

• Why1504
    Why1504 Posts: 277
    Options
    Cleaning the gasket may be ok but I would use only hot water. Goop is not food safe. The egg is porus and will absorb the goop and then release the goop fumes under high heat. IMHO not good eats. Good Luck!
  • Unknown
    Options
    wrobs,[p]Sounds like you're a Virgo! My original gasket lasted 5 years but it was able, for some odd reason, to maintain a good seal. I think most of the people on here would think twice about cleaning their gasket with a tooth brush. Too much like being in the military for most of us. [p]But if that's what maked your hair blow back, then by all means, scrub away. Just my personal observation. No offence.