Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Holy Cow Tri Tip

Options
Hawg Fan
Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
Tri Tip is a favorite at my house and the only real question every time I cook it is what kind of rub to use.  Tonight's rub was Holy Cow.  Plated with fresh veggies from the farmer's market.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Bam! Home run!
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I need to give this another go- family didn't love the first one I made. 

Yours looks great- 
    Greensboro, NC
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Holy Cow! Indeed. 

Little Rock, AR

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Looks awesome, love the pig plate holding beef.  I have 2.5 lb one in the freezer waiting to be cooked.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    @Hawg Fan How'd you like it compared to previous cooks? Looks awesome!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Wylecyot
    Wylecyot Posts: 203
    Options
    That's a 5-star cook right there!  Nice job!
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Kamado Joe Jr, 36" Blackstone Griddle Blackstone Tailgater and Roccbox owner/operator from Los Angeles
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Just noticed the granite, does everyone have the same granite on this forum?  That must be a very popular one.  Again great cook.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Hawg Fan
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    @Hawg Fan How'd you like it compared to previous cooks? Looks awesome!
    I like the Holy Cow, but it has a little too much pepper in it for the wife.  I've tried various rubs including the Santa Maria rub and my favorite is the Fiesta Fajita seasoning.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    I need to give this another go- family didn't love the first one I made. 

Yours looks great- 
    Tri tip has a lot of variables. Prime is easy, salt and pepper and grill to 130 IT. Choice I usually reverse sear to 100 and then sear to 130. Let them rest tented in foil for at least 20 min. If I'm not sure of grade I will marinade for up to 24 hours in apple cider vinegar, beer and herbs. 
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    Wegmans has tritip. They are the first store in this area to carry, so I've never made it since Wegmans is just a month or so new to this area. What is a good way to do it?  I'm thinking reverse sear. Need help
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
    Options
    Yours looks dead on tasty
    Member since 2009
  • Hawg Fan
    Options
    500 said:
    Wegmans has tritip. They are the first store in this area to carry, so I've never made it since Wegmans is just a month or so new to this area. What is a good way to do it?  I'm thinking reverse sear. Need help
    As @jabam  stated in his reply, a reverse sear works best for tri tip.  I cook indirect at 350-400 until an IT of 110 and then pull the plate setter and lower my grid and sear until 135 IT.  Good luck.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I prefer searing until I have the sear marks that I want, usually happens at 110°F, then throwing the platesetter in, much easier to avoid overshooting the temp for me. 
    Options
    I've had success with reverse sear. I think I'll try it that way. Thanks for the tips. I think I'll do a kosher salt  only dry salt for a few hours ahead of time to help retain moisture and get it salted good. 
    Member since 2009
  • Sonny3
    Sonny3 Posts: 455
    Options
    Dang that looks good, I have yet to try a TT, but your pics sure make it look like it may be time for me to venture out there.
    Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.