Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasket

Options
How many low and slow cooks can one do before the gasket has to be replace?  I dread thinking about this task and would like to know do any of y'all ever take the top off the Egg to do a better job of removing and installing the new gasket?  Thank you for your comments. 
Auburn, Alabama

Comments

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,570
    Options
    I ran my original gasket for at least 18 months doing all kind of temp cooks.. Also you don't have to remove the dome when you replace. Order your replacement rutland from @RRP aka Ron. He supplies a step by step and it is really easy.. 
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • flexfusion
    flexfusion Posts: 240
    Options
    Thank you Johnmitchell I'll follow-up on your suggestion.  Appreciate your help and Happy 4th. of July!  
    Auburn, Alabama
  • snoqualmiesmoker
    Options
    2nd for @rrp.  I had my original gasket for 6 or 7 year before it gave up the ghost.  The RRP version can go Thermonuclear!
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Options
    Mine only leaks if I use a temp probe and the dome is lifted. I have a rutland from rrp but I have yet to install it....
  • jccbone62
    jccbone62 Posts: 248
    Options
    My original gasket lasted 3 years before the bottom gasket failed. During that time I never ran over 500 degrees for my cooks. Anyway i just replaced my gasket with the Rutland gasket. Got it from Ron. It looks like a lot of work but really isn't. No need to take the top off. Read what others have done and follow Rons instructions and you will be fine.  Good luck 
    XL owner in Wichita, KS
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    I was not looking forward to my gasket replacement.  @RRP  is a great guy and will help you out any way he can.  My advice would be to buy more pumice stone than you think you will need.  Once you start using that stone, you don't want to stop until all you see is white.  It is somewhat therapeutic.

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    I have been cooking with no gasket on one of my large Eggs for about 3 years and it holds' temp just fine. I have new gasket just to lazy to install it .

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Tony_T
    Tony_T Posts: 303
    edited July 2016
    Options
    low temps won't burn out the gasket (even if you have the very-old felt gasket).  It's the high-temp cooks (and pizza's) that burn them out.

I've replaced my gasket twice (2nd burn-out was my fault, left it wide-open for pizza and didn't keep a close enough eye on the temp while it was heating up and got over 700°).  

I do it with the lid in place.  Just takes a bit of scraping and some acetone to clean the surface, then just put in the new gasket.  Last one I installed was from Smokeware 
  • outdoorsmin
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    I was not looking forward to my gasket replacement.  @RRP  is a great guy and will help you out any way he can.  My advice would be to buy more pumice stone than you think you will need.  Once you start using that stone, you don't want to stop until all you see is white.  It is somewhat therapeutic.

Agreed. Contact @RRP
  • flexfusion
    flexfusion Posts: 240
    Options
    Thanks guys for your feed back on my gasket question and concerns.  Being as I only use my BGE for low and slow cooks mine should be OK for sometime.  Can't give up my Weber for simple cooks.  
    Auburn, Alabama
  • leemschu
    leemschu Posts: 609
    Options
    I had mine for a year but just wanted to go ahead and replace it before I had any issues. Ron hooked me up!
    Dyersburg, TN
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    Another RRP gasket user. I am no where near flexible enough to scrape the gasket off of the dome without removing it 
  • RockyTopDW
    RockyTopDW Posts: 338
    Options
    I've been using my large without a gasket for several years also.  I cook to many pizzas to worry about it. No just smoke a prime rib over the weekend and it came out great.  The egg will still maintain steady temps without it.