Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flank Steak

Options
never grilled them! How long at 400? Then sear. 

Brandon, MS

Comments

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    I generally just cook it at ~500 3-5 minutes/side (depending on thickness) to mid-rare to medium. 
  • loveTheEgg
    loveTheEgg Posts: 573
    Options
    Thank u! We like MED rare so I'll do it about 8 min each side. 
    Brandon, MS
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    Thank u! We like MED rare so I'll do it about 8 min each side. 
    That may be too long... 
  • Sodak70
    Sodak70 Posts: 29
    Options
    I did one earlier today for about 5 mins a side @ 500 deg and I had medium for the thinner part and medium rare for the thicker part.
    Large and MiniMax Egg, 28" Blackstone Griddle

Franklin (South East), Va
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    The one I'm doing tonight will go on a 650 to 700 fire for merely 2 and 2.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Robo2015
    Robo2015 Posts: 267
    Options
    Is that direct or indirect guys?
    A Lonely Single Large Egg

North Shore of Massachusetts
  • Sodak70
    Sodak70 Posts: 29
    Options
    Mine was direct
    Large and MiniMax Egg, 28" Blackstone Griddle

Franklin (South East), Va
  • RRP
    Options
    Direct! 
  • loveTheEgg
    loveTheEgg Posts: 573
    Options
    Cooked perfect med well but was way to tuff for me! Hated it! 

Thanks for the replies 
    Brandon, MS
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Cooked perfect med well but was way to tuff for me! Hated it! 

Thanks for the replies 
    Flank steak tends to be tougher than some other cuts, and I'm afraid that medium-well will be tougher than medium-rare, but if you like it that done, by all means, make it the way you like it.  I really love flank steak, and there are a couple of things that might help:
    1. Slice it quite thinly, against the grain, and a bit diagonally.  The thin slicing, especially, will help.
    2. I don't always marinate, and on my most recent cook did not, and I loved it anyway, and didn't find it terribly tough.  But marinating overnight can make it a bit less tough.  I often use a home-made teriyaki-style mix of tamari, honey, fresh ginger, dry mustard, and roasted sesame oil.
    And FWIW, with a steak as thin as flank, I don't usually do a separate sear stage, but cook it a bit hotter, 500° or so, flipping frequently (like every couple of minutes), measuring the internal temp with my Thermapen till it's what I want (usually 125° or so).

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Bookmarked this one...got a flank steak in the fridge, ready to hit the marinade this evening.

Thanks folks !!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• RRP
    Options
    I was going to start a separate thread, but no need. This was my flank steak from last night egged after a 54 hour rest in a concoction of garlic, parsley flakes, garlic flavored EVOO, salt and lemon juice. This is my favorite beef meal!

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    That's a great looking steak Ron.  I've had trouble finding ones that thick around here.  Where did you find that one?
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• RRP
    edited July 2016
    Options
    That's a great looking steak Ron.  I've had trouble finding ones that thick around here.  Where did you find that one?
    Thanks! Pottstown Deli in Metro Center. That one was 1.6#. They always have nice ones to choose from. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    last one i did was sousvide 121f for 3.75 hours, then quick sear at 750 down low. pretty darn good =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    RRP said:
    I was going to start a separate thread, but no need. This was my flank steak from last night egged after a 54 hour rest in a concoction of garlic, parsley flakes, garlic flavored EVOO, salt and lemon juice. This is my favorite beef meal!

Looks Awesome Ron!
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited October 2016
    Options
    RRP said:

Ron, I was going to say that the above looked like a big pile of money. But then I thought the better of it ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    onedbguru said:
    I generally just cook it at ~500 3-5 minutes/side (depending on thickness) to mid-rare to medium. 
    Me too.  Marinate overnight in Allegro Hot & Spicy, cut across the grain, and serve on small flour tortillas with salsa verde.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys