Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lavender, had no idea it was edible....

On the weekend visited a lavender boutique with SWMBO who was looking for essential oil for relaxation and as a sleep aid. Was very surprised to see this seasoning/rub. Evidently, lavender works very well with most citrus. Tried it on pork chops and it is very good.
Lavender, you can eat it, learn something every day.....
Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Lavender is one of the ingredients of Herbes de Provence, one of my favorite chicken or pork seasoning blends. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    It wont belong before you can get a much better relaxation herb in canada...and it is also edible. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    SmokeyPitt ..I'll never forget my first experience with brownies back about 40 something years ago....

We overdid it and it was like eating a bale of straw mixed with chocolate...well, at least for a little while....then they got better !!!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Mix a tablespoon of lavender with a cup of honey, and leave it in the pantry for a couple of weeks.

Then pour that honey through a strainer in to a gallon of unsweetened lemonade.

It will make the best damn lemon summer thirst quencher you've ever had.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    I had a Lavender milkshake in Las Vegas once that was outstanding. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    @DieselkW - Curious as to how someone came up with that recipe...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    My brother in law uses lavender in his fried chicken batter.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    My wife sells DoTerra, she puts lavender in an assortment of foods.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Yep. I use it in making cured lamb. 

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    It wont belong before you can get a much better relaxation herb in canada...and it is also edible. 
    Living in BC, we have more dispensaries than we do liquor stores by a almost a 3:1 margin, for something illegal, it is sure available everywhere. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Skiddymarker
    Lavender is one of the ingredients of Herbes de Provence, one of my favorite chicken or pork seasoning blends. 

Have made my own for years, went back and read the inherited "recipe card" and sure enough lavender was optional. I have never used it. Time to update I guess. 
  • Skiddymarker

DieselkW said:
    Mix a tablespoon of lavender with a cup of honey, and leave it in the pantry for a couple of weeks.

Then pour that honey through a strainer in to a gallon of unsweetened lemonade.

It will make the best damn lemon summer thirst quencher you've ever had. 

Guess that supports the store owner claiming lavender and citrus go well together. 
  • tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    there is a huge lavender farm near san antonio and austin and they have a festival every year

http://www.beckervineyards.com/becker-lavender

im careful using it, similar to cilantro there is a ledge that you dont want to teeter over 

• jbjet45
    jbjet45 Posts: 52
    I saw @Skiddymarker used a quote there about the relaxation herb in Canada, then the next one is him with a new quote, but I was just reading and he starts out with "making his own for years"

I had to double check what kind of forum I was in!
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    From what I understand, there are many varieties of Lavender. Not all are editable. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Skiddymarker
    From what I understand, there are many varieties of Lavender. Not all are editable. 
    That's what the sales person at the Lavender Boutique said. I have a plant or two in the yard, no idea if it is the edible version or not. 
  • Skiddymarker

jbjet45 said:
    I saw @Skiddymarker used a quote there about the relaxation herb in Canada, then the next one is him with a new quote, but I was just reading and he starts out with "making his own for years"

I had to double check what kind of forum I was in!
    You are in a cooking forum, the topic is lavender, regardless of what is read between the lines.... :)
    BC bud industry is huge, some estimates as much as 50% of all Canadian growing is done in BC, with a value of between $6B-$7Billion. No wonder the BC government wants it legalized, weed accounts for as much as 15% of our provincial operations budget. One of the largest cash crops in BC.
  • Skiddymarker
    @tonyled - nice link, got me thinking, maybe some lavender on the next Texas brisket...?
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    That's what the sales person at the Lavender Boutique said. I have a plant or two in the yard, no idea if it is the edible version or not. 
    Only one way to find out. We will miss you. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Skiddymarker
    gmac said:
    Only one way to find out. We will miss you. 
    There could be another way. Maybe I'll try some on SWMBO's next chicken.....on the day I have a steak........
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    lousubcap said:

I first had it at a farm to table joint in Bloomington Indiana. I asked about it, and the owner came to our table, sat down with us, and talked about her grandmother making this for the family when they were children.

The server suggested it, and since then I've made it myself a few times every summer.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    DieselkW said:
    lousubcap said:

I first had it at a farm to table joint in Bloomington Indiana. I asked about it, and the owner came to our table, sat down with us, and talked about her grandmother making this for the family when they were children.

The server suggested it, and since then I've made it myself a few times every summer.
    Bloomington has great food. Indy is improving rapidly, but a few years ago, the quality, variety and prices in Bloomington were unmatched.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    @DieselkW -  thanks for the feedback.  Neat story.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    @tonyled - nice link, got me thinking, maybe some lavender on the next Texas brisket...?
    try it first, its an acquired taste and tends to go better with white meat IMO
  • As with many things, just because you "can" doesn't always mean you "should."
    I tried eating turkey with lavender once, and I thought it tasted like perfume (ever get perfume or cologne in your mouth by accident?).  It just isn't for me
    Northeastern PA
    LBGE
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    Tasted it a few times; I have a hard time with it.  I often see it in chocolate...