Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Aren't these the expensive kamados?

Options
https://houston.craigslist.org/for/5654956946.html
Not mine but i thought there were the komodo kamados.
Austin, Tx

Comments

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    looks like the dude rolled them down a flight of steps, but don't fret because these cookers "are far superior in every respect to the Big Green Egg, including all metal is stainless steel."
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    Options
    No, that is not a Kamado Kamodoe.  It is a knock-off, can't remember the name.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    The expensive one is Kamodo Kamado.  I think there was some other brand that looked like them but had issues with the tiles coming off.  I can't recall the brand...but by the looks of those I am guessing they are one of the others. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I found this article:
    https://delishably.com/cooking-equipment/Kamado-Grill

It was made by "Kamado Company" and it sounds like they sold the company off in 2011.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited June 2016
    Options

My inferior eggs don't look like they've been dragged behind a horse, so there's that...

Phoenix 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    i remember the kamado company, lots of fans like this guy
    http://www.geocities.ws/kamado.quality/kamadoart.htm

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    i remember the kamado company, lots of fans like this guy
    http://www.geocities.ws/kamado.quality/kamadoart.htm

That's funny...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Another lesson---you get what you pay for. VALUE--is a funny word
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • keepervodeflame
    keepervodeflame Posts: 353
    edited June 2016
    Options
    That is not a Komodo Kamoado built by Dennis Linkletter in Indonisia. It looks like and old RJ7 built by Richard Johnson. The company is no longer in existence. A new company called Kamado Rocket started a few years ago based in Las Vegas and reportedly use original molds developed by Johnson. Or at least that's what my limited memory tells me. 

http://www.kamadorocketgrillslasvegas.com/kamado-rocket-barbecue-grill/kamado-rocket-barbecue-grill-model-specifications/
  • bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    Options
    Got the answer i was looking for, and more! Great info to know either way.
    Austin, Tx
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    I know a father & son who were stung in the Richard Johnson mess. The father was at our eggfest in June bragging up his new unit over a BGE and 3 weeks later the tiles started falling off and the dome fell off and broke. When he tried to contact the company all hell broke loose and since then they trashed both units.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    Options
    bosco0633 said:
    Definitely a Richard Johnson POS Kamado.  Company was sketchy and many unsatisfied customers.

The Komodo Kamado is a very high end well built Kamado. I own two now myself. 

Wow. So nice! You did it right! That looks like a big investment in gear, but when you compare it to other hobbies, that's really just a camera body and a couple of lenses worth of stuff; and that setup will bring pleasure on a daily basis for many years.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options

=)

Kamado Tile Work

kt01jpg
    So let's get this straight. You paid over $1000 for this cooker and this is what happens?
    kt02jpg
    This is how it starts.
    kt03jpg
    Dear god! The tiles that fell off fill a bucket! (Better get a bucket!)
    kt04jpg
    The Kamado company's suggestion for how to get warrantee service when your tiles fall off: FIX IT YOURSELF!
    kt05jpg
    Be very careful when trying to get that top damper unstuck. If you don't break the dome, you'll probably lose a few tiles!
    kt06jpg
    Doesn't this make you puke? How much did you pay for that cooker?
    kt07jpg
    Tile's don't discriminate. The fall off the dome, they fall off the top damper.
    kt08jpg
    And they fall off in great numbers, too!
    kt09jpg
    Are those hanging chads? Heck no! Those are hanging tiles. Don't worry, they'll come off in a second...
    kt10jpg
    There are so many photos of tile damage out there, it gets a bit boring, don't you think?
    kt11jpg
    The tiles fall off in small areas....
    kt12jpg
    ....and the tiles fall off in large areas. Which will you get?
    kt13jpg
    That might have been a pretty looking cooker once upon a time.
    kt14jpg
    Tiles fall off blue cookers....
    kt15jpg
    ....tiles fall off multi-colored cookers....
    kt16jpg
    ....tiles fall off green cookers. Tiles don't discriminate on the basis of color!
    kt17jpg
    How can something this bad not be covered by a lifetime guarantee?
    kt18jpg
    Why do you have to fix it yourself?
    kt19jpg
    Why do you have to beg and kiss ass to get them to send you a few lousy replacement tiles?
    kt20jpg
    Why do the freaking tiles fall off in the first place?
    kt21jpg
    More tiles, more tiles, more tiles!!!
    kt22jpg
    See how they separate from the cooker in huge patches? Didn't they use any adhesive at all??
    kt24jpg
    This poor owner probably didn't even notice he was missing a few tiles?
    <\/iframe></div>

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • bgeaddikt
    Options
    Wow. Makes the posters comment hilarious.
    Austin, Tx
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    How much do the tiles affect the function?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    SkySaw said:
    bosco0633 said:
    Definitely a Richard Johnson POS Kamado.  Company was sketchy and many unsatisfied customers.

Wow. So nice! You did it right! That looks like a big investment in gear, but when you compare it to other hobbies, that's really just a camera body and a couple of lenses worth of stuff; and that setup will bring pleasure on a daily basis for many years.
    That's probably in the $15k range.
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    bosco0633 said:

They're like works of art. I'd be afraid to cook on them and get them dirty.  :)
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • bgeaddikt
    Options
    This 1 is my favorite, maybe a bigger dial though? haha

Austin, Tx
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
    RTIC coolers will look like these in a couple of years  =)
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    bosco0633 said:

Will you adopt me? 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,528
    Options
    am I missing something here....are you buying a decorative flower pot for 6 grand or a smoker/grill?

If your into the decorative flower pot thing, then I guess "go ahead", I myself would rather more cooking room. One can buy a Stumps Stretch XL for 6,100 and its just as pretty. See cooking capacity on a 6,100 dollar Sretch XL...

Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Darby beat me to it
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    billt01 said:
    am I missing something here....are you buying a decorative flower pot for 6 grand or a smoker/grill?

If your into the decorative flower pot thing, then I guess "go ahead", I myself would rather more cooking room. One can buy a Stumps Stretch XL for 6,100 and its just as pretty. See cooking capacity on a 6,100 dollar Sretch XL...

That's like saying a Ferrari is the same as a Corvette. Way different cars. Do they get you to the same destination? Sure, but ones going to get you a little better fit and quality than the other. 
    For the record, I am ok with either the Corvette or the Ferrari. I will gladly PM you my delivery address.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    billt01 said:

That's like saying a Ferrari is the same as a Corvette. Way different cars. Do they get you to the same destination? Sure, but ones going to get you a little better fit and quality than the other. 
    For the record, I am ok with either the Corvette or the Ferrari. I will gladly PM you my delivery address.
    I'd love a Corvette. I just saw they're testing a mid-engine Vette on a private track a few days ago. It was under wraps so you couldn't see much but I'm glad to see they're heading in that direction. I'd take a Ferrari in a manual transmission. I'm not sure you can even get them in manual anymore. Sad. I might have to take a used Ferrari! =)
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • billt01
    Options
    billt01 said:

crazy idea... what if we each got to spend our own cash on the stuff we enjoy, without asking internet strangers what they think first??

i guarantee i overpay for stuff anyone can find for ten cents at a yard sale.  and other people probably throw piles of money at stuff i wouldn't give a nickel for.

kinda what keeps us from all being the same boring guy.

indeed...

to each his own....
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• billt01
    edited June 2016
    Options
    billt01 said:
    billt01 said:

crazy idea... what if we each got to spend our own cash on the stuff we enjoy, without asking internet strangers what they think first??

i guarantee i overpay for stuff anyone can find for ten cents at a yard sale.  and other people probably throw piles of money at stuff i wouldn't give a nickel for.

kinda what keeps us from all being the same boring guy.

indeed...

to each his own....
    $106,500,000.00 for the below....

Have:
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga