Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whole? Baked potatoes

Options
eggliscious
eggliscious Posts: 1
edited August 2011 in Baking

I am looking for some ideas for my baked potatoes.  I was wondering if anyone bakes them whole?  Do I cover with foil?  pierce skin with fork? or just rub with oil and salt?  Another thing, how long?  Looking for some anwers all you egg heads! 

Thanks for you help,

eggliscious

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    i will be making baked potatoes tonight i will just wash them and put them in a 350 egg for about an hour then squeeze them if the are still hard i will keep squeezing every 15 min.. i will bake them indirect. if you want the oil and salt and pepper by all means use that whatever your family likes.. i made chili yesterday since it has been so long since i made any. so now i have to come up with creative ways to use it all :-D so tonight it is chili topped baked potatoes...

hope yours come out well

happy eggin
    tb

Anderson S.C.

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Ricky B
    Ricky B Posts: 28
    Options
    This works for me. We like the skins crispy so we don't wrap them.. Just puncture with a knife, coat with evoo, course sea salt and put on the egg direct. Cook at about 400-425 dome about an hour will do but we let ours go for 2 hours, turning them onece every 30-40 min or so. If you don't want the skins real crispy, wrap in foil but still cook for 1-1/2 to 2 hours. They are great and easy.
    Rick
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    Agree with above. Pierce skin with a fork a couple of time ( someone a while back posted an exploded tater in his egg when he didn't prick the skin).
    Rub with oil or butta, coarse salt and cook indirect.

I have taken 'done' by squeezing, then checked with my Thermapen - 200 degrees internal seems to work.
  • Ricky B
    Ricky B Posts: 28
    Options
    If I'm grilling the spuds indirect, then ,IMHO, don't wrap them in foil. They will do just fine. Grillin direct will give a good crisp skin that crunches when you eat it, grillin indirect will, at least fo me, give a good crispy skin too but not like direct cooking. Anyway, spuds are pretty tolerant and you should find the way you like them best. Good eatin!
    RickyB B-)
  • FL XL Egger
    Options
    I like them cut in half lengthwise, coated with EVO and course salt, score the cut side a few places and add a pat of butter. Cook flat side up, works direct or indirect.
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    Try a sweet potato washed and whole, indirect at 400 till internal temp is 220. The sugars have caramelized and it will taste like it has brown sugar and marshmallows in it.  
    Kent Madison MS
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    edited October 2011
    Options
    I agree with the above methods too. For a change, and for this it doesn't matter what you're cooking on, slice washed potatos crosswise about an inch thick, place slices of onion between each slice, season with salt, pepper and garlic, drizzle with oil or butter and wrap in foil. They will cook a bit faster than dry baked.
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • bostonjosh
    bostonjosh Posts: 67
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Similar as above: evoo + salt, around 400... only thing i'd add is that i find yukon gold to be a bit faster to cook, and sweeter to the taste, than idaho.
  • Mark0525
    Mark0525 Posts: 1,235
    Options
    I'm doing ribs this week and was thinking of putting whole potatoes in the egg while they are cooking.  Will they cook in 5 hrs at 225?
  • kkg
    kkg Posts: 2
    Options
    I tried the same thing last weekend while doing a brisket and the potatoes were not even close to being done. Thank goodness for the microwave!
  • kkg
    kkg Posts: 2
    Options
    I tried the same thing last weekend while doing a brisket and the potatoes were not even close to being done. Thank goodness for the microwave!
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options
    I like to start them in the smoker and if need be, finish in the microwave ...
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • wardchess
    wardchess Posts: 2
    Options
    I jab unpeeled potatoes many times with a paring knife, coat with evoo, salt, and pepper. Then I cut in half and lay the inner potato on a slice of onion and wrap each half in foil. Turn after 20 min, and after 40 minutes of direct 350, on the outer edge of grate (while cooking chicken breast), onion and potato have great flavor and crispiness.
  • tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 423
    Options
    I like to cook them in the microwave and then make stuffed baked potatoes by putting them on the egg for about 20-30 minutes.
    One large BGE in Louisville, KY.
  • Buckeye79
    Buckeye79 Posts: 46
    Options
    Cook similar to the noted versions above. I've used EVO and Garlic Salt to season them the last couple of times. The Garlic salt makes a great flavorful skin.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Cook to 205-210, not to time.
    NOLA
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options

Zombie thread!

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .