Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rub storage...

Options
Mixed up another batch last night. Have been keeping it in a ziplock bag in the freezer...this is how the fellow that I got the "recipe" from suggests. How do you fine folks store home brewed rubs? 
When I go to use it is transfer a shot glass or two into an empty plastic spice container....

Comments

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    I used to use Mason jars, but then I realized reusing commercial spice containers worked the best especialy since then I wouldn't have to scoop out the rub I could just sprinkler it on. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,593
    Options
    I buy in bulk from Meat Church and decant into Rubber maid containers and store in the freezer..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    I buy in 2 lb bags.  I fill normal spice jars and refill as needed.  I food saver seal the large bag back up.  Both stored in a cabinet.  No idea if fridge or freezer preserves it better, have always kept at room temp.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Nature Boy, one of the Dizzy Pig crew has recommended freezing, or low oxygen bags in a cool dark space.

I've had a few products that came in mylar bags, and the spices stayed good, tightly sealed in the dark for many years. I forgot about some of them, and when opened more than 5 years later, they were still quite pungent.

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    I keep basic spices (bought in bulk)  vacuum sealed and in the garage freezer.  After mixing up a batch of rub, the rub goes in reused plastic spice containers and kept in the kitchen freezer ready for use.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.