Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Saint-Jean-Baptiste

paqman
paqman Posts: 4,669
edited June 2016 in EggHead Forum
Today is our national holiday here in the province of Québec.  I took the day off (I work across the river in Ottawa) and I am taking it easy.  I kinda forgot that grocery stores are closed today so I had to dig up in the freezer where I found a nice piece of pork belly.  It is cooking on the mini-max while I smoke a cigar in the pool drinking rum.  Oh yes, I forgot, I made a batch of naan bread dough.  The plan is to slice the belly and eat it on the naan bread.  Hopefully, it turns out good!  Life is hard.

Comments

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,569
    That sounds great.. Nice way to spend the day !!!
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Looks like you're having a Great day!!  Enjoy.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,505
    Looking good, do you get July 1 off work too?  ;)
    That's a nice designer can of butane fuel, btw!
    canuckland
  • paqman
    @Canugghead I work in Ontario so I don't get both.  I took one of my vacation days.  Peoples who work in Québec are getting both but they don't get the civic holiday.

Designer butane fuel?  I guess that Iwatani is supposed to be one of the best brand of torch and stove but I am somewhat disappointed with their torch.  The one I am using is a Sterno brand and it works better.  I keep the Iwatani as a backup.  I use the Sterno to start the egg and as a cigar lighter.

Thanks for explaining the holiday situation there, learned something new after all these years  :)  I use my butane torch to start the sparks, then enlarge the fire with hairdryer or looftlighter.  My no-name torch doesn't ignite although I can see tiny spark, I have to aim the nozzle straight down about 1/4 inch from a non combustible surface to trap the gas for ignition!  Got to love the "<insert this end" instruction on the can!
    canuckland
  • paqman
    Thanks for explaining the holiday situation there, learned something new after all these years  :)  I use my butane torch to start the sparks, then enlarge the fire with hairdryer or looftlighter.  My no-name torch doesn't ignite although I can see tiny spark, I have to aim the nozzle straight down about 1/4 inch from a non combustible surface to trap the gas for ignition!  Got to love the "<insert this end" instruction on the can!
    @Canugghead The Sterno was something like 20$.  I highly recommend it if you can get your hands on one.

The dough for the naans is ready

The belly is coming along nicely.  I basted it with a mixture of hoisin sauce and rice vinegar.  It smells really good and it has a nice sticky texture.

Voilà, everything cooked on the mini-max

Living the good life! Looks delicious. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    I was fine at just pool and rum. The belly on naan bread deserves a full heal clicking salute. Well done
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Looks great paqman. Like you, I was also off today. I opted to do chores around the house (accompanied with the occasional beverage to quench my thirst), but took a short break at lunch to fire up a pizza on the Egg (no pictures). I then took a dip in the pool. Wish I had had something exciting to slow cook during my work!
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,505
    Gorgeous! After trying naan indirect, in tandoor, etc. I've pretty much settled on KISS naan cooked direct like yours.  Doing it indirect with multiple stones burn too much lump; my tandoor is too small to cook naan evenly and comfortably (needs more practice).
    canuckland
  • @paqman: Any chance you could please share your naan recipe?
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,829
    I'd definitely hit that. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Mithrandir
    Mithrandir Posts: 36
    Belle saint jean en perspective ! Good job !
    Roberval, Qc, Canada
  • paqman
    Gorgeous! After trying naan indirect, in tandoor, etc. I've pretty much settled on KISS naan cooked direct like yours.  Doing it indirect with multiple stones burn too much lump; my tandoor is too small to cook naan evenly and comfortably (needs more practice).
    @Canugghead I also tested various ways to do it (platesetter, pizza stone, CI griddle, etc).  Directly on the grill is the best so far and it also happens to be the fastest.

@Mithrandir Oui, c'était un très belle journée!  Est-ce que vous avez fêté fort au Lac Saint-Jean?

Nice cook. I didn't know they had pools up there. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • paqman
    @GrateEggspectations I tested a few recipes recently.  Yesterday, I tried the recipe posted by @JMCXL last week.  The recipe comes from the book "THE FOOD LAB, BY J. KENJI LOPEZ-ALT, Better Home Cooking Through Science." which I also happen to have but did not start reading yet.  You can find the original thread here: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1196319/naan-style-flatbread

Last week, I tried a different recipe that I slightly modified.  You can find the thread here:  http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1196242/naan-bread

I preferred the texture of the food lab recipe but the taste of the recipe in my thread.  I'll probably do the food lab recipe again but adding ghee or clarified butter to the dough.  Both recipes are really good.

Looks like you can check nanwich off your bucket list, great cook!!!
    Chicago, Illinois
  • Mithrandir
    Mithrandir Posts: 36
    paqman said:
    @Mithrandir Oui, c'était un très belle journée!  Est-ce que vous avez fêté fort au Lac Saint-Jean?
    Travaille tout le week end malheureusement ! Donc assez tranquille ! Beers And sausages on the egg for us !
    Roberval, Qc, Canada
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    paqman ...Bookmarked this one.   You're quickly becoming my hero with these cooks you've been doing !!!!

Awesome !

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !!