Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Nitto Terra Grappler G2 or BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A K02

Options
OK, I am needing new tires for my 2011 Ford F150 4x4 Supercrew and have it down to the Nitto Terra Grappler G2 or BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A K02 or BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A K02.  

The BFG's are at $1067 are rated a little higher, but not sure what there tread life is.

The Nitto Terra Grappler G2 or BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A K02 are $980.26 and comes with a mail-in rebate for a $70 Visa card.  They are rated just below the BFG's and tread wear is around 50,000 for my truck.  I have gotten 68,000 so far on factory tires by rotating every 5000 miles so I think I can get more.

What are your thoughts.

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.

Comments

• McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
    BFG All-Terrain will last forever anywere.  Take a look at General Tires too

Hermosa Beach CA 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,346
    Options
    I've had good luck with BFG's
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    If you drive any gravel those bf goodriches hold onto rocks and peck the hell outta the side of your truck. 

Little Rock, AR

• RiverRatSkier
    Options
    I have been through four sets of the BFG All Terrains (mix of T/A and T/A KO).  Have not put the KO2's on yet, as I just stuck with stock on the new truck this time (still kicking myself).  The four sets that I went through either got right around 65-70k, or was on track for that before trading in.  All on extended cab silverados. 

Very happy with the BFG's, and see no need to ever buy anything else. Great wet, dry, snow, dirt, , etc. traction.  Stiff sidewalls for confident cornering (I typically pass sportier sedans on multi-lane freeway ramps).  Pretty decent life on the tires, considering they are "off road" tires, and I use them hard. 

They do eat up shocks though due to being a stiff tire.  Never bad enough that I had to replace them (probably should have, but did not) after around 110k on the vehicle (longest I have owned a truck for).
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    Options
    To further confuse you - I chose Cooper A/Tw for my truck over the BFG.  The price was better, I was able to get an LT (Light Truck rated) tire in the same size which was an extra 2/32" deeper tread pattern and I have been extremely happy with the ride on highway and the traction in snow. 

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• dbennett561
    Options
    i recently got the KO2's about 1000 miles. I really like them. I went from standard Bridgestone HT's to these and can't tell a difference in the ride at all . I did go up in size and noticed my fuel mileage suffered about 15 % on the highway. Love the aggressive look

Tampa, FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I have BFG's AT (I believe KO2) E rated & I'm pleased with their on & off-road performance.  They also don't beat you to death on long road trips which I find equally important.   They've been great tires and wear nicely.
    That said the Nitto's seem to be popular along with OG Mickey Thompson's. Don't discount Toyo & Cooper. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    BFG fan here too. I hear that the biggest complaint about them is that they tend to dry rot after several years. So (as I was told by a tire guy) they came out with the ko2 and gave it a little less tread depth so that they wouldn't last long enough to dry rot! I had to order the ko original last time. Love them though, I believe these are my 4th set (different trucks).
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    I mostly buy BFGs for my trucks.  I have the KAO2s on our Excursion right now.  I love them.  They are great.  I have had the Nitto Terra Graplers on a 4runner.  In fact, a coworker of mine went in on the same day to get tires.  We both picked the Nittos, Discount tire gave us $50 off per set since they were selling 8 of them.  I sold the 4runner before i even could comment on treadwear, but he just sold his truck this year with the Nittos on and they had to be going on 6-7 years.  If i had to guess, I think he is a 10k a year driver.  He had them on a GMC 1/2 ton crew cab.  

I used to have a Chevy duramax with 20s on it.  Those BFGs AT KOs ran $400 per tire.  $1600 out the door.  That hurt but they looked good. 

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    I have about 3000 miles on my C load KO2's and happy with them. For AT tires BFG has served me well over the years. Quiet and smooth on the road and good off road performance. Mine sees mostly deep sand these days. Also should you need a replacement away from home they're widely available most places. They are the most popular AT tire for several reasons. No experience with Nittos. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • MattBTI
    MattBTI Posts: 417
    Options
    I ran nitto's for a while once. only got about 35k out of them. hancook dynapro's have been good to me
    Pratt, KS
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Thanks for the quick response everyone.  The K02's are improved a lot from what I have read and hears from tire dealers.  they got rid of the big lug on the side to quite the ride some.
    By the way I was told that Toyo makes the Nitto's just like Michelin makes the BFG's.  I have had a set of Cooper tires on my 2004 Avalanche, but had problems with them all and luckily they were under warranty and were replaced for free.  So I am staying away from them.

I had BFG's on my 1992 Jeep Cherokee when I had a 4" left for about 4 years and liked them.  I have also had the Nitto's on my Avalanche and they were great too, that's why this choice it s hard.  I like both tires.

Jeremiah said:
    BFG fan here too. I hear that the biggest complaint about them is that they tend to dry rot after several years. So (as I was told by a tire guy) they came out with the ko2 and gave it a little less tread depth so that they wouldn't last long enough to dry rot! I had to order the ko original last time. Love them though, I believe these are my 4th set (different trucks).
    @Jeremiah, this does help, because these are the same rims I have and I like the black wall look instead of the raised white letters.  

I think I am leaning toward the BFG's now.  Thanks 

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Dobie
    Options
    I don't think the KO2 got rid of the lugged sidewall, that tire @Jeremiah has looks like the old KO that the KO2 replaced. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    When I need new tires I just buy a new truck.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @Jeremiah  has KO

See KO on left KO2 on right.  IMO KO2 looks better.  I did love the KO. . . it is a legend.

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    That would be nice, but my truck will be paid off in about 7 months and it looks almost new.  

Kansas City, Mo.
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    the BFG are great, but a little over rated in my opinion. I have the Nitto on one truck and they have lasted a great deal, I went with cooper ATP this time and the wear is also great, they work really well in the snow too, which is often a trade off with a high wear tire. You can't go wrong with either od the 2 you mentioned or the cooper. Did you check discount tire? sometimes depending on the size the cooper or nitto can come in extremely cheap
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i recently got the KO2's about 1000 miles. I really like them. I went from standard Bridgestone HT's to these and can't tell a difference in the ride at all . I did go up in size and noticed my fuel mileage suffered about 15 % on the highway. Love the aggressive look
    i take the same 107 mile trip every week twice, upsized the tires and its just under a hundred now =) make sure to check with gps too, im going almost 10 percent faster than my speedometer says ;) i dont speed, yet im passing most everybody. on highway speeds my miles per gallon went up factering those things in, but off road im sure it went down
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Dobie
    Options
    Funny how the road shrinks with bigger tires  =)
    Jacksonville FL
  • fishlessman
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    that new car smell will kill you =) my daily just turned 27 and the work truck i just replaced turned 46. i think my method is when i cant find parts for it :o
    fukahwee maine

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I have the BFG's on my FJ Cruiser and am about to replace them after 110,000 miles.  I'd say thats pretty good tread life!!   B)

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    I have the BFG's on my FJ Cruiser and am about to replace them after 110,000 miles.  I'd say thats pretty good tread life!!   B)
    WOW!  I thought I was doing well almost getting 70,000 on factory tires.  poster said:
    the BFG are great, but a little over rated in my opinion. I have the Nitto on one truck and they have lasted a great deal, I went with cooper ATP this time and the wear is also great, they work really well in the snow too, which is often a trade off with a high wear tire. You can't go wrong with either od the 2 you mentioned or the cooper. Did you check discount tire? sometimes depending on the size the cooper or nitto can come in extremely cheap.

Discount Tire is where I am thinking of going they have the best price on them where I live.  I am going for the 10 ply, but Nitto also makes a 4 play that is around $160 a tire, but I rather have the 10 ply which is $200 a tire.  My wallet is telling me to go with the Nitto's. 

I am starting to think I can't go wrong with either one.  The wife's SUV is going to be needing tires soon as well, so a little savings may be in the works.

Thanks again everyone.  OT's like these are very informative and helpful.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    I have one other question.  Do you think the warranty most of the tire stores are offing now worth the money?  I never had a flat on my BFG's or the Nitto's when I had them and don't see that it is wort it.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Dobie
    Options
    Shop around, Discount will match prices and great service. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    I have one other question.  Do you think the warranty most of the tire stores are offing now worth the money?  I never had a flat on my BFG's or the Nitto's when I had them and don't see that it is wort it.
    I don't think so.
    But the free rotations offered from places like Sam's and Farm and Fleet, where I got mine, is.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• fishlessman
    Options
    in 27 years ive had one tire side wall blow out on me with my truck, it was a bfg but i doubt it was all the tires fault =) you hardly see anyone with flat tires anymore, the spare tire rim was rusted thru the one time i needed it
    fukahwee maine

• NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I get nails on the very bottom of the side wall on every set of tires I've owned. They can't repair that so I think it is worth it. I have bought the last 3 sets of tires at Costco and the warranty is included as well as free lifetime rotation and balancing. No one here will match their price.
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • Dobie
    Options
    I don't buy extra warranties, the better vendors have some level of road hazard protection included at no extra cost usually. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • Dobie
    Options
    What size do you need?
    Jacksonville FL
  • Ladeback69
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Dobie said:
    What size do you need?
    265/70/17.  I think I am going with Nitto's for $980 with a $70 prepaid Visa card.  Discount tire has the best deal on them after I checked.

Kansas City, Mo.