Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flame Boss vs. BBQ Guru

I have had a DigiQ for quite a few years and really like it but I saw this article the other day. What has been everyone's experience with Flame Boss?

www.firecraft.com/bbq-guru-vs-flame-boss

Weber Performer
Large BGE
Stump's Prince
BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2

Comments

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    I own a Guru and a Flameboss 200.  The Guru hasn't been used since I bought the Flameboss a year ago. 

The last part of the article states this:  "Flame Boss will likely be the future standard."  I rather think that they got that almost right ... it is the standard already.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Had both....gave the Guru away. Meat probe was a bit inconsistent.  After the absolute nightmare I had dealing with BBQ Guru and their miserable customer service I decided to get rid of it. 
  • Robo2015
    Robo2015 Posts: 267
    I haven't tried the Guru, but I've got the FB200 and have zero complaints
    A Lonely Single Large Egg

North Shore of Massachusetts
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I have a Guru. I used to use it fairly often, but only for lo n slo cooks. Don't do those much any more. If I had it to do again, I wouldn't.

Looks to me like the FB 200 does the same thing as the Guru except it has wifi... and costs another $100+. I have no need or desire for wifi so I sure wouldn't pay 100 bucks for it. Guru is set and forget, which is why I bought it. When it dies, I will cook turbo. Or get a Tip Top Temp for $30. Hmm, I may just do that anyway. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• ncbted
    ncbted Posts: 2
    Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like the Flame Boss is the real deal. What is it folks like better about it? Is it easier to use? Any experience with Firecraft?
    Weber Performer
    Large BGE
    Stump's Prince
    BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2
  • HTTRQ
    HTTRQ Posts: 19
    I have the Flame Boss. I second the comment that it is already the standard. Its the easiest thing in the world to use and its always dead on.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I used my FB200 with a guru fan for my last overnight cook and it's a winning combo. 

Guru 25 cfm fan  has a damper plus the FB runs it at variable speed, so it can effectively run blowing lower cfm. I need that bigger fan for another cooler, and o already had the LBGE adapter. 

FB setup is a piece of cake. And their customer service is A+. Most folks will not say that about the Guru operation.  

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    I have a CyberQ and I love it. Simple, easy, set it and forget it. I can't comment on the FB
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    caliking said:
    I used my FB200 with a guru fan for my last overnight cook and it's a winning combo. 

Guru 25 cfm fan  has a damper plus the FB runs it at variable speed, so it can effectively run blowing lower cfm. I need that bigger fan for another cooler, and o already had the LBGE adapter. 

FB setup is a piece of cake. And their customer service is A+. Most folks will not say that about the Guru operation.  
    @caliking - What cooker do you need the 25cfm fan for?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    @DMW - cabinet smoker that should be ready in about a month. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    As many of you know, I'm shopping too. I have not made a decision on which way to go yet....

I'd like to have the capability to control both XLs at once and WIFI, an alternate power source (rechargable battery would also be a great feature. 

I'm sure through you folks, I'll end up with the ideal system.

Thanks for starting the thread and thanks for all that have contributed.

Donnie

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• AZHigh
    AZHigh Posts: 11
    I just bought a FlameBoss 500 for my wife's birthday next week.  I do all the egging.  She told me to buy her something I wanted and give it to her.  I think she was kidding, but, be careful what you wish for.....
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    You should buy her some beer and a vacuum cleaner go along with the FB.lol
    Good luck.
    But I really do like my FB 500. It's solid and easy to use.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,545
    Did someone say vacuum cleaner and birthday
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Smobot for the win.  The phrase "less is more" comes to mind.  If I wasn't the "backup" kinda guy I would give you my BBQ Guru which I now consider a piece of junk.  
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,741
    I think the better comparison is Flame Boss vs. Smobot, which is the only one I have experience with and it works wonderfully --  as I'm sure the Flame Boss does, too.
    Stillwater, MN
  • 4TheGrillOfIt
    4TheGrillOfIt Posts: 741
    edited June 2021
    dldawes1 said:
    As many of you know, I'm shopping too. I have not made a decision on which way to go yet....

I'd like to have the capability to control both XLs at once and WIFI, an alternate power source (rechargable battery would also be a great feature. 

Donnie
    I believe you can do all of this with the FB.  I have the Egg Genius version and with the app it appears you can add multiple controllers.  I regularly use the optional battery pack which has easily lasted through 15 hour cooks.  
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    dldawes1 said:

Donnie
    I don't believe the FB or BBQ Guru have the ability to control more than 1 cooker. But both will monitor multiple pit temps.
    The older, discontinued, Stoker would control multiple pits and temps probes.
    At least if they were side by side, you could totally control 1 XL and just monitor temp on 2nd XL from 1 control box.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 900
    I've been a (mostly) happy FlameBoss 200 user for about five years, and it has generally done a good job for me.
    But I recently got a Smobot and I have to say, after two cooks with it, that I like it better. Their algorithm to learn how my LBGE works just seems to be far superior to the FB algorithm, with much less overshoot in the beginning (hardly any after the first cook), and better overall constant temperature control.

So even though the FB has served me well (and for all I know the newer models are even better) I've converted to Smobot.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    OhioEgger said:
    I've been a (mostly) happy FlameBoss 200 user for about five years, and it has generally done a good job for me.
    But I recently got a Smobot and I have to say, after two cooks with it, that I like it better. Their algorithm to learn how my LBGE works just seems to be far superior to the FB algorithm, with much less overshoot in the beginning (hardly any after the first cook), and better overall constant temperature control.

So even though the FB has served me well (and for all I know the newer models are even better) I've converted to Smobot.
    My exact experience except with a BBQ Guru.  The Smobot leaves me with more time to spend doing other things than trying to figure out what the Guru is going to do.  The bot is so predictable.  I even cut a small piece of wood of a given length and now that is my bottom vent adjustment for anything between 225 to 350 deg when I use the bot.  Cheers!
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • The Smobot leaves me with more time to spend doing other things than trying to figure out what the Guru is going to do.  The bot is so predictable.  I even cut a small piece of wood of a given length and now that is my bottom vent adjustment for anything between 225 to 350 deg when I use the bot.  Cheers!
    It looks like the Smobot only adjusts the top vent, whereas the Flame Boss blows into the bottom vent.  Am I reading my reviews correctly, lol?

We've found when cooking we primarily adjust the bottom vent.  So with the Smobot, does the bottom vent just stay open a certain amount?
  • 6baluts
    6baluts Posts: 270
    - Yes the bottom vent stay's open about an inch or a tad more. The Smobot is my favorite controller. Flat line cooks pretty much, mizer on battery power if you chose to use one vice 110.
    - Do not want you to think I am a Smobot homer. I have a DigiQ DX2, Flameboss 200, Fireboard V1 and a Fireboard Dr. I like them all it is just the Smobot lets your kamado cook without a fan like its intended to. Heck
    back in the 70's I cooked on the Kikuya without a daisy wheel only using an offset raincap in its place.
    - Are the cooking graphs on the Smobot as good as the others?  "No" but they are good enough. Service is fantastic.
    I like my Flameboss 200 also BUT for some reason it does not like my Primo XL. Had a couple of run away fires. NEVER had an issue with my 2 LBGE's or my MBGE and for that matter nor my Kikuya Hibatchi Pot.
    - I have seen/read some talk that in the future Fireboard may try to fill the control of 2 cooker's at once niche. Not sure if it will ever come to fruition or if it will be a combo of "drive model" and add a cable like the older drive cable models.
  • Never had an issue with my Flameboss 300 on my XL egg, or my gravity fed cabinet.  Sold them both, and gave FB300 to my buddy who uses it on his Weber kettle.  Bulletproof controller!
  • Never had an issue with my Flameboss 300 on my XL egg, or my gravity fed cabinet.  Sold them both, and gave FB300 to my buddy who uses it on his Weber kettle.  Bulletproof controller!

Hate to read about people falling on hard times and being forced to sell their belongings.  Don't give up and remember crisis hotlines are available.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    Just received a NIB FlameBoss 500 today & extra pit probe.  It was a little tricky to get the wifi set up on iPhone but finally got it all setup. Now to try it out soon.
    Shout out to stlcharcoal for making me a deal I couldn't refuse!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap