Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I Need Rib Assistance Please !!!

Options
Mark
Mark Posts: 295
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am having a tought time with my ribs. I get a great flavor but I can't seem to get them tender off the bone, I am trying to cook them with out boiling or steaming them first but by "the all natural way". I am cooking them at 225 to 250 for 4 to 5.5 hours, no problem holding temp and like I said they have a wonderful flavor. I have tried baby backs and loin ribs, the loin ribs have a membrane in the middle of the meat between the ribs that is tought. I would sure like any help I can get. Thanks Mark

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Mark,
    I think you are not cooking them long enough. A lot of the baby backs I get lately are really thick and can take up to seven hours to get tender. I did some st. lois style spares the other day that took eight hours to get tender. I cook my ribs indirect with a plate setter at 250 dome temp. When a toothpick can be inserted between the bones with no resistance they are done. HTH -RP

• uncbbq
    uncbbq Posts: 165
    Options
    Mark,
    It makes a big difference to strip the membrane from the inside surface IMHO. I've cooked them both ways, and with the membrane on they were simply not as "fall off the bone" tender. Tasted great, though.

• Unknown
    Options
    Mark,[p]Definitely remove the membrane from back side of ribs.[p]My best results (which I learned on this forum) is a variation of the 3/1/1 method. Basically, indirect at 250 dome for 3 hours; WRAP in FOIL (and put a little Apple Juice in it) and go indirect for 1 hour [this tenderizes it]; remove indirect set-up and cook direct for 1 hour (turn every 20 minutes and sauce last 20 or 30 minutes if desired).[p]I keep dome temp at 250 (no more than 275) throughout cook.[p]Another similar method is the 3/1/1.5 (or as I call it, the 3/1/45min/45min) can be found on Wess B's site: http://bbq.yyyz.net/default.asp[p]

[ul][li]3/1/1.5 Method of Cooking Ribs on BGE[/ul]
  • Newbs
    Newbs Posts: 188
    Options
    Legally Blind Egghead,[p]The link you posted is actually G.F. Weiss's site.
    Wess B's site is www.wessb.com[p]Cheers,[p]John

• Unknown
    Options
    Legally Blind Egghead,[p]Sorry the link didn't take you to the exact spot.[p]Just click the link and go to RECIPES on left column. Then click on RIBS and then choose 3/1/1.5 RIBS.

[ul][li]3/1/1.5 RIBS[/ul]
  • Unknown
    Options
    Newbs,[p]OOPS! Sorry, I was in a hurry and glanced at Weiss's not Wess 's site. [p]They are all great methods though.

• Newbs
    Newbs Posts: 188
    Options
    Legally Blind Egghead,[p]Couldn't agree more. I've used both of those sites on several occasions.[p]Cheers,[p]John
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    08_04_0018_21_02.jpg
    <p />Mark, check out te link - unfortunately I don't have my egg anymore - a good friend is using it for awhile - but if you follow directions, you may just like the results. Look at the top right for "The Method".

[ul][li]Ribs[/ul]
  • Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Options
    MyBge.jpg
    <p />Gfw,
    Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey What up man?!
    Have you been gone so long that it takes someone else to post your trademark pic?
    Good to see you!
    ST

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Mark,
    BB not foiled take about 6 hours on the big meat side. Foiled for an hour would speed them up.