Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How Much Heat Can Granite Take?

Options
I just got a new egg table with a granite top. I was wondering how much heat the granite can handle.  For example, can I put a hot platesetter/woo/AR/etc. on the granite without damaging it?

The granite I have is SenSa Floresta Verde (apparently discontinued). Their website says it can handle temps above 300 C (572 F), and many times the items will be hotter than that.

Perhaps I can make a landing zone with something that can handle more heat?

Open to any suggestions. Thanks!
Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
Twitter: @ Bags
Blog: TheJetsFan.com

Comments

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I have a 1.5" granite slab on my challenger cart. I put it on there all the time. Now the grease drippings do leave marks.
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    edited June 2016
    Options
    The granite will take the heat, but would you really want to mark up a nice granite top with your plate setter? 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

@HofstraJet   I used a piece of granite as a pizza stone for years.  It can take the heat.  However, if I had your table, I'd have a sacrificial piece on top on some rubber feet as my "dirty counter".

Phoenix 
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I looked at the website. Seems itts not the granite that is at hazard from the heat, it is the stain resist treatment. Maybe buy some ceramic blanket or fiber board as a hot pad. Folded up welding blanket seems like it might work.
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    Options
    I think that the risk is too great. An unseen void or vein that causes expansion differently and pop you have a ruined piece of granite.  A huge cost to replace.  It might be okay over 99% of the slab but that one spot you can't even see could cause irreparable damage. 

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    I use a granite landscape paver for a landing pad (pictured just to the right of my grill gripper). It's about 2 1/2" thick and about 6x6" square. It's plenty thick to take some heat and lets enough air get to the plate setter or other indirect piece to let it cool pretty quickly. I also use it to prop up tongs or spatulas to stay clean when I'm tending the cook. It also keeps the table a little cleaner and can be easily washed up when it's as dirty as shown.

L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Not all granite is the same. It will have quarts and Mica and all kinds of minerals mixed into it. Something 350-400 might be fine. Hotter and I'd rather have something on it like a hot pad or cooling rack to keep it out of direct contact.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    Do you have any left over floor tiles gathering dust somewhere?

I bought a metal trivet at Ikea, 15 years ago, it has taken everything I've put on it, including my PS at 600º dome. I think it was $5.
    LMPLIG Trivet IKEA Plastic feet prevent scratching and make the steel non heat-conducting

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    Options
    Not sure how nobody mentioned burning off the sealant on the granite? I would be more worried about that than the granite itself.
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    ..... Their website says it can handle temps above 300 C (572 F), and many times the items will be hotter than that....
    I am curious, what are you doing that you will have items hotter than 572º on the table top?  I can see pizza and naan bread cooking at high temps, but don't see a need to deconstruct the stone setup during those cooks.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Get a piece of extra granite or even a big ceramic tile from Home Depot just in case. I agree with what @Toxarch said. And get this for the sealant. You can get it at Amazon.

http://www.beeswaxpolish.com/

Best stuff hands down. It's good for everything. Granite and all types of stone, stainless steel, wood, glass, tile, just don't put it on your floors...slicker than owl sh*t. I've been using this on my outdoor kitchen (and everything indoors) for years. Still not one stain on my outdoor granite. Even after grease spills etc. No, I'm not paid by them and I don't work there...
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    $19 shipped from Amazon for the Bee's Wax polish. Shipping is too high.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

Use a trivet.

Options
    ..... Their website says it can handle temps above 300 C (572 F), and many times the items will be hotter than that....
    I am curious, what are you doing that you will have items hotter than 572º on the table top?  I can see pizza and naan bread cooking at high temps, but don't see a need to deconstruct the stone setup during those cooks.  
    Yeah - that's a good point. I was thinking of hot platesetters, but I would be putting a PS there before searing, so the PS would be at around 300 or so as it would come from the indirect phase.

I think out of an abundance of caution I will get a spare piece of granite or big thick tile just so I don't run the risk of ruining the tabletop. Thanks everyone.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    If you're going to get a floor tile, you might be interested in adding some rubber feet ... provides additional heat protection and scratch protection.  I had an 18" tile for about a year, then switched to a 24" tile in February.  Contrary to concerns, neither of them cracked from heat or weight.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1192423/challenger-cart-protection/p1

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max