Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Seasoning / Rubs

Options
I am looking to try some new seasonings / rubs and was wandering if anyone had any recommendations.  I am looking for anything that is good on beef, pork, or chicken. 

Comments

• Muddyrover
    Options
    Meat Church - honey hog, holy cow, deez mutts
    Killer Hogs

that's what I'm going through now. Would recommend all
    War Eagle
    XL Egg / AR Rig / Woo
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    +1 ^^^

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    John Henry - from east Texas has some interesting rubs as does the forum favourite Dizzy Pig. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • bigbadben
    bigbadben Posts: 397
    Options
     I like meat church on faster cooks. I find the flavor dulls too much on anything over 1-1.5 hrs. 

i have had some great oakridge rubs on butts and ribs.

also had good luck with KJ rubs. 
  • eggnewtoy
    eggnewtoy Posts: 496
    Options
    Willing to make your own?  Let me know and will send some blends.  
    BGE Large and MiniMax, Napolean 500.  Obsessed with rotisserie.  

• kaikheremshi
    Options
    Always up for making my own.
  • SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Options
    My new favorite on steaks and burgers is Carne Crosta from Oakridge.  Family loves it too.
    XL BGE
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Dizzy Pig and Lanes BBQ are both great
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    I swear by Mickey's coffee rub for poultry and rack of pork. For pork butts, I haven't found anything better than Bad Byron's Butt Rub. I try not to go crazy with new rubs when I already have a good supply on hand, but I have enjoyed the varieties of Dizzy Pig rubs I've tried thus far.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Jameson19
    Jameson19 Posts: 354
    Options
    I usually make my own rubs, but was completely out last cook. Wife volunteered me to cook two pork shoulders for her office pot luck and I was pressed for time. I stopped by Sam's Club to get pork shoulders and for I think around $5, I picked up this rub from Weber. I was very surprised at how well the flavor was in the finished product, so much so, that I kept my mouth shut about the seasoning until numerous positive comments came my way. 

I'd definitely buy this again and recommend it for pork. It's savory enough to compliment beef IMO. I'm gonna give it a shot on the next brisket. 
    Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, Small BGE, 2 BBQ Guru's, 18" WSM, Rockwood, Stage 3 Roush Mustang and a hot wife... 

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • Bshults1
    Bshults1 Posts: 145
    Options
    I have, and love all of the meat church rubs.  If you're looking for something a little more unique, Dizzy Pig has some really nice ones with distinctive flavor profiles.  I've found the John Henry's to be pretty good but the sugar content is rather high in many of them.  I second the bad byrons.  It's great for your low and slows.  I've seen multiple people on here vouch for oakridge and that will probably be my next purchase
  • eggnewtoy
    eggnewtoy Posts: 496
    Options
     @kaikheremshi, here are a few of my faves.  2 from the site.  I have a thing about food products sitting in plastic, especially spices.  Have used smokesniffer on both salmon and ribs and love the citrus notes.  enjoy these! 

BGE Large and MiniMax, Napolean 500.  Obsessed with rotisserie.  

• smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    Options
    Here is what I like a lot.
    Beef - meat church holy cow with cash cow from big poppa smokers. 
    Pork - grand champion from Texas BBQ rubs.
    Oakridge has some really good rubs also. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    @Jameson19 at $5 for 15 oz I am gonna have to give that one a try.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    Many good Oakridge, need to try a few
  • BrookieP
    BrookieP Posts: 135
    Options
    Dizzy Pig, Meat Church, Lanes BBQ

Chicken Breasts: Dizzy Pig Fajitaish, Dizzy Pig Mediterraneanish, anything by Lanes BBQ

Chicken Wings: PlowBoys Yardbird, Dizzy Pig Shakin' The Tree, Dizzy Pig Ghost

Pork Chops: Meat Church Honey Hog, Meat Church Deez Nuts, Lanes BBQ Sweet Heat, Lanes BBQ Signature

Pork Butt: Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust

Steak: Meat Church Holy Cow

XL BGE & 36" Blackstone
    Instagram: BGEBrooke
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Look back thru the posts, threads like this are pretty common. Many, many good rubs and sauces out there.

For myself, I've been happy w. Dizzy Pig, John Henry's. some of Penzys. Both DP and Penzy's seem really fresh. Best sauce for PP, IMO is Blues Hog Tennessee Red.

Its taken me some years to start making a decent rub of my own. Rub basics are very simple. Sugar, salt, usually a lot of paprika and black pepper, onion and garlic powder, some cayenne. You'll find those in most prepared rubs. Paprika and black pepper tend to loose flavor during storage and longer cooks. If you come up w. a base blend, and have some whole spices ready for pounding, grinding, etc. you can get some remarkable flavors. Just a few fresh tellicherry peppers,  allspice berries, or a cardamon, some cinnamon or a scrape of nutmeg can really build on the base.