Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Heady Topper

Options
steel_egg
steel_egg Posts: 295
I am sitting here with my first one. A friend sent one via ups the other day and deceided this was the day. Too bad you can't this outside of the town it's brewed in. Very tasty!

Comments

• dgordon2nc
    dgordon2nc Posts: 100
    Options
    A guy I work with goes up there every year and brings back a ton. Was lucky enough he gave me 6 cans of it. Really awesome beer!
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I'm jealous.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • steel_egg
    Options
    That's how my friend got one. He has a guy that gets about 2 cases a year from another that travels up there frequently. I'm being tasked to bring out other beers when I head out to Philly this summer. Most of what they are asking for can be bought at the grocery store here. 

• Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    Yeah it's good  =)
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,649
    Options
    Maybe we need to have a beer exchange

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• dgordon2nc
    Options
    There are some great ones here in nc!  But I have to say the current stone go to ipa is tough to beat
  • steel_egg
    Options
    I have to give the go to a chance. I'm usually on a frenzied hunt for the enjoy by. Those beers are just amazing. 
  • dgordon2nc
    Options
    I loaded up!  I bought a case of it from random places this weekend 
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    Love Heady, lucky enough to have had it several times.
  • NERVOUS
    NERVOUS Posts: 104
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I managed to get some of this stuff all the way over here in SoCal!
    Jeremiah  |  La Canada Flintridge, CA  |  XL BGE
    "Life is about experiences...  And one of my absolute favorite experiences is FOOD!"
  • trip150
    trip150 Posts: 55
    Options
    Heady is delicious!  This is one of my favorites.  

image.jpeg 1023.5K
  • steel_egg
    Options
    Pliny is another that's nearly impossible to track down. 
  • TN2TX
    TN2TX Posts: 298
    Options
    Heady is awesome. Favorite beer by far. 
    Dallas, TX
  • jdsmithii
    jdsmithii Posts: 50
    Options
    A couple years ago, when you could get it from the brewery.
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    You guys are KILLING ME!!!  Piney the Elder and Heady Topper in the same POST... (at least there's no Piney the Younger!)...

I guess I'll just sit here and suffer with my 12% Homebrew Imperial Stout!!...  Gonna have to take a trip to Burlington and head back down through Muster, IN to pick up a little "special" stuff...

If someone is willing to do some beer trading... I'm in the Nashville, TN area but close to Oskar Blues and the Atlanta breweries!!

Rick

Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• steel_egg
    Options
    You guys are KILLING ME!!!  Piney the Elder and Heady Topper in the same POST... (at least there's no Piney the Younger!)...

I guess I'll just sit here and suffer with my 12% Homebrew Imperial Stout!!...  Gonna have to take a trip to Burlington and head back down through Muster, IN to pick up a little "special" stuff...

If someone is willing to do some beer trading... I'm in the Nashville, TN area but close to Oskar Blues and the Atlanta breweries!!

Rick

Probably the best thing I could offer that's local to Pittsburgh is Fat Heads Headhunter ipa. Up there with the best of them. Unfortunately, the original bar in town for in to brewing and opened a brewery outside of Cleveland. The beer is too good to hold it against them. 
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    I neeeeeeeeeeeed Pliny.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    OK, I'm going to be a contrary voice here.  Heady is really good, but it's not that much better than Stone, or MBC Mo, or Dogfish Head.

90% of people's obsession on it is the lack of availability.  Same with Pappy Van Winkle.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• steel_egg
    Options
    Acn said:
    OK, I'm going to be a contrary voice here.  Heady is really good, but it's not that much better than Stone, or MBC Mo, or Dogfish Head.

90% of people's obsession on it is the lack of availability.  Same with Pappy Van Winkle.
    I agree to a certain extent. That's how it used to be with Nugget Nectar. I think the quality has gone down with increased production. I thought heady was pretty good  and I would drink regularly if it was available but there are plenty that I can drink that are pretty close. 
  • trip150
    trip150 Posts: 55
    Options

Rick

Munster!  Amazing little place.  

• jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    DMW said:
    I'm jealous.
    Me too
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    I actually prefer Focal Banger to Heady.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• TFols
    TFols Posts: 241
    Options
    I didn't find Heady to be that mind blowing, decent but not what it's hyped to be. My neighbor gets a shipment a few times a year of Pliney from a friend in CA, last time he also got some Blind Pig, I thought that was very drinkable. 
    Bloomfield, NJ
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    edited June 2016
    Options
    IMO Heady Fresh is tough to beat ... Focal Banger, Double Sunshine, Surley Abrasive,Pliny,Trillium's double hopped offerings, Abner, Second Fiddle ( I haven't had Mastermind or any Treehouse) I'll even throw in JA Excess all right there with it ... Now if you get an old one I can see how some Stone or MBC can compare... Dogfish, which I enjoy is too malty to compare to these Hop Bombs.
  • HondaHawk
    HondaHawk Posts: 98
    Options
    I've had Heady. It's been a couple of years...good stuff. Wouldn't down play it a bit.

Lately I've been fortunate to have Todd The Axeman from Surley. That stuff is incrediable. Highly recommended to any beer brahs. 
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:
    Maybe we need to have a beer exchange
    YES!
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    edited June 2016
    Options
    If you're a west coaster check out Tavour.com they send 2 daily emails and you can order or not order beer depending on if you like the beer mentioned. 

If you're interested give me a pm, we both get $10 bucks if you order.
  • chadpsualum
    chadpsualum Posts: 409
    Options
    Heady Topper is fantastic.  One of my top 5's.

I have yet to try Pliny the Elder...and would also love to get my hands on the Younger as well.
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE