Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT new puppy training

leemschu
leemschu Posts: 609
Went to pick out a new pup today, yellow lab. Any body train there own dog? I'm good with sit and lay down. I have been working one staying with my father in laws dogs. Any body know any good sources for basic obedience training? Figured I'd work on retrieving later.
Dyersburg, TN

Comments

• SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    I will check at the office Monday.  My training books are there.  Have a Golden that I have trained (still training). Waterfowl dog but the books have basic obedience in them to.  An E-collar is your friend because you can instantly correct.  
    XL BGE
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    If you've never had labs before, be prepared for torn up stuff and a high energy dog. Great breed. 

I I had a male that lived 14 yrs. never grew up. My current female is pretty chill in comparison 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Her favorite pastime behind eating. 

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    Consistency in words and actions and one voice at a time.
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    You'll need to physically make the dog do what you're telling it.

If you want it to stay, put it in a sitting postion and stand on its leash (not so tight that it hurts the dog or yanks its neck).  Use a consistent word to release the dog from the stay.  We use "free".  When it's time to "free" take the leash and walk away from the stay spot with the dog.  the key is to not let the dog move from its spot.  If it gets up (and at first, it will) you don't re-sit the dog until you return to the original spot.  It needs to associate stay with dont move. at first the attention span will be short. Use short stay times and gradually build with heavy praise for good work.

side note:  do the opposite of this for "come". When commanded, reel the dog toward you with the leash and praise it, eventually it will associate come with praise and start doing it on its own
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • StillSmoken
    StillSmoken Posts: 327
    Google Mike Lardy or Evan Graham. Good looking pup!! I've got a yellow and black.   Best dogs ever. 
    Kennesaw Ga. XL Egg. Cheers, Kevin
  • StillSmoken
    StillSmoken Posts: 327
    Also check out the book Water Dog.  
    Kennesaw Ga. XL Egg. Cheers, Kevin
  • leemschu
    leemschu Posts: 609
    Thanks guys. I'm hoping she will be a good one. We plan on crate training it and maybe keeping it in a kennel outside during the day so maybe that will save some of the furniture.
    Dyersburg, TN
  • SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Evan Graham is what I have.  Very good.  I'm learning as much from her as she is from me but it is a really fun experience. Her first goose retreive.  Not the best grip on it but she has gotten better on them.
    XL BGE
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,024
    My wife and I picked up a rescue lab mix a few weeks ago. He's going on 5 months. We have him in a crate at night and when not home. He's actually been really good with chewing so far. Just make sure you have lots of dog toys for him to chew on. As they get bored easily with only a couple. Also make sure he has a chance to be around other dogs and small children. My wife also has been keeping her hand in his dog dish when he eats and touching him so he doesn't get any food aggression. It's been a fun ride so far!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • CheeseheadinAZ
    CheeseheadinAZ Posts: 315
    edited June 2016
    Couple things...  #1 you have to become the pack leader.  Make them work for everything...For kennel training put some small treats in there every time he goes in there.  Then when he's out pop some small treats in there. You want him to think treats grow in there...he'll learn to love that place.  Also start with small amount of time in the kennel and gradually increase.  When time to come out open the door but don't let him out until you say.   Never put in there for discipline.  Also find a dog language you like...  'Break!' With a small treat Right when they did you what you asked.  "Gooood" for doing something you like.  Eh eh eh for doing something you don't like or trying to let them know they are off course...and NO!!  When they failed.  Once you and the dog have created a language together you can teach them anything.. And try not to over use the word No or it looses effectiveness.  Start with Eh eh eh to give them a chance to recover.  Also create a word for going to the bathroom that you are comfortable with....eventually you will be able to have them go on command.... We use...  get busy!
    You own the food, after you put it down only give them a limited time to eat then pick it up....this is one of the strongest ways to show them you are in control and you are the pack leader.  They depend on you...always make sure they have a clean bowl of water.  Have fun...daily 2x walks will help keep your furniture in good tact.  If they chew something up you have to take responsibility for it.   They were just bored.  And after shots get them in front of as many people and dogs as possible.  Can become one of the best relationships you'll ever have...but it's all up to you to make it that way.  Enjoy!  
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,331
    Positive reinforcement is the best option. The main thing is to be consistent. Work in 15 minute sessions as it's hard to hold a pups attention for much longer. Like the above post, a kennel should be a comfortable place, never used for discipline. Good luck! 

Oh, and I trained this monster myself. She would lay there hours despite the temptation because stay means stay

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    All good advice so far.  You can't spend too much time on one thing, maybe 5-10 min then give them a break before another trying again.  Agree heavily on the pack leader comment.  Also, if you don't want them doing something, don't ever let them do it (jumping on the couch or bed).  Once you get the basics, a laser pointer can be a great tool.  My pups learned to run to the tv and sit when I said "Redskins are on tv".  I yell "pass!" they look up.  "Fumble" they look down.  All done with the laser pointer!!!
    Apollo Beach, FL
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Also check out the book Water Dog.  
    Water dog is a standard- great book
    Greensboro, NC
  • DIAD
    DIAD Posts: 187
    We just got a Portuguese Water Dog 2 weeks ago.  She is 11 weeks now.  It's like an infant!  Hope she sleeps through the night soon
    Chester, MD
  • Very cute.  Ten minutes ago my dog was sniffing around my egg eating all the small pieces of lump that fell on the deck (I did some cleaning today pre-brisket cook).  Per the interwebs this is ok for them.  Who knew?
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,569
    Very cute.  Ten minutes ago my dog was sniffing around my egg eating all the small pieces of lump that fell on the deck (I did some cleaning today pre-brisket cook).  Per the interwebs this is ok for them.  Who knew?
    Only if the lump is Rockwood !!!
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,166
    Cute pup. A good tip for help crate train him/her is to section off the crate (reduce floor space) so that he/she can't go pee in the corner and lie down somewhere else in the crate. Dogs won't pee and sleep in the same spot. 
  • BBQBuddy
    BBQBuddy Posts: 275
    Beautiful pup!  Congrats.  Can't give any training advice other than don't let it on furniture and don't feed from the table!  Mine are spoiled rotten!

2 Large BGE, MiniMax, Miami, FL