Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

LBGE Table With Concrete Top

Options
Hey guys/girls, this is my first post. I'm new to the Big Green Egg. Just bought the large and a bunch of accessories. I decided to build my own table tho. I wasn't a fan of the wood top and my local granite shop wanted $450 for a slab so I decided to do my own concrete top. I'm planning on finishing the base tomorrow. And starting to pour the concrete top on Monday. I have already build my form with melamine. Going to be an inch and a half thick. My question is, how can I get a nice circle form. I've seen people use styrofoam, but I couldn't find anything local. Any help would be appreciated. I started the frame late yesterday evening. I'm building it all out of western cedar. 

Comments

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Welcome. 

to get the circle, you can cut the circle with a router and circle cutter out of plywood.  Or you could use a string and pencil to draw it and cut it out of wood with a jig saw.
    Phoenix 
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options

Look for a pre-cut wooden piece and coat it in wax paper.

Cheaper would be to get a piece of foam and use the pencil / compass method to draw out the size of the circle you want.  cut it a little proud and sand it smooth.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Take a piece of pink/blue insulation board they use for foundations. Laminate up a piece 2-3!layers then cut out your circle. Remember to give yourself some wiggle room an extra inch  maybe
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • CSmith
    CSmith Posts: 44
    Options
    Thanks guys for the tips! So basically, get a sheet of insulating foam board and cut it. I'm making my hole roughly, 22". So maybe make the hole like 21-1/2" and then give myself a half inch to sand? Does that sound right? Lol. Do I need to use anything around the part I cut to make sure it's smooth when I poor my concrete? Maybe packaging tape?
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options
    Many moons ago a friend made a concrete top and for the circle he just cut a 2 or 3 inch wide strip of galvanized sheet. Marked off the length of the circumference and just joined the ends with a couple of pop rivets. It formed a nice even circle.

He did fill the interior of the metal form with wet sand so that it wouldn't deform when he poured in the concrete mix.

Worked well for him and was a cheap quick way to make a circular form.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• CSmith
    Options
    Have another question. I'm going to be putting the egg in the table, on top of a BGE table nest and a paver of some sort. What should be the distance from the bottom of the egg to the top of the table? My top will be 1.5" thick and my table legs are 31.5" tall. 
  • CSmith
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Have another question. I'm going to be putting the egg in the table, on top of a BGE table nest and a paver of some sort. What should be the distance from the bottom of the egg to the top of the table? My slab will be 1.5" thick. My table legs are 31.5"
  • CSmith
    Options
    A little update. Been working a lot so haven't had any time to work on the table. Today I had a couple hours to work on it. Got the one side framed in with corrugated tin. Built (no picture and not attached) double door, and got the concrete top mold formed. Seen a neat idea with garden edging to make the cut out for the egg. Went with fiberglass and it worked good. Got the day off so will finish the table base and shelves and attach doors and pour the concrete! My egg will be here Friday so need to hurry it up!
  • HoustonEgger
    HoustonEgger Posts: 616
    Options
    Nice work so far - almost exactly what I've got planned for mine so I'll be watching to see how yours turns out!
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    I like it that is sharp
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • CSmith
    Options

Here's one of the doors. Next picture will be with the egg in it! The top turned out decent. I'm sure I'll do another down the road. Just to wait for the egg to show up!
  • CSmith
    Options
    Concrete top is not perfect by any means. This was my first time working with any concrete at all. It will serve its purpose tho! I still need to take some Portland and fill in the air bubbles throughout the top. And then seal it. Now to throw the last door on and reinstall the shelves under the egg. 
  • StillSmoken
    StillSmoken Posts: 327
    Options
    Awesome! Looks good from here. Nice build!  
    Kennesaw Ga. XL Egg. Cheers, Kevin