Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Who has a simple large BGE table plan for me?

Options
I am not that handy with wood but my brother in law is. He said if I get the wood we can build the table then I can stain in. I would like one that is not huge as my deck is small. Can you guys share with me a plan for a large table? 

Jay 

Comments

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    Season the NW plan to 'taste' and build away.     If using 'stock' size lumber you'll need to go over it pretty good.    
    I don't have a table saw, for example, so I can't rip to width.  
    Here is a screen shot of what I drew FROM the NW plan after giving it a good think-thru.

BOTTOM VIEW OF THE LOWER SHELF.    GRANITE IS 18" x 24"  @30mm thick
    Corners have cutouts for 2x4 legs.   Might actually end up with 4x4 since I'm building for an XL

• Abter
    Abter Posts: 125
    Options
    I did way too much poking around about BGE table plans.  I wanted a straightforward table that was simple to build.  I settled on the oft-recommended plans by Scott Moore.  I made a few tweaks, but followed his plans pretty closely.
    http://www.scottmoore.net/projects/egg/

One thing I liked about it is the legs are doubled 2x4s below the lower shelf.  That is easier than one common plan with 4x4 legs with a notch cut out for a 2x4 cross member.

This past weekend a friend of mine with both woodworking skills and a shop helped me make the top.  He used a big compass to draw both the hole and the rounded ends, and then cut them freehand with a hand held jig saw...came out perfect.  The curved ends of the table top are purely cosmetic...a rectangular table top would work just fine. The rest I will do at home this weekend with a radial arm saw...nothing but a bunch of straight cuts.

A great thing about the Scott Moore plans is they have a sketchup file.  With the free SketchUp  program, you can rotate and zoom on a model as much as you want to better understand what it is.  Here are 2 screenshots from the sketchup file.

Stay Calm and Egg On
    1 lonely medium in Rockville, MD
  • Abter
    Abter Posts: 125
    Options
    One comment on Moore's plan:  I didn't like how the short part of the table top near the hole is supported.  He has all the short boards of the top sit on the 2" edge of a single 2x4.  I added one more cross member support on the outside of the leg, giving those short boards two different supports.  With glue and screws I am pretty sure this will hold even if my good friend Big Jim leans on that end after a few too many cold ones.  I decided not to stain, but will use several coats of the oil based indoor/outdoor Helmsman spar varnish.  If I stained first I would still use 2 coats of Helmsman.  That stuff is a tough as an outdoor varnish gets.
    Stay Calm and Egg On
    1 lonely medium in Rockville, MD
  • BigBlackV
    BigBlackV Posts: 59
    Options
    Abter said:
    I did way too much poking around about BGE table plans.  I wanted a straightforward table that was simple to build.  I settled on the oft-recommended plans by Scott Moore.  I made a few tweaks, but followed his plans pretty closely.
    http://www.scottmoore.net/projects/egg/

One thing I liked about it is the legs are doubled 2x4s below the lower shelf.  That is easier than one common plan with 4x4 legs with a notch cut out for a 2x4 cross member.

This past weekend a friend of mine with both woodworking skills and a shop helped me make the top.  He used a big compass to draw both the hole and the rounded ends, and then cut them freehand with a hand held jig saw...came out perfect.  The curved ends of the table top are purely cosmetic...a rectangular table top would work just fine. The rest I will do at home this weekend with a radial arm saw...nothing but a bunch of straight cuts.

A great thing about the Scott Moore plans is they have a sketchup file.  With the free SketchUp  program, you can rotate and zoom on a model as much as you want to better understand what it is.  Here are 2 screenshots from the sketchup file.

That looks pretty awesome, I will print out both plans and show them to my brother in law as he is more familiar with woodwork. He said the first set of plans I sent him did not appear that difficult and this one actually seems easier IMO.