Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's it called?

Options
I've seen quite a few people calling it a placesetter, and from some who have a fairly high post count. Do you really not know it's called a plate setter? Maybe just type CNVG or PS.

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    If you want to get technical BGE changed it to ConvEGGtor 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • clifkincaid
    clifkincaid Posts: 572
    Options
    Also why I said CNVG =)
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    It has always been the plate setter. For some odd reason I believe they wanted to patent the name, and plate setter was either taken or not allowed. This is fuzzy memory--pre breakfast. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Another is Thermopen. A good amount will spell it Thermopen instead of Thermapen. No biggie. We all understand what they mean. I surprised anyone can comprehend anything I write
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • clifkincaid
    clifkincaid Posts: 572
    Options
    Thermopop, Thermapen...now why would they do that :o
  • DRoberts908
    Options
    :o
    Carrollton, Kentucky
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    But if you bought it before the name change, it's still a plate setter, right?  They can't retroactively change the name of something you already own.  Can they?  B)
    NOLA
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Jstroke said:
    It has always been the plate setter. For some odd reason I believe they wanted to patent the name, and plate setter was either taken or not allowed. This is fuzzy memory--pre breakfast. 
    A plate setter is a standard piece of kiln furniture. Some are shaped much like the BGE's, but w. holes in the center to aid firing plates. I suppose BGE trying to copy write the name would be sort of like copy writing the word "brick."
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    DRoberts908...I thought you were shaking a bee out of your ear in your post !!!!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Plate setter is a generic term from the world of pottery. The folks at BGE created that new word so they could trademark it.  They will always be plate setters, just with an additional trademarked moniker.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Is and will always be a plate setter or just PS - as @buzd504 says they can't retroactively change the name, just think how many name plates Nissan would be shipping to all those old Datsun owners.....
    The one that I was slapped around for years ago by my Pit Boss Dad was calling a grid a grate. A grate is the thing the fuel sits on, a grid is the thing the food sits on - in other words Man Grates are useful for holding charcoal not marking food....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Tony_T
    Tony_T Posts: 303
    Options
    On an unrelated "what's it called" question, why is the daisy wheel called a "DMFT".  No amount of googling gets me what DMFT in an acronym for.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    The CI PS is significantly heavier than the ceramic. Can be tougher to work with taking in/out during a reverse sear or other cooks where you take in/out. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Tony_T said:
    On an unrelated "what's it called" question, why is the daisy wheel called a "DMFT".  No amount of googling gets me what DMFT in an acronym for.
    It is actually DFMT for Dual Function Metal Top.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • REMtx
    REMtx Posts: 63
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Tony_T said:
    It's DFMT. Dual function metal top.
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    DMW said:
    Tony_T said:
    Complete, my life now is.
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • Tony_T
    Tony_T Posts: 303
    Options
    Re: DFMT 
    Thanks!
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    I've seen quite a few people calling it a placesetter, and from some who have a fairly high post count. Do you really not know it's called a plate setter? Maybe just type CNVG or PS.
    Not sure if this post is the result of too much early drinking or not enough early drinking.  :s
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Not sure if this post is the result of too much early drinking or not enough early drinking.  :s
    Agreed.... I will refrain from commenting until I have had a few... Hopefully that will bring everything into focus !!!
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    DMW said:
    Tony_T said:
    From what I was told by the lady that handles the warranty claimso at the Distributor a new "daisy wheel" will be released soon. Don't remember exactly which of the functions will be eliminated but one of them will be...
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Are they going back to the SFMT for the daisy wheel?  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    Options
    DFMT and plate setter are so we can have our very own cool acronyms. We're like the Masons.... Meat Masons... To be one, ask one !   
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Hmm, I always thought it was "Da Metal F*ckin Top".  

My platesetter is called "Tim".  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    In my house, Plate Setter refers to my 6 yo Grand Daughter when she helps get the table ready for dinner.  She is also the knife. fork and spoon setter.
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,087
    Options
    High post counts don't mean a thing ;)
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited June 2016
    Options
    dougcrann said:
    DMW said:
    Tony_T said:
    From what I was told by the lady that handles the warranty claimso at the Distributor a new "daisy wheel" will be released soon. Don't remember exactly which of the functions will be eliminated but one of them will be...
    About friggin time.  Maybe they'll work on the hinge and bands next.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."