Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Emergency - 1250 degrees

Options
So I was in the midst of heating up the egg and my work-line rang.  I took the call and totally forgot about the egg.  It heated up to 1250 degrees.  While there doesn't appear to be any structural damage (cracks, etc.), the inside started flaking a bit...almost like the goodness that's been accumulating for the past several months got ultra-hot and cooked off.  At least that's what I'm hoping. 

Any thoughts from fellow eggheads on if I totally jacked up the integrity of my egg would be greatly appreciated.  To be quite honest, I expect it to be fine given the quality but thought I'd get some other feedback.  And before the replies come funneling in that I'm an idiot...I'm already aware. 

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    You're fine, egg on.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    I've wrapped the thermometer more than once. PM RRP for a new gasket and move on. All is good. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Sounds like your first clean burn!
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    No worries. Takes a while to cool off, that's all.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Tony_T
    Tony_T Posts: 303
    edited June 2016
    Options
    As Hotch said, all you did was a "clean-burn" 
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Just an FYI, that a little too hot. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Did it do this? =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    Options
    That picture looks like an afterburner or jet engine expelling heat
    Austin, Tx
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    I thought it was always supposed to look like that. No wonder I can cook a butt in 45 minutes
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    I spun my thermo recently as well. No biggie. 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Igbo had a nickel for every time I got drunk and wrapped the thermo, I'd have like a quarter. If I had a nickel for every time I got drunk...
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I would open it a couple times as it cools so you don't melt it shut
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Your fine I get my two larges that hot every fall before I tuck them away for the winter, you might want to calibrate your thermo. That stuff flaking off the inside is not goodness and adds nothing to any food you cook.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    Did it do this? =)

That's fishless'. You keep postin it without givin him props. 

He's an old man. At least give him sumthin

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    How long was it at that temp?

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Were you able to get a pizza on when it got that hot? 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Carolina Q
    Options

He's an old man. At least give him sum thin
    You are right. I meant no harm. My apologies, Mike. @fishlessman

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    I'm kidding fer eff sake. 
    I mean, yeah it's mike's, but I'm just given you grief

people take me way more serious here than in real life
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Yeah, but you're still right. I guess I just figured that by now, most folks knew it was his. Cool pic though, eh? :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    that was his neopolitan pizza rig i think.  frigging after burner, pans of sand, etc.

great pic.  i have only had red flame shoot that high

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Could you do marshmallows over that and make S'mores?
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • clifkincaid
    clifkincaid Posts: 572
    Options
    Just wait for the blue hue then the egg is ready! That's the great smoke, just lean over and give it a smell.

Carolina Q said:
    Did it do this? =)

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Now that's taking Turbo to the Eggstream.
    New Albany, Ohio 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options

im not one that needs props ;) its just a simple pizza cook =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options

im not one that needs props ;) its just a simple pizza cook =)
    i know that and he@fishlessman

i was just givin him grief for posting the pic something like five times  that week.  i swear he had it in ctrl-V locked and loaded
    trying to get all your sweet sweet BGE forum karma!

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    clean burn baby!   
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I'm kidding fer eff sake. 
    I mean, yeah it's mike's, but I'm just given you grief

people take me way more serious here than in real life
    Not really.  ;)
    NOLA
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Darby_Crenshaw said:i was just givin him grief for posting the pic something like five times  that week.  i swear he had it in ctrl-V locked and loaded
    trying to get all your sweet sweet BGE forum karma!

Spare me...

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    again.

joking.