Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

OT- Cost of quality charcoal, can anything else be used in an Egg?

Wondering if people have experimented with other materials to cook on their Eggs? For example, coal pellet, etc. I ask because better charcoal seems to be harder to find lately, while pricing for better charcoal seems to keep rising. Leaving the likes of RO and other inferior brands as a fall back. I loved Kamado Joe and Wicked Good charcoal, but I can no longer purchase it locally. I know I can order on line, but I have a storage issues and would prefer to not have to purchase 100+lbs to get decent charcoal. Any ideas would be appreciated.......again no RO debates, thanks.


«13

Comments

  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 27,037
    for me its just about statrtup times, cowboy and royal oak need longer startup times to burn cleanly. i just use whats available to me at the time =) ive even cooked over briquettes when thats all i had available, they just dont do low and slows like lump does, fine for grilling though
    fukahwee maine

    you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 10,457
    edited June 2016


    Note I haven't tried them myself.  One thing I couldn't help but notice is when he dumps in the lit briquettes from the chimney there is a ton of ash already. 


    Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

  • GregWGregW Posts: 2,397
    I loaded up on the Kingsford briquette that Home Depot had on sale. I use it for things that are not a critical on the egg such as burgers and hot dogs. I bought the 10 limit that was 20 bags. That will keep me good for the summer. I can use the good lump for important cooks.

    Birmingham, AL
  • Meeeshigan22Meeeshigan22 Posts: 300
    Many of you may think I'm nuts but the last 6-7 bags of Royal Oak I've gone through have been very good. Prior to this bunch I had used 7 bags of Rockwood, and a couple bags of cowboy out of desperation, and I am not seeing much of a difference between RW and RO. Perhaps the RO burns faster but I that's just a gut feeling. The Cowboy is crap but works in a pinch.

    Start up with the RO has been very fast with little smoke, good size chunks in most bags(not all), burns nicely, and the food has been good. 

    Just my .02


    Highland, MI

    L BGE, Primo, and a KJ Jr
  • Photo EggPhoto Egg Posts: 10,666
    edited June 2016
    When asking questions such as yours, it's very helpful to know where you are located. You might get better answers from other members in your area.
    Ace Hardware sells the Kamado Joe lump in the red bag. So far it's been some of the best I have ever used. It's $25 for a 22 pound bag. Can be ordered online and shipped to your store for pickup. Use code "JUNE2516" for 25% off one item under $50.
    I still miss Ozark Oak but have no problem using Royal Oak at $8 for a 17 1/2 pound bag and stock up when it's on sale. I just give it an extra 5-10 minutes to burn clean.
    Thank you,
    Darian

    Galveston Texas
  • JstrokeJstroke Posts: 2,296
    I can fit 10 bags under the bed. Its a matter of finding room in unlikely places. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • HeavyGHeavyG Posts: 7,691
    Photo Egg said:
    When asking questions such as yours, it's very helpful to know where you are located. You might get better answers from other members in your area.
    Ace Hardware sells the Kamado Joe lump in the red bag. So far it's been some of the best I have ever used. It's $25 for a 22 pound bag. Can be ordered online and shipped to your store for pickup. Use code "JUNE2516" for 25% off one item under $50.
    I still miss Ozark Oak but have no problem using Royal Oak at $8 for a 17 1/2 pound bag and stock up when it's on sale. I just give it an extra 5-10 minutes to burn clean.
    Anybody wanting to buy Kamado Joe lump should keep an eye out for a Costco Kamado Joe Roadshow in your area. Two bags for $30. Super fine deal!

    http://www.costco.com/kamado-joe-schedule.html
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Dik
    "...For while we have our eyes on the future
    history has its eyes on us..." Amanda Gorman

    Camped out in the (757/948/804)




  • Photo EggPhoto Egg Posts: 10,666
    HeavyG said:
    Photo Egg said:
    When asking questions such as yours, it's very helpful to know where you are located. You might get better answers from other members in your area.
    Ace Hardware sells the Kamado Joe lump in the red bag. So far it's been some of the best I have ever used. It's $25 for a 22 pound bag. Can be ordered online and shipped to your store for pickup. Use code "JUNE2516" for 25% off one item under $50.
    I still miss Ozark Oak but have no problem using Royal Oak at $8 for a 17 1/2 pound bag and stock up when it's on sale. I just give it an extra 5-10 minutes to burn clean.
    Anybody wanting to buy Kamado Joe lump should keep an eye out for a Costco Kamado Joe Roadshow in your area. Two bags for $30. Super fine deal!

    http://www.costco.com/kamado-joe-schedule.html
    Have to watch what you buy. The Green Bag KJ is not as good. Seen it at a few road shows.
    Thank you,
    Darian

    Galveston Texas
  • NonaScottNonaScott Posts: 446
    That video is interesting. I may start using kingsford for my grilling in the egg. Call me wacko but I prefer the flavor of chicken, burgers, and steak on kingsford over lump.
    Narcoossee, FL

    LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • HeavyGHeavyG Posts: 7,691
    Photo Egg said:
    HeavyG said:
    Photo Egg said:
    When asking questions such as yours, it's very helpful to know where you are located. You might get better answers from other members in your area.
    Ace Hardware sells the Kamado Joe lump in the red bag. So far it's been some of the best I have ever used. It's $25 for a 22 pound bag. Can be ordered online and shipped to your store for pickup. Use code "JUNE2516" for 25% off one item under $50.
    I still miss Ozark Oak but have no problem using Royal Oak at $8 for a 17 1/2 pound bag and stock up when it's on sale. I just give it an extra 5-10 minutes to burn clean.
    Anybody wanting to buy Kamado Joe lump should keep an eye out for a Costco Kamado Joe Roadshow in your area. Two bags for $30. Super fine deal!

    http://www.costco.com/kamado-joe-schedule.html
    Have to watch what you buy. The Green Bag KJ is not as good. Seen it at a few road shows.
    Green bag? Were they also selling black Kamado Joes at those Roadshows?

    I know KJ used to sell their lump in brown bags for a while. I believe all their lump is in red bags now. All of their charcoal is from Argentina. Their "restaurant grade" charcoal is bagged in the US so they can have more control over the size of the chunks in the bag to ensure more big chunks per bag.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Dik
    "...For while we have our eyes on the future
    history has its eyes on us..." Amanda Gorman

    Camped out in the (757/948/804)




  • Try cow chips.  I'm sure you can find them for free out in the country.  If you live in the city, then forget it.  It will cost you a couple of bucks for gas to drive to the country.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Photo EggPhoto Egg Posts: 10,666
    HeavyG said:t those Roadshows?

    I know KJ used to sell their lump in brown bags for a while. I believe all their lump is in red bags now. All of their charcoal is from Argentina. Their "restaurant grade" charcoal is bagged in the US so they can have more control over the size of the chunks in the bag to ensure more big chunks per bag.
    The green bags were popping up at the road shows last year. It was a softer wood and not the same source as the Argentina hard wood in the red bags.
    I hope they have stopped this line of lump.
    Just a friendly warning.
    Thank you,
    Darian

    Galveston Texas
  • Chief9Chief9 Posts: 136
    edited June 2016
    Just ordered a couple bags of the kamado Joe today from the ace hardware website. Haven't used it before, but looking forward to trying it after yalls recommendations 
    Carrollton, Va
  • SmokingPineySmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Good thing this isn't Friday night.  ;)
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • DieselkWDieselkW Posts: 886
    edited June 2016
    I was told not to use briquettes because they have paraffin in them, and there is off-gas residue will get in the pores of the ceramic.
    Is the competition Kingsford made without wax binders?
    Did my otherwise excellent BGE dealer tell me a little white lie?

    Edit: I checked Naked Whiz.. http://www.nakedwhiz.com/productreviews/kingsfordcompetition/kingsfordcompetition.htm
    apparently the competition brand has a starch binder and borax in it, but none of the nasty chemicals associated with cheap briquettes.

    Indianapolis, IN

    BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

    Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 



  • HeavyGHeavyG Posts: 7,691
    DieselkW said:
    I was told not to use briquettes because they have paraffin in them, and there is off-gas residue will get in the pores of the ceramic.
    Is the competition Kingsford made without wax binders?
    Did my otherwise excellent BGE dealer tell me a little white lie?

    Edit: I checked Naked Whiz.. http://www.nakedwhiz.com/productreviews/kingsfordcompetition/kingsfordcompetition.htm
    apparently the competition brand has a starch binder and borax in it, but none of the nasty chemicals associated with cheap briquettes.
    The "match light" or other instant lighting briquettes may have some paraffin like stuff in them but regular briquettes do not.

    There is absolutely nothing wrong with using briquettes in a kamado. That is all my dad ever used in his for decades.


    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Dik
    "...For while we have our eyes on the future
    history has its eyes on us..." Amanda Gorman

    Camped out in the (757/948/804)




  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 23,132
    edited June 2016
    But do not use matchlight.  I bought a small bag of that crap when it first hit the market some 30+ years (?) ago.  Never could get the lighter fluid taste burned off.  Tossed  about half the bag and went back to the regular briquets (Kingsford, feeding a weber kettle) and all was well.  I'm sure there have been significant improvements in the 3 decades but not enough for me to ever consider it again-if I ever move to the briquet dark-side  ;)
    Louisville; "indeterminate Jim" here.  Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!
  • blastingblasting Posts: 6,262
    Try cow chips.  I'm sure you can find them for free out in the country.  If you live in the city, then forget it.  

    @Fred19Flintstone    Cities have dog parks...

    @Jstroke  has a point about getting creative with the storage.  If RO bothers you that much, time to look around the house.  Buying one bag at a time is probably the "normal" thing to do.  On this forum, not so much.  My neighbor looked into my garage the other day and just started laughing at my lump stash.
    Phoenix 
  • Darby_CrenshawDarby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited June 2016
    DieselkW said:
    I was told not to use briquettes because they have paraffin in them, and there is off-gas residue will get in the pores of the ceramic.
    Is the competition Kingsford made without wax binders?
    Did my otherwise excellent BGE dealer tell me a little white lie?

    Edit: I checked Naked Whiz.. http://www.nakedwhiz.com/productreviews/kingsfordcompetition/kingsfordcompetition.htm
    apparently the competition brand has a starch binder and borax in it, but none of the nasty chemicals associated with cheap briquettes.
    There's no paraffin in (most?) briquettes. If there were, it'd burn cleaner than your charcoal. Hell. Food has paraffin in it. And don't worry about 'pores' and absorbing stuff. It would burn off if it happened, and it doesn't happen

    Lighter fluid or match-light briquettes would be bad voodoo though

    The myth of unknown nasty chemicals in briquettes is one of the most repeated and least founded. 

    Inert binders are used to hold the pulverized charcoal together and release from the mold. Some briquettes have added nitrite, but if that concerns you, barbecue is out of the question to begin with

    the issue with briquettes in the BGE is ash and airflow. You can use them, just need to manage ash better
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

  • NonaScottNonaScott Posts: 446
    In that video do you think He had more briquettes in the firebox? Could he really go 12 hours at 225 on one chimney full?
    Narcoossee, FL

    LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • LitLit Posts: 8,679
    HeavyG said:
    Photo Egg said:
    HeavyG said:
    Photo Egg said:
    When asking questions such as yours, it's very helpful to know where you are located. You might get better answers from other members in your area.
    Ace Hardware sells the Kamado Joe lump in the red bag. So far it's been some of the best I have ever used. It's $25 for a 22 pound bag. Can be ordered online and shipped to your store for pickup. Use code "JUNE2516" for 25% off one item under $50.
    I still miss Ozark Oak but have no problem using Royal Oak at $8 for a 17 1/2 pound bag and stock up when it's on sale. I just give it an extra 5-10 minutes to burn clean.
    Anybody wanting to buy Kamado Joe lump should keep an eye out for a Costco Kamado Joe Roadshow in your area. Two bags for $30. Super fine deal!

    http://www.costco.com/kamado-joe-schedule.html
    Have to watch what you buy. The Green Bag KJ is not as good. Seen it at a few road shows.
    Green bag? Were they also selling black Kamado Joes at those Roadshows?

    I know KJ used to sell their lump in brown bags for a while. I believe all their lump is in red bags now. All of their charcoal is from Argentina. Their "restaurant grade" charcoal is bagged in the US so they can have more control over the size of the chunks in the bag to ensure more big chunks per bag.
    They sell both the brown bag and the red bag. The brown bag is bad all really small pieces. The red bag is awesome as good as any lump out there. I bought 2 bags of the red last weekend at the Cumming GA roadshow for $30 and wish I had bought more. It reminds me a lot of wicked good.
  • LitLit Posts: 8,679
    Many of you may think I'm nuts but the last 6-7 bags of Royal Oak I've gone through have been very good. Prior to this bunch I had used 7 bags of Rockwood, and a couple bags of cowboy out of desperation, and I am not seeing much of a difference between RW and RO. Perhaps the RO burns faster but I that's just a gut feeling. The Cowboy is crap but works in a pinch.

    Start up with the RO has been very fast with little smoke, good size chunks in most bags(not all), burns nicely, and the food has been good. 

    Just my .02


    I made a post a couple years ago that I was pretty sure the hasty bake lump was the same as Ozark Oak due to the high pitched tink sound it makes when you pour it into the egg. I have heard that same sound with RO with this years stock and the pieces are bigger in size than the 2 bags of Rockwood I bought in the past. 
  • SmokingPineySmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    edited June 2016
    I'll pour gasoline on this fire - the RO I've been burning lately has been great. It burns very clean from the start and works great.

    Oh.................the sacrilege...... =)

    In the guitar world, we call it "cork sniffing". No need for lump that was not  harvested under a full moon by 12 nude vestal virgins who were then sacrificed on the Altar of Pure Smoke.

    Just cook and be happy.
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • After pulling a cork all evening, I find this thread more silly than before.  With all due respect to the OP, you bought a BGE.  In case you don't remember, they are quite pricey to buy.  It's like buying a Porsche and then complaining about the cost of the premium gas that you're supposed the burn as opposed to the economical regular unleaded gas.

    This is a serious problem.


    Flint, Michigan
  • Meeeshigan22Meeeshigan22 Posts: 300
    After pulling a cork all evening, I find this thread more silly than before.  With all due respect to the OP, you bought a BGE.  In case you don't remember, they are quite pricey to buy.  It's like buying a Porsche and then complaining about the cost of the premium gas that you're supposed the burn as opposed to the economical regular unleaded gas.

    This is a serious problem.



    What a ridiculous analogy. We should never discuss more cost effective burn methods.

    Highland, MI

    L BGE, Primo, and a KJ Jr
  • milesvdustinmilesvdustin Posts: 2,883
    I jse kingsford briquettes sometimes. 

    2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

    Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

  • After pulling a cork all evening, I find this thread more silly than before.  With all due respect to the OP, you bought a BGE.  In case you don't remember, they are quite pricey to buy.  It's like buying a Porsche and then complaining about the cost of the premium gas that you're supposed the burn as opposed to the economical regular unleaded gas.

    This is a serious problem.



    What a ridiculous analogy. We should never discuss more cost effective burn methods.

    Gimme a break!  The man was contemplating coal pellets!  My argument makes perfect sense.  If you can afford an egg, then you can afford the lump.  Maybe Scrooge McDuck should buy some lump, crack a beer & cook.



    Flint, Michigan
  • g37g37 Posts: 450
    Buying lump is a gamble.  Meaning  sometimes its in great condition  and sometimes its crumbs. Its happened  to all of  us. I love the idea of cooking with wood/lump charcoal.  Most  of my friends don't  own kamado grills but they all switched  to lump charcoal  because  of me and my egg.  Lump charcoal  makes the food taste better. Just my opinion.  
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • blastingblasting Posts: 6,262

    If anyone is concerned about lump consumption on an egg, go cook on a UDS and report back.  Lump consumption on an egg is negligible compared to other cookers.

    I know someone who laments about gas prices to fill his $750,000 diesel pusher - kind of the same thing.



    Phoenix 
Sign In or Register to comment.
Click here for Forum Use Guidelines.