Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

RTIC Soft Pak coolers

Options
Has anybody ordered one of these? I'm supposed to get mine May 22. Not sure if that's the first wave, or some people got them already. The Mrs thinks I have a cooler problem. 2 polar bears, a yeti 50, a few igloos, now this. I Ike to keep things cold...
Cleveland, Ohio

Comments

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    I also, have a cooler "problem".  Got rid of the igloos after I received my RTIC and Yeti 65s.....  I am sure the RTIC Soft Pak will be awesome, however I have had great success with my Polarbear Softside...
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Tackman
    You say that you have a cooler problem above. Well my friend, not trying to throw fuel on the fire, but keep a eye out for RTIC's soon to be available to the general public model. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    Options
    SGH said:
    @Tackman
    You say that you have a cooler problem above. Well my friend, not trying to throw fuel on the fire, but keep a eye out for RTIC's soon to be available to the general public model. 

I will have to get one of these!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • SGH
    Options

I will have to get one of these!
    All kidding aside, I'm going to get 10 of them. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• johnl350
    johnl350 Posts: 125
    Options
    I ordered a RTIC soft 30 cooler on Monday. I don't have anything from them yet and have never had a "fancy" cooler yet but I think it will be pretty nice. 
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    SGH said:
    @Tackman

Looks like it might just be a sticker.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    I shouldnt have looked.. I have a 50 yeti and a 20 rtic.. been wanting a soft cooler thats a bit lighter when we go to the mtns that I can take to asheville to load up with beer and stuff, or to smash together in the car when we head away from home for groceries that need to be cold.

and.... it just cost me $150 bucks...
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • kwdickert
    kwdickert Posts: 308
    Options
    I ordered mine the day we saw them come out on social media. Originally a 5/14 ship date. Now they're saying end of the month... Hope they rock.
    Memphis TN - Large Green Egg
  • kwdickert
    Options
    Just an update, the 5/14 date is now 6/4. Let me know if anyone gets their cooler sooner.
  • kwdickert
    Options
    Well I got a shipment notification last night and I quickly searched to see if any new reviews were out there. Looks like mine may be of the first batch to customers! 
  • castironman
    Options
     The website now states "order today ships by 08-29-2016".  (Sigh) I was really hoping on a legitimate review and    enough inventory to get one for use this summer.
    @kwdickert - Looking forward to your review
    It's like a cross between a hurricane and a ship that's run aground
  • Fosk
    Fosk Posts: 19
    Options
    I ordered the soft 30 and had original ship date of 5/14. Then it was changed to 6/04. Received an email yesterday (5/31) stating it has shipped. The tracking # only shows that a label has been created.
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    I was hoping to get one before an upcoming trip to the beach with the family; but I guess that ain't happening!  I was going to use this as a trip to convince the Mrs. that I need a MiniMax as well!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• FATC1TY
    Options
    Need to look to see what my ship date is now.. Could have really used it this past weekend..

My gripe is them charging your account, and holding your money for whatever date they pull out of the air for shipping. Wish they'd just hit your account when they make a ship label, rather than hold it for months on end.

-FATC1TY
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,657
    Options
    One thing that may be delaying shipping.....

We won a pretty big award at work. As  a Thank You and kind of an award our General Manager contacted RTIC and ordered 825 of the soft side 20's. Each employee gets one.

That is not a typo, 825. RTIC said it is their biggest order to date. They said we should get them in late June. I'm not so sure about that.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:

We won a pretty big award at work. As  a Thank You and kind of an award our General Manager contacted RTIC and ordered 825 of the soft side 20's. Each employee gets one.

That is not a typo, 825. RTIC said it is their biggest order to date. They said we should get them in late June. I'm not so sure about that.
    That is a cool gift...For my 10 year I got a plastic business card holder...I don't have business cards...lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    I ordered the day they came available. They made the ship label yesterday. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    FATC1TY said:

My gripe is them charging your account, and holding your money for whatever date they pull out of the air for shipping. Wish they'd just hit your account when they make a ship label, rather than hold it for months on end.

+1

This is the reason I could never bring myself to get one.  It just feels like they have to charge you to pay for the ones ordered a few weeks before yours.

I'd rather pay a bit extra and get charged when my item ships (and get my order A LOT quicker).

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Acn said:
    FATC1TY said:

+1

This is the reason I could never bring myself to get one.  It just feels like they have to charge you to pay for the ones ordered a few weeks before yours.

I'd rather pay a bit extra and get charged when my item ships (and get my order A LOT quicker).
    I understand the instant gratification thing and also agree that I would rather get billed when cooler is ready to ship. There was also the trust issues with a new company.
    My $200 in my money market account was earning a whopping 1.9% when I ordered my cooler. Less than 32 cents a month. So my 3 month wait cost me less than $1 dollar.
    So far, no issues with my 3 hard coolers. I have several of the Polar Bear soft coolers but I'm still ready to hear what people think of the RTIC soft coolers and hope they ship soon.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • FATC1TY
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Acn said:
    FATC1TY said:

+1

I understand the instant gratification thing and also agree that I would rather get billed when cooler is ready to ship. There was also the trust issues with a new company.
    My $200 in my money market account was earning a whopping 1.9% when I ordered my cooler. Less than 32 cents a month. So my 3 month wait cost me less than $1 dollar.
    So far, no issues with my 3 hard coolers. I have several of the Polar Bear soft coolers but I'm still ready to hear what people think of the RTIC soft coolers and hope they ship soon.
    I dont think anyone is arguing the loss of interest in their money. We are talking small bucks here in the terms of "investment".

It's just the matter of them charging and getting squared up, and having the ability to push back and hold your purchase without being completely upfront about it.

Their product is fine. Becoming a bit more than just a yeti knock off. I love my yeti, and I like my rtic hard cooler as well.

It's just a sign to many, when a company takes your money upfront and requires you to wait for what amounts to a small product and small purchase. We aren't talking deposits here for large purchases or pre-releases.. If they need the money, be upfront with the $50 upfront, and card is charged full amount upon shipping. I think most understand that.
    -FATC1TY
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    FATC1TY said:
    Photo Egg said:
    Acn said:
    FATC1TY said:

+1

I dont think anyone is arguing the loss of interest in their money. We are talking small bucks here in the terms of "investment".

It's just the matter of them charging and getting squared up, and having the ability to push back and hold your purchase without being completely upfront about it.

Their product is fine. Becoming a bit more than just a yeti knock off. I love my yeti, and I like my rtic hard cooler as well.

It's just a sign to many, when a company takes your money upfront and requires you to wait for what amounts to a small product and small purchase. We aren't talking deposits here for large purchases or pre-releases.. If they need the money, be upfront with the $50 upfront, and card is charged full amount upon shipping. I think most understand that.
    Agree with all of this. I have looked at getting one, and I don't remember seeing a note on their order form saying "Your card will be charged on order, not on shipment" or something similar.  If they were totally upfront on this, my view on doing business with them would be different. 

And obviously, since I said I'd rather pay more, I'm not stressing the lack of interest on the money that came out of the savings account.  But putting the cost of waiting in purely monetary concerns isn't complete either.  There is an opportunity cost of not having your cooler too.  If I had waited the 2.5-3 month lag time when I looked to order, I wouldn't have been able to take the cooler camping twice, or to the pork outlet by my in-laws.  If it was strictly RTIC vs. Yeti, maybe the $175 price difference between the 45s would be worth it, but there are dozens of options at price points in between.  Saving $35 between the RTIC 45 and Igloo Sportsman 40 wasn't nearly worth waiting 10 weeks.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• kwdickert
    Options
    OUT FOR DELIVERY! Excited. Will report back when I can. Busy weekend. Don't have a Yeti to compare it to so i'll leave that to someone else.
  • SGH
    Options
    kwdickert said:
    Don't have a Yeti to compare it to so i'll leave that to someone else.
    I do my friend. I will just leave it at this. If you want a outstanding cooler at a great price, then go with RTIC. If you want to get taken or suckered and your name included in my next Yeti song, then go with the Yeti. On a serious note, I honestly do like RTIC better.

Status- Standing by.

• kwdickert
    Options
    SGH said:
    kwdickert said:
    Don't have a Yeti to compare it to so i'll leave that to someone else.
    I do my friend. I will just leave it at this. If you want a outstanding cooler at a great price, then go with RTIC. If you want to get taken or suckered and your name included in my next Yeti song, then go with the Yeti. On a serious note, I honestly do like RTIC better.
    Does this mean you already got your RTIC softpak?
  • kwdickert
    Options
    I've had mine since sat day. Filled w ice sat afternoon. All ice melted by today. Cooler was inside my house the whole time. Not sure if I'm loving the 5 day claim but it is a handy cooler. Makes me second guess the price and wait. Stick with the trusty hard coolers for now. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    shtgunal3 said:

That is a cool gift...For my 10 year I got a plastic business card holder...I don't have business cards...lol
    Don't feel bad, I didn't get so much as a phone call for my 10yr with a previous employer. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I received my 30 today. After seeing the Yeti at REI and Dicks, the RTIC blows it away just on design. The fact that the top Flips open and you don't rake your hands and arms on the zipper(which must be even worse when gripping a bottle or can since you can't flatten your hand out) and has insulation wins in my book. For 125 bucks, I'm quite pleased that this will hold ice for 1-2 days, despite the claim. I'd be more upset if it was 300 bucks. This will work for my intended purpose of walking to the pool(about 3/4 mile) or to the beach from my parent's place(similar distance) without having to lug a heavier/bulkier hard cooler with my that would also take up one hand, versus this soft one which comes with a shoulder strap.

The only advantage that I see a hard cooler having is the fact that you can sit on it. The RTIC soft side is sturdy enough that you can use it as a table, which will be nice next to the beach chairs.
  • kwdickert
    Options
    I received my 30 today. After seeing the Yeti at REI and Dicks, the RTIC blows it away just on design. The fact that the top Flips open and you don't rake your hands and arms on the zipper(which must be even worse when gripping a bottle or can since you can't flatten your hand out) and has insulation wins in my book. For 125 bucks, I'm quite pleased that this will hold ice for 1-2 days, despite the claim. I'd be more upset if it was 300 bucks. This will work for my intended purpose of walking to the pool(about 3/4 mile) or to the beach from my parent's place(similar distance) without having to lug a heavier/bulkier hard cooler with my that would also take up one hand, versus this soft one which comes with a shoulder strap.

The only advantage that I see a hard cooler having is the fact that you can sit on it. The RTIC soft side is sturdy enough that you can use it as a table, which will be nice next to the beach chairs.
    It's still a keeper in my book but just was hoping for all of RTIC items to uphold all their claims. This is the first one that's faltered. It's my new lake cooler for sure. 
  • cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    Options
    Current listed delivery date is 9/4/2016.
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    FATC1TY said:

This is very well said, and the reason I don't have an RTIC cooler yet.  I have some of their cups, because they shipped right away.  

If they are going to use my cash to fund their startup, I want a dividend check inside the cooler when it arrives.  Not in any way slamming RTIC, but no way could I charge my customers up front for services performed 4 months in the future.

Phoenix