Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Rub

Options
g8golfer
g8golfer Posts: 1,025
Trying to find a good rub for a pork shoulder or porl tenderloin. I'm new to the egg so I'm needing some help. I did a porl shoulder a week ago and it turned out awesome but the rub was terrible. I'm all ears. I'm willing to try store bought or even mixing some up using a recipe. 

Comments

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Check out Dizzy Pig.  They are very popular around here:
    http://dizzypigbbq.com/original_blends/

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,338
    Options
    My vote goes to DP rubs as well. Buy a sample pack and figure out which 2,3, or 12 you prefer. :)
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    Options
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Check the Memphis Dust recipe at amazingribs.com.  I use it for most all my pork. 
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    BBBR  Bad Byrons Butt Rub is about all I've ever used. Just can't get away from a good thing !!!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• cheeaa
    cheeaa Posts: 364
    Options
    Spog goes with everything
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Coffee Rub         (turkey, chicken, beef & pork)

Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee

Equal part: Brown Sugar

½ part: Black Pepper

½ part: Kosher Salt

½ part: Garlic Powder

¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder

Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from  MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup  Instant Expresso Ground coffee  and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Also also big fan of Bad Byrons Butt Rub. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    MCR is awesome. I tried it on turkey for Thanksgiving a couple of years ago and fell in love. I use it on steaks and lots of fowl. Always gets great reviews from guests and everyone loves the mocha flavor.

Thanks Mickey for introducing me to MCR !!!!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Shoulder and tenderloin are vastly different beasts IMO. I like an aggressive run with butts or shoulder such as Bad Byron's Butt Rub. The tenderloins get a variety of more subtle rubs in my house such as Dizzy Pig Red Eye Express and DP Raging River. Just have to find what favors you like. The shoulder has exponentially more fat content and can hold up to a more agressive rub than the very lean tenderloin cut. 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Oakridge Secret Weapon

LBGE

Pikesville, MD