Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Poll: favorite rib rub

Options
13»

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Swamp venom is nice. Bessingers rub, secret weapon and Don Marco's Pig Powder or Cherry Bomb.
    Where did you buy the Cherry Bomb?
    I ordered it from Germany. Don Marcos is only sold in Europe as far as I am aware.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    As mentioned above, a blend of DP Dizzy Dust and Swamp Venom.
  • HendersonTRKing
    HendersonTRKing Posts: 1,803
    Options
    Moved from DP to MC.  Meat Church Honey Hog has become my go to.  Sometimes will mix in a little of the hot or pecan.  But the HH never fails to satisfy.
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    kwdickert said:
    Acn said:
    kwdickert said:
    Bad Byron's Butt Rub / Brown Sugar/ Kosher Salt. You CANNOT BEAT IT.

Bad Byron's is low in salt and has no sugar so for butts AND ribs, we do the dry brine salt procedure from amazing ribs and then do close to a 1:1 ratio bad byron's butt rub and brown sugar. Its amazing. No sauce touches our ribs.

This way, you control your heat, saltiness, sweetness all on your own.
    I've always thought bad byrons was mouth dessicatingly salty?
    That was my experience with Bad Byrons.  For me the saltiness was noticeable on butts, but made OK when sauced.  I tried it on ribs once and had to throw out two racks and get takeout because the ribs were so salty.
    Man, we have never experienced this. You could even skip the dry brine with kosher salt and just use bad byrons and it would be so far from salty. I wonder if there was ever a change in the recipe to a lower sodium content.
    I don't know if there was ever a change, I got a container in the exchange 2 years ago, and tossed after those two cooks I mentioned.  I did look up the sodium content for a few of the rubs mentioned here and BB did have a lot more.  All numbers are for 1/4 teaspoon.  

Bad Byrons - 172 mg (from Amazon)
    Dizzy Dust - 133 mg (from DP webpage)
    Oakridge Secret Weapon  - 73 mg (from Oakridge webpage)

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    As an addendum, I also use Dominator sweet rib rub from Oakridge and Head Country. HC might be my favorite so far on ribs, it's just mated perfectly to them.
  • gamason
    gamason Posts: 406
    Options
    Oakridge Sweet Rib Rub

Snellville,Ga.

LBGE

Minimax

• mgillia
    mgillia Posts: 89
    Options
    Camp Mix is the only rub I use on ribs.

Shiny side up, rubber side down!  PCB, FL

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Acn said:
    kwdickert said:
    Acn said:
    kwdickert said:
    Bad Byron's Butt Rub / Brown Sugar/ Kosher Salt. You CANNOT BEAT IT.

Bad Byron's is low in salt and has no sugar so for butts AND ribs, we do the dry brine salt procedure from amazing ribs and then do close to a 1:1 ratio bad byron's butt rub and brown sugar. Its amazing. No sauce touches our ribs.

This way, you control your heat, saltiness, sweetness all on your own.
    I've always thought bad byrons was mouth dessicatingly salty?
    That was my experience with Bad Byrons.  For me the saltiness was noticeable on butts, but made OK when sauced.  I tried it on ribs once and had to throw out two racks and get takeout because the ribs were so salty.
    Man, we have never experienced this. You could even skip the dry brine with kosher salt and just use bad byrons and it would be so far from salty. I wonder if there was ever a change in the recipe to a lower sodium content.
    I don't know if there was ever a change, I got a container in the exchange 2 years ago, and tossed after those two cooks I mentioned.  I did look up the sodium content for a few of the rubs mentioned here and BB did have a lot more.  All numbers are for 1/4 teaspoon.  

Bad Byrons - 172 mg (from Amazon)
    Dizzy Dust - 133 mg (from DP webpage)
    Oakridge Secret Weapon  - 73 mg (from Oakridge webpage)

DP also offers Dizzy Dust w. no salt, FWIW.