Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

USA Road Trip ... What Shouldn't We Miss?

Options
Stormbringer
Stormbringer Posts: 2,082
edited May 2016 in Off Topic
My wife and I are embarking on a road trip in September. We are starting in SF, then on to Lake Tahoe, Boise, Boise and Sawtooth National Forests, Idaho Falls, Yellowstone, the Tetons, Arches National Park, Monument Valley, Bryce Canyon and ending in Vegas.

In these places, or areas near them, are there any parks, monuments, etc. that are "oh you must go and see/do that"? Would be grateful of local knowledge to help make our journey outstanding. I did check if there were any CGS outlets en route, no luck though ... well, except Eggs on the Bay but they won't be open when we are there.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
| Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
| My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    I'd go to Glacier NP as well 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I wouldn't miss Going to the Sun road through Glacier NP. Most beautiful place in the country IMO.  Safe travels! 

Pompey Pillar near Billings is pretty cool if you're a history buff. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Do the Alpine in Yosemite, at night. Get out of your car, look up and see the Milky Way in its full glory. There are few places on earth that provide a better view.
    If you are a fan of firearms, the Winchester museum in Cody Wyoming is very cool. Buffalo Bill's Museum is righteous as well, and not too far from Yellowstone.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Mama Roneck
    Mama Roneck Posts: 386
    Options
    seconded on all of the museums that are part of the Buffalo Bill center in Cody WY!   budget plenty of time for them!
    Mamaroneck
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Fantastic plan, just make sure you leave enough time to loiter in these places.  So much good stuff.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Zion is close to Bryce, and stunning (especially if you can approach the park from the east, there's this tunnel...).
    And Sedona AZ is not too far from Monument Valley, in fact I'm spending next week there myself.  

Enjoy the trip!  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Options
    Isn't Walley World around there?

Flint, Michigan
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I would go to Alcatraz - you can and must buy tickets in advance and they're available online. Camp Richardson is a chill place in Lake Tahoe if you're at south shore.
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Napa and Sonoma to stock up on vino for the rest of the trip. 
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Donner Pass is cool too
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options
    I would make a stop at Mt. Evans. It's the highest paved road in North America at 14,260 feet. Check if it's open before you go.
    I've been there and there was a storm with the lighting below us.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    From Vegas, there are some ancient volcanoes near flagstaff a few hours away.
  • DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Options
    Close to Blackfoot ID, there is a set of mesas in the middle of the desert everyone drives too 
  • jeroldharter
    jeroldharter Posts: 556
    Options
    You did not say how much time you have. This is certainly a whirlwind. One of the highlights is the national parks of southern Utah. From East to West are Arches, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef, Bryce, Zion. While you are at Bryce you could check out the north rim of the Grand Canyon and the Coral Pink Sand Dunes state park. If the weather has cooled down a bit, you should see Death Valley NP which is about 3 hours from Las Vegas and I think one of the most beautiful national parks.

You might spend more time in the Eastern Sierras south of Lake Taho - Mono Lake, Alabama Hills, Bodie. But doing so will make you tight on time.

In September, you can get snow in Glacier so the weather will likely start pushing you southward during your tip.

With any one national park, you could easily spend a week. We spent 6 weeks in the Glacier/Yellowstone/Tetons area. So you might consider going the other way with the itinerary - cross of some of the lesser stops so you can spend more time at the primo locations.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I can't offer anything as my time in the west is minimal, but damn I'm jealous. 
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Or Santa Rosa and Sonoma for craft beer, whatever your forte.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Donner Pass is cool too
    Just be sure to have enough food...
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    This*^* Find the Oakville Grocery, a kind of general store. Have them pack a gourmet picnic lunch, let them provide a few suggestions on the pairing of wine, then take the picnic to the California pacific highway, (California and U.S. Route one. Enjoy one of the most beautiful drives in the world, crossing back in to SF via the Golden Gate Bridge.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Que up Johnny Cash's I've Been Everywhere!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,082
    Options
    Thanks for all of the advice. The trip is three weeks, we have a single day in SF after the plane lands in the afternoon, then we're off. I'm sure that we can alter our route to fit in some of this stuff, Mt. Evans looks like a clear winner.

If I have the geography correct, Donner Pass is off the 80 near Truckee? That could work, that was one potential route to get from SF to Lake Tahoe.

Arches and Canyonlands are now on the itinerary, and Sedona is probably going to make it too.

| Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire

• Stormbringer
    Options
    Went to Donner Pass today, view was breath-taking, as was the story of the original pioneers. Next stop Boise, eating at a place that does SRF steaks and visiting a BBQ store to buy lots of rubs.

SWMBO saw a bear ... so that's her single holiday success criteria met. :)

Thanks again for the advice.

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    edited September 2016
    Options
    sounds like a good time

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• tikigriller
    Options

If you have the legs, get to the trailhead for Half Dome in Yosemite.  Have to be hiking by about 6:30 to get up and back down in a reasonable amount of time without having to rush.  You will see area's of Yosemite that not many do, and you CAN go to the top of halfdome.  There is  a rope to help you climb up the side. 

Been everywhere you have listed, and you will not be disappointed no matter what you do.  Yellowstone and Tetons was amazing, but check into Yellowstone.....they have a pretty good wildfire going that closed some roads last week, so it may not be the best time to head out there.  I have no idea the status of the fires now.  To really appreciate Tetons, IMHO, you need to get your hiking boots on and get in deep on some day hikes.  Amazing stuff!

Canyonlands...if you have a little 4X4 has a great dirt road you can drive on.  In a day you can get almost halfway before you need to start heading back, but it gets you some amazing views as well.

Bryce is fun...hiking boots again and you can do some really cool day hikes to get a full feel for the park, as it is fairly small, but worth it.

Hoover Dam was pretty fascinating and very close to Vegas.

If you do go to Napa---go to Paradux and Regusci Wineries.  Best wine in Napa for taste and vibe IMHO.  In fact, I'll be there Friday and Saturday!!  Yummmmmm!!!!!!

And yes..Wallyworld is Six Flags Magic Mountain, but it is all the way down by L.A.  =)

Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    You have to have a permit these days to hike Half Dome. Might be hard to get one this late in the game. 
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Yellowstone is huge. Fires are commonplace. Don't let that discourage you. It's a 100% must see. 
  • Stormbringer
    Options
    We are doing Yellowstone for sure.

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    My wife always wanted to make a road trip like this...Do you have room for her?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    i went to yellowstone and never looked up, theres fish in those rivers. best fly fishing week i ever had was in the quake/slide area outside the west gate =) i hear theres things to see there as well =) be careful near waters outside the park, the land owners are not really nice if you step on their land
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • tikigriller
    Options
    You have to have a permit these days to hike Half Dome. Might be hard to get one this late in the game. 
    Well that sucks!!!  It is such an awesome hike!!!  It was almost 20 years ago when I did it!
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Options
    I would also say go to craters of the moon national monument in Idaho