Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temperature management systems

Options
There are lots out there. What are your experiences BESIDES Digi Q. Just wondering about the competition.

Comments

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I have a Rock's BBQ Stoker.
    They are very capable units. Properly equipped they can control multiple eggs.

They are a bit of a science project compared to the BBQ Guru's.

You will be pleased with either. They both do a fantastic job. 
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    I have the digi q... It's awesome

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    My experience is, if I had it to do again, I wouldn't. I have a DigiQ, but for me, it was a waste of money. My DigiQ works fine, I just don't use it as much as I thought I would. And with turbo cooking, you can put a butt on in the morning and have Q for dinner (no more overnight cooks).

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    @jstroke details many paths of controller.  here are two more:
    first controller - my fingers.  egg does a great job.
    second controller - flame boss 200.  i love gadgets, charts, and building stuff, but the darned thing works great and is super convenient.  no regrets about it.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,049
    edited May 2016
    Options
    The egg does a great job of regulating temp.  However, I never slept well during over night cooks, and occasionally do cooks that I cannot afford to screw up .... SRF, large parties, etc.  Therefore I purchased a Flameboss 100.

I have been extremely happy with the controller.  It is super easy to use and does a great job.  I also sleep like a rock during over night cooks now.  That alone was worth the $$$ to me.

I have since upgraded to a Flameboss 200 which is awesome.  I like the wifi, especially when I have to go to kids sporting events, or just hanging out with friends at the neighborhood pool.

I also was lucky enough to get in the beta testing program for the SmoBot controller.  This is different from all the other controller because it adjusts the exhaust side instead of the inlet.  (No fan).  This controller is also very good and super simple to operate.

I have used a digi-q, it worked well, but the customer support at Flameboss and the more "finished/professional" fit and finish on the Flameboss head unit are the tie breakers for me.  If you don't mind waiting I would keep an eye on SmoBots, but they are not in the full production phase yet.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Jstroke said:
    Well, here goes nothing. I don't own one--but this is what I see. Most guys buy one before they learn how to really run their egg. They chase temps and have fires go out, so they buy a controller. Not all, but many. Then as skills grow they use it less. Then not at all. Or just with brisket, which they cook rarely. As life gets in the way of 20 hour cooks. Or they buy a cabinet if they get more serious. OR they buy a controller because they like technology and love to see graphs and run things from the office. In which case they use it every time and upgrade models and bicker about the details with like minded individuals.  And serious tech geeks build their own for a fraction of the price, which is cool, but at that point the egg is an excuse to have more gadgets. I guess it depends if you like futzing with electrical stuff. 
    I don't own one either. Buckeye's are purists. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    I've decided not to go with the crowd. I have a Smobot. It's pretty awesome, a plus is that it doesn't run off a blower.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,049
    Options
    Jstroke said:
    Well, here goes nothing. I don't own one--but this is what I see. Most guys buy one before they learn how to really run their egg. They chase temps and have fires go out, so they buy a controller. Not all, but many. Then as skills grow they use it less. Then not at all. Or just with brisket, which they cook rarely. As life gets in the way of 20 hour cooks. Or they buy a cabinet if they get more serious. OR they buy a controller because they like technology and love to see graphs and run things from the office. In which case they use it every time and upgrade models and bicker about the details with like minded individuals.  And serious tech geeks build their own for a fraction of the price, which is cool, but at that point the egg is an excuse to have more gadgets. I guess it depends if you like futzing with electrical stuff. 
    I don't own one either. Buckeye's are purists. 
    Its funny, I enjoy the art of bbq, but sometimes I just want the great food without the worry.  End product is ultimately my goal.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    My experience is, if I had it to do again, I wouldn't. I have a DigiQ, but for me, it was a waste of money. My DigiQ works fine, I just don't use it as much as I thought I would. And with turbo cooking, you can put a butt on in the morning and have Q for dinner (no more overnight cooks).
    Threads a little young for a hijack, but I'm relatively new to these things. What exactly is a "Turbo cook"? Again, sorry for the derail...
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Thanks Buckeye, I feel the same way. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Jstroke
    Options
    I will PM turbo
  • Jlash3
    Jlash3 Posts: 3
    Options
    6-7 years ago was at Lowes and bought a crappy chargriller with a sidebox, modified the heck out of it over the next few years with ideas found on the Internet.  Didnt know what a leaky piece of junk it was at the time but still learned to make some good Q on it.  Had to babysit it like a hawk though.  Always adjusting vents, pouring more charcoal in there, (it went thru charcoal briquettes like a teenager goes through pizza) watching the temps that could change with a little more wind. So to the point of the thread, bought an IQ110, one of the cheaper controllers but it worked well even on a chargriller. When I got the bGE just needed a $10 plate to use it on the egg.  I love the ease of setting the thing and literally forgetting it for hours at a time because in the egg, the temp doesn't move, ever.  I set the egg and go to bed and sleep like a baby.  Although I'm not really interested in monitoring the thing with my cell phone, a controller is a nice tool. If the IQ dies I would probably get a Guru.
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    Will never buy another BBQ GURU product. Their customer service sucks. Have a FlameBoss 200. Device has had some problems, but thanks to their outstanding customer service has never been a problem. If you are looking for a pit only controller Auber works great. Wish it had the open lid feature...I just unplug it if the lid will be open for any length of time to avoid it running over..
  • Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    I've decided to REALLY not go with the crowd.    I have NO electronic aids other than a meat thermometer.   I used my Multi-Meter (DVM) which has a type-K thermocouple input for a while, but REALLY?
    At least for normal grilling, when I close the lid the temp is at 400 to 450 and immediately DROPS to 350 where it STAYS for almost as long as I care to cook.
    Darn thing just drops into a GROOVE.

Indirect adds another dimension, with that extra 20lb of ceramic right OVER the fire.   Temp doesn't drop as quickly so I have to get it closer to 'right' before adding the goods.

I'll get there with low and slow, but it'll take more time and experience.

• Meeeshigan22
    Meeeshigan22 Posts: 306
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Pains me to agree with a Bucknut, @jstroke nailed me to a T.  Have a Flame Boss 200 and it works great, love the tech and it can be fun but I haven't used it in months. And my Maverick sits unused right next to it. Only use the Thermapen now.

I'll probably break out the FB for a brisket this weekend however. It really works well and helped initially with the overnight butts but turbo is where it's at for me now.
    Highland, MI

L BGE, Primo, and a KJ Jr
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    dougcrann said:
    ... Wish it had the open lid feature...I just unplug it if the lid will be open for any length of time to avoid it running over..
    @dougcrann ... this is in the Flameboss 200 advert:

Open Lid Detects the sudden temperature drop from opening the lid and turns the fan off temporarily to avoid over-stoking the fire

You can control the length of time the fan stays off when it detects an open lid.  Scroll through the menu to "Open Pit Pause" and then set the time you want the fan to be off.  You can set it for a maximum of 10 minutes.  Mine is set for 2 minutes ... works good for retirement speed.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• bigalsworth
    bigalsworth Posts: 685
    Options
    if you want to start out cheap get something like the maverick, it may meet your need and save you a bunch of cash.  I have the digiq II but I bought it before my maverick.  All I really need is something to wake me up at night if something goes wrong so I don't really feel like I need a controller to get a peaceful sleep.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Begger said:
    I've decided to REALLY not go with the crowd.    I have NO electronic aids other than a meat thermometer.   I used my Multi-Meter (DVM) which has a type-K thermocouple input for a while, but REALLY?
    At least for normal grilling, when I close the lid the temp is at 400 to 450 and immediately DROPS to 350 where it STAYS for almost as long as I care to cook.
    Darn thing just drops into a GROOVE.

Indirect adds another dimension, with that extra 20lb of ceramic right OVER the fire.   Temp doesn't drop as quickly so I have to get it closer to 'right' before adding the goods.

I'll get there with low and slow, but it'll take more time and experience.

That was me for the first 9 years. I have a cyber Q now- use it 50/50 on low and slow. Probably will sell it now that I have another smoker for low and slow. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    Another shoutout for the FlameBoss. Michael Collins offers amazing support .. takes care of you when anything goes wrong with the controller.
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,528
    edited May 2016
    Options
    My two cents, you ABSOLUTELY do not need one...but if you cook for more than your family and have several hundred dollars of meat on the smoker..I like to have that insurance policy I get with my Stoker...ESPECIALLY if its windy outside.....

@Jstroke
    @THEBuckeye....

Roll Tide gents!
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

I would suggest learning how to control your Egg manually before getting a controller, You never know, something might go wrong when you are setting up for an overnight cook and you should be able to do it without help.

Once, you figure that out, decide how much tech you want. Do you want wifi? Be able to control it away from home? Plot graphs and stuff?

I was given an Auber years ago as a gift. It worked ok sometimes. Hated that it did not have an open lid detect. It was like a rollercoaster, too. It would overshoot, then shut off and undershoot, then overshoot a little bit less, then undershoot a little bit less, everytime getting closer and by the time you woke up in the morning it would be steady. But those first overshoots could be up to 25 degrees.

Michael Collins gave me one of the first Flame Bosses to review. Great customer support, worked like a charm. Then he sent me a FB100. The unit looked a whole lot better and performed just as great but with probes that can withstand higher temps (think he said 700F?). never got a 200, but I'm not interested in all those bells and whistles.

They are great units and sometimes I even use it when I'm not doing a low and slow. If I've got the kid and I'm by myself and can't pay attention to the Egg, I'll stick the kid in his highchair which he hates, I'll light it and set it up for anywhere from 350-450 and when the wife gets home, I know the Egg will be ready to go.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Griffin said:

Michael Collins ... sent me a FB100. The unit looked a whole lot better and performed just as great but with probes that can withstand higher temps (think he said 700F?). never got a 200, but I'm not interested in all those bells and whistles.

@Griffin ... Michael told me the probes are good for 450 degrees F on the 100 and 200 units.

I second the advice to learn manual control of the egg first.  And then, plan on investing some time in learning to use which ever controller you choose to purchase.  There's a learning curve there also.

I don't care what the chest beating minimalists say, it's great to use a controller to simply start the egg when you can't stand there and watch it ... or don't want to. 

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Jameson19
    Jameson19 Posts: 354
    Options
    For the past several years, I used nothing to control my large or small egg. The overnight cooks were exhausting, mainly because of my own worries of screwing up a party by ruining meat, or not having it done on time. Mostly my egg behaved, sometimes it didn't and I would find it at 190° at 6am, so I'd babysit it all morning getting it to stabilize around 250°. I'm in no way a morning person.... 

As a birthday gift a few months ago, I received a bbq guru digiq. I've used it several times, but only for low and slow and the 350° cooks or less. The fan motor stopped working once, bow guru replaced it no questions asked within a day or two, even though it was purchased on Amazon. Their customer service was wonderful. 

IMO, one should learn their egg(s), how it behaves under a variety of conditions first, then get a controller if that's really what you want. 

I love my digiq controller, mainly because it allows me to do any of the following without checking on my egg: care for our baby daughter, sleep, drink beer, smoke a cigar or entertain my wife when the baby is asleep! 
    Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, Small BGE, 2 BBQ Guru's, 18" WSM, Rockwood, Stage 3 Roush Mustang and a hot wife... 

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    I egg'd for over 10 yrs without one, then I had a couple flame outs over night when I was on 14-hr night shifts.  Came home to a cold egg and $50-100 meat that went in the trash.  And I had taken all the precautions, but could never prepare for the weather (wind changes and rain/snow.)

Then I spend $120 on a simple one.  Now anytime I'm doing anything overnight, I always put it on for insurance.  I set mine up just to kick on if needed, unless it's really windy then I'll damper it down and let the fan kick on/off to maintain temp.  Otherwise, I just set it up to run without.

You definitely don't NEED it, but they sure are nice if you like your sleep.  If you have the time or don't want to learn the Egg by trial and error, they're a good solution too.

To all you folks that bash them........do you have power windows in your car?   Do you have air conditioning in your house?  Riding lawn mower rather than a push mower?  Microwave?  C'MON!!!!  Creature comforts.  If people want to buy something to make their life easier, why knock it?  It's their money and time.  None of us needed to spend $1000 on a BGE, yet we did.  Think about all the people that think we're stupid.
  • Jstroke
    Options
    Pains me to agree with a Bucknut, @jstroke nailed me to a T.  Have a Flame Boss 200 and it works great, love the tech and it can be fun but I haven't used it in months. And my Maverick sits unused right next to it. Only use the Thermapen now.

I'll probably break out the FB for a brisket this weekend however. It really works well and helped initially with the overnight butts but turbo is where it's at for me now.
    I am truly honored that you agreed. I keep football and egging separated for the simple reason that eggers tend to be like minded and can be good friends. Religion, Sports and Politics do not belong with egging.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Griffin said:

Michael Collins ... sent me a FB100. The unit looked a whole lot better and performed just as great but with probes that can withstand higher temps (think he said 700F?). never got a 200, but I'm not interested in all those bells and whistles.

@Griffin ... Michael told me the probes are good for 450 degrees F on the 100 and 200 units.

I second the advice to learn manual control of the egg first.  And then, plan on investing some time in learning to use which ever controller you choose to purchase.  There's a learning curve there also.

I don't care what the chest beating minimalists say, it's great to use a controller to simply start the egg when you can't stand there and watch it ... or don't want to. 

I can't remember what he said. I've had many drinks since then. He did tell me it would survive much higher than it was rated and pretty much dared me to try and kill it and that he would replace mine for free. Kind of as an experiment. But that was something he told me to try, not everybody else. I never tried it over 550 and wouldn't suggest others try it either.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Meeeshigan22
    Meeeshigan22 Posts: 306
    Options
    Jstroke said:

I am truly honored that you agreed. I keep football and egging separated for the simple reason that eggers tend to be like minded and can be good friends. Religion, Sports and Politics do not belong with egging.
    Haha, fair enough. I keep the rivalry fun until game day, then I get a little tense. 
    Highland, MI

L BGE, Primo, and a KJ Jr
  • Jstroke
    Options
    All good
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Lol

okay... Here's my story. Only made to using the Mavericks with the temp alarms, and after the first 2 years, quit doing that. 

I just set the vents, check it every so often, and pour another beverage. For overnights, even when it's "run away" it only goes to about 325° and that's just for the few hours I'm sleeping. 

Not it sure I'd bother with anything fancy... Hasn't messed up a cook yet.