Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ABT Question

WingRider
WingRider Posts: 326
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I tried my first attempt at ABT's today with questionable results. I may have overcooked them? Are they supposed to have sufficient structure after cooking to eat as fingerfood? Mine were pretty limp and needed a knife & fork. I suppose that it could also be the type of pepper used, I used some banana & poblano peppers as my wife is not a real heat fiend. I also did not load the peppers up with cream cheese??? Any suggestions appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Wayne

Comments

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    WingRider,
    The longer you cook a pepper, the limper it will be. Also, the longer you cook a pepper, the less heat it retains. A possibility is to pre-cook the bacon a bit and finish it up on the grill. This should make your peppers a bit firmer.

Apollo Beach, FL
  • WingRider
    WingRider Posts: 326
    Wardster,
    Thanks for the info, will try next time
    Wayne

• WingRider,
    I do a ton of ABT's and all kinds of peppers. I love pablano's, but have found that they get limp if you cook direct. Stuff'em and cook indirect for about an hour at 230 degress and you will be happy. No replacing a good ol' jalapeno for ABT's.[p]Another quick trick for ABT's. When you scrape out the inside seeds and veins, use a melon baller. It is cleaner and quicker than a knife or spoon. Speeds up the process a lot.[p]Take care,
    IlliniEgger

• Moni-Q
    Moni-Q Posts: 22
    WingRider,[p]I've only made ABT's twice, but both times, my experience was that well-cooked bacon held everything together (because it got "stiff" is one way to put it). How much bacon did you use? [p]
    By the way - The instructions were a bit off. They state to have a cold drink ready. A fire hose is more like it![p]
    Monica

• Kurt
    Kurt Posts: 4
    IlliniEgger,
    Good tip!

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Shane,
    the baller works fine, but actually a serrated tipped grapefruit spoon even works far better and quicker!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Lab Rat
    Lab Rat Posts: 147
    WingRider,[p]I grilled my first ABTs the other night. I must admit that everything that has been said about the wonders of these little jewels is accurate! They will a permanent addition to my appetizers platters for future get togethers.[p]I grilled mine on an extended grid for about 45 minutes till the bacon was cooked. I stuffed mine with a sliver of cheddar cheese, mounded cream cheese all over, then wrapped pretty tightly with bacon. Frankly, I was suprised the cream cheese didn't run out while they were cooking and, in fact, ended up with a neat, "curd-like" texture.[p]Keep on trying - they're worth it!
  • WingRider,
    Personally, I dont split the jalapenos in half as most eggers, but start by slicing an opening lengthwise on one side. Then gently, very gently, squeeze open the slice and 'pith' the seeds and veins with a small tool such as a nut picker while keeping the jalapeno from cracking open. It might take a couple of minutes more to de-seed, but I like to have the jalapeno remain whole, and not in half. Tap out the seeds and veins, then pack the opening with your cheese of choice. I also like to wrap my ABT with a whole, thin slice of procietto instead of bacon. Most times, there is no need for a toothpick if you lay the ATB upright on the grill, and allow for the cheese to melt into the jalapeno 'boat'. Just my way of building a better mouse-trap, no complaints as of yet............Eggcitable Boy

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Eggcitable Boy,[p]If you like to make the rellano style, you might also like the upright or vertical ABT's. Several people make racks, but to check them out all you need is a disposable aluminum pan with high sides. Invert the pan and cut some X shaped slits in the bottom, open them a little with your finger. These will hold the pepper upright.[p]For the peppers, slice off the top and scoop out the insides with a veggie peeler. Mix your cream cheese with cooked sausage, chopped pork or brisket, maybe some minced green onion etc., and fill up the pepper. Take a 1/4 slice of bacon and drape over the pepper and secure with a toothpick at the pepper mid-point. Then stick in one of the holes in the inverted pan. When they cook, the toothpick will stop the pepper from slipping through the hole as it shrinks. You do need to poke a small hole in the bottom of the pepper for drainage during cooking.[p]The square pans hold a dozen. I like to make 3 or 4 pans ahead of time and chill in the fridge. You can cook and serve in the same pan, then just toss 'em.[p]~thirdeye~[p]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • thirdeye,[p]Thanks for the 'vertical' ATB info. I will give it a try. I especially appreciate the comment about poking a small hole in the bottom of the ABT for proper draining during cooking. I prefer my 'Turds' whole, so this is helpful.............Eggcitable Boy