Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Warranty question. Small hairline crack

Options
Hi All.  I was just setting up my egg for a smoke today and noticed when cleaning a small hairline crack across the inside of the egg.  Looks to run the entire bottom and a couple inches up one side.  Are small cracks like this a problem or are they common?  Im wondering if I should be calling my dealer about it.  I'm worried that it could turn into a bigger crack and take the egg out of action during the summer when I want to use it the most.  I've also heard that replacement parts especially for the XL can take awhile to get. 

I certainly didnt expect this.  I bought it last year and havent used it much at all and when I do its for smoking at low temperatures. 

Thanks

Comments

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Pics and email the dealer as well as Bruce at HQ... Absolutely should be covered under warranty...

that said, doing a low n slow on it should be okay
  • chuckytheegghead
    chuckytheegghead Posts: 1,201
    Options
    Personally I would be calling the dealer. 
  • boomchke
    boomchke Posts: 37
    Options
    Thanks for the responses.  I've never had to do a warranty on my egg.  What's the process?  Do I just work it through the dealer I bought it from?  Or should I be contacting the company?  Bruce?
  • GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Had that happen to my xl, covered under warrant. Mine looked very similar. Kept using until I got the new base. You should be fine.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    boomchke said:
    Thanks for the responses.  I've never had to do a warranty on my egg.  What's the process?  Do I just work it through the dealer I bought it from?  Or should I be contacting the company?  Bruce?
    You can handle the warranty claim with any dealer.  Some dealers are better than others so if they give you any flack contact BGE headquarters.  Bruce works in customer service and is know to be a great help.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Options
    Start with your dealer... Then escalate if necessary... You should be fine. 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Like hapster said contact your dealer with pictures and they should get you another base with there next regular order. Low temp cooking you should be fine until you get new base. I would not go to Bruce unless your dealer will not help you or wants to charge you shipping.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    That is your typical crack. Email pictures of the crack and receipt to your dealer. They jerk you around contact bruce@biggreenegg.com, Bruce handles all the warranty work. 
    Your crack is why you paid a premium for your Egg. So don't feel the least bit awkward using it. 
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Options
    dougcrann said:
    Your crack is why you paid a premium for your Egg. So don't feel the least bit awkward using it. 
    The WARRANTY is what you pay a premium for.  Paying for crack is something totally different.
    Flint, Michigan
  • ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    Options
    dougcrann said:
    The WARRANTY is what you pay a premium for.  Paying for crack is something totally different.

• dougcrann
    Options
    Like hapster said contact your dealer with pictures and they should get you another base with there next regular order. Low temp cooking you should be fine until you get new base. I would not go to Bruce unless your dealer will not help you or wants to charge you shipping.
    Customer paying shipping....may want to read the warranty..it is clearly stated that freight is not part of the coverage...
  • dougcrann
    Options
    dougcrann said:
    Hate this software...
  • dougcrann
    Options
    dougcrann said:
    Being bi-polar....often times what I type is not what my brain was saying. What was implyed...you pay a premium for the Egg because BGE is counting  on cracks,like this happening....so you are paying a premium because of it...in essence you are paying a premium because of the warranty...and the warranty is there because they know the ceramics will bust.. 
  • dougcrann
    Options
    dougcrann said:
    Customer paying shipping....may want to read the warranty..it is clearly stated that freight is not part of the coverage...
    What was supposed to be included...
    12. SHIPPING AND DELIVERY: BGE is not liable for shipping, delivery charges, labor, packaging costs, export/import duties, VAT or any levied taxes resulting from any Warranty claim, service, repair or return, unless authorized in advance in writing by BGE.

Pretty clear...customer pays frieght....hmmm...go figure...I get poked fun at for an obvious mistake yet the member that clearly didn't read the warranty prior to posting  WRONG INFO doesn't....

Beginning to wonder why I bother being a member here...
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Options
    dougcrann said:
    dougcrann said:
    Being bi-polar....often times what I type is not what my brain was saying. What was implyed...you pay a premium for the Egg because BGE is counting  on cracks,like this happening....so you are paying a premium because of it...in essence you are paying a premium because of the warranty...and the warranty is there because they know the ceramics will bust.. 
    I know what you meant.  When I read your post, I thought it was funny about paying for crack.  Just a little light-hearted humor there.
    Flint, Michigan
  • GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    Options
    I think that is why most dealers wait until their next order, so there is no added freight to the customer.
  • Jupiter Jim
    Options
    dougcrann said:
    dougcrann said:
    12. SHIPPING AND DELIVERY: BGE is not liable for shipping, delivery charges, labor, packaging costs, export/import duties, VAT or any levied taxes resulting from any Warranty claim, service, repair or return, unless authorized in advance in writing by BGE.

Pretty clear...customer pays frieght....hmmm...go figure...I get poked fun at for an obvious mistake yet the member that clearly didn't read the warranty prior to posting  WRONG INFO doesn't....

Ok may I be more specific, if you want the dealer to get the replacement part right away by ordering one item! then yes you pay shipping. If you are willing to wait until the dealer includes it in the next order they place with there distributor then no shipping should be charged. I have been egging for 9 years and have replaced 3 fire boxes, one mini base and one fire grate and have never paid shipping because I have waited for next time my dealer gets a shipment. Dealers can do what they want as far as shipping but I would find another dealer if they want to charge me shipping. I think smart dealers will do there best to help customers because they want return business and I throw my dealer all the business I can. I also know that BGE headquarters have mailed many Eggers replacement parts free because I have read post on here saying they did. Sorry if I upset you in any way, just trying to help the guy out.

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Just say NO to crack...this is an easy replacement by BGE to the orig purchaser...
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Personally I would get the replacement part and keep on trucking with your current base. I have a new base for my medium waiting in the garage. When I start to see daylight I will change it out. Until then I will get all I can out of the one currently there. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Like everyone has said, warranty via dealer will take care of it. I've had the base of my XL replaced twice. If you have your egg on a wooden deck, you might want to put a metal water heater pan or upside down metal garbage can lid underneath just in case the crack widens while cooking and drops hot ash and/or embers.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    Yeah, dealer first. Ideally the one you bought it from, but whoever is your largest, and better talked about dealer locally will be the best bet.

Send/bring in pictures of the damage/defects, and they'll be able to look up your info, send it to the HQ, they'll approve/deny the replacement, and will have the dealer order on their next shipment.

I just literally sent one for my large base.. crack from one side to the other on the bottom, with enough separation I can feel the crack from edge to edge, and can see where it's leaked moisture/smoke. Hope you get taken care of quickly.
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    dougcrann said:
    dougcrann said:

If our customers pick up the part in our store there is never any shipping. It's info like that one might find useful as a member here. 
  • dougcrann
    Options
    Interesting how someone could disagree with my comment about customer paying shipping...Pretty self-explanatory when you read what I copied about the warranty...
  • Jupiter Jim
    Options
    It's a dead horse! beat it some more!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    dougcrann said:
    Interesting how someone could disagree with my comment about customer paying shipping...Pretty self-explanatory when you read what I copied about the warranty...
    Doug, this just underscores the value of a good retailer and your potential relationship. It's unfortunate that not everyone has a good retailer to work with due to location or just plain old poor service. If you are not one of the lucky ones, I am confident you would be correct and have to pay shipping. There is value in paying a couple bucks more and having a good reliable merchant as an advocate for you at times. 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    dougcrann said:
    I have only seen 1 person ever post they were asked to pay shipping and I have been posting here for a long ass time. It's great to copy and paste something you read but to actually know what you are talking about is much better.
  • boomchke
    boomchke Posts: 37
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments and clarifications.  I called the dealer yesterday and he said he'd reach out to BGE with the pics and see what they said.  They got back to him same day and said it would be covered.  Waiting for the dealer to get back to me about the paperwork now.  No news on paying shipping though so Im anxious to see what happens there.  

On a rather extraordinary note, I went to clean the egg this AM after smoking ribs yesterday and found the top fire ring cracked...

I cant believe it.  What are the chances?  I've heard of the top ring cracking after awhile because it doesnt have a cut to relieve stress in it like the bottom fire ring does but what are the chances?  Im guessing this is just a case of bad luck but I cant get over how both of these happened around the same time.  Im a little leery to call the dealer about this crack now too.  Im betting hes going to think Im doing or did something wrong to cause this....  grumble....
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    It happens, submit a claim for the fire ring as well. FWIW, that ring will last awhile with that crack, but get a replacement, it's covered. I have a ring just like that sitting in a cracked XL base in my shed right now.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    Just had my XL base replaced. I had noticed it this winter during a pizza cook. Waited until Spring to replace. Went to dealer, manager had me email her photos. She contacted me a few days later and said it would be covered. She called me about a week later and said it was in.
    I'd get the ball rolling and make the claim. Keep using the egg until the new one arrives.
    My fire ring is also cracked. I'll wait until it cracks at another spot before replacing. I figure it is allowing it to expand and contract during use.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Replaced my fire box last summer under warranty. I had some leftover lump in the fire box. Added some fresh lump, smaller pieces from the bottom of the bag, in the chimney starter and set the chimney starter on top of the old lump. That way when any small pieces fall thru its only going fall where it belongs. After about 5 minutes I heard a noise. I thought the chimney starter might have fallen over. After I was done cooking I noticed the new fire box split in half. I will contact the dealer and send him a picture of it.