Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Warranty question. Small hairline crack

Options
2»

Comments

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    boomchke said:
    Thanks for all the comments and clarifications.  I called the dealer yesterday and he said he'd reach out to BGE with the pics and see what they said.  They got back to him same day and said it would be covered.  Waiting for the dealer to get back to me about the paperwork now.  No news on paying shipping though so Im anxious to see what happens there.  

On a rather extraordinary note, I went to clean the egg this AM after smoking ribs yesterday and found the top fire ring cracked...

I cant believe it.  What are the chances?  I've heard of the top ring cracking after awhile because it doesnt have a cut to relieve stress in it like the bottom fire ring does but what are the chances?  Im guessing this is just a case of bad luck but I cant get over how both of these happened around the same time.  Im a little leery to call the dealer about this crack now too.  Im betting hes going to think Im doing or did something wrong to cause this....  grumble....
    Get the picture to your dealer so they can get the new fire ring with the new base. They get cracks and it has nothing to do with what you may or may not have done, now if you had dropped it well that's another story for sure.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• boomchke
    boomchke Posts: 37
    Options
    Just got word back from the dealer that they'll replace both parts as expected.  They're asking me to bring in the two broken parts though.  I guess that means they have the parts in stock since I told him I didnt want to be out of action while waiting for replacements.  Is it common for them to ask for the broken parts back or to want to see them?  I got the sense that it wasnt from some of the other posts.  Just need to find time to take the thing apart now and find someone to help me lift it. 
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Mine cracked just like that and the photo's were all they needed. My cracked base is now a flower pot for my Jalapeno plants...

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • boomchke
    boomchke Posts: 37
    Options
    @JRWhitee - So they didnt make you bring in the broken parts?  I dont have an issue doing it - but I was hoping to get the replacement parts and then just put them in when I had time or when I needed to.  
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    boomchke said:
    @JRWhitee - So they didnt make you bring in the broken parts?  I dont have an issue doing it - but I was hoping to get the replacement parts and then just put them in when I had time or when I needed to.  
    It's fairly common that dealers ask for them back atleast for the smaller items. I would question the base as that's pretty heavy and see if you can get away without bringing it back. 
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    I had to take my fire ring in to swap out for the replacement. The base I did not.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • Jupiter Jim
    Options
    I had to take my fire ring in to swap out for the replacement. The base I did not.
    What a stupid thing for your dealer to do, what doe's it matter to them?

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    boomchke said:
    No, they just saw the photos and ordered me base. I had it in a week.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    It wouldn't be the dealer. It would be the distributor. It's unlikely. 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    It is the distributor. I actually had the local store here in the ATL ask me to bring in the MM fire ring when it cracked. I drove down to the mothership and they gave me a new one with just a picture no receipt or anything. The same store that asked for me to bring the fire ring in though replaced my XL base with a picture though.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    @boomchke, I have had my XL for a little over 2 years now and have gone through 2 fire boxes, 2 plate setters and 1 CI lump grate.  My latest is the second plate setter.  Just go word it will be replaced.  I am going to JB weld one of the broken ones and use till the new one comes in.  I notice the cracks in my fire boxes when I was cleaning them.  I don't clean them as much as I used to now.  My dealer gave me an older model fire box the doesn't have the cut in it for exspansion and he said it will crack at some point and to take photos and send them to him when it happens.  The nice thing is that the grill grate is at the felt line   
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • apinion
    apinion Posts: 470
    Options
    Tell them if they want it swapped out, they can come to your house and pick it up since you have to go to their house to pick yours up.
    Louisianian by birth, Louisianian by death. Austinite for now...
  • Jupiter Jim
    Options
    Lit said:
    It is the distributor. I actually had the local store here in the ATL ask me to bring in the MM fire ring when it cracked. I drove down to the mothership and they gave me a new one with just a picture no receipt or anything. The same store that asked for me to bring the fire ring in though replaced my XL base with a picture though.
    That has been my experience with the mothership too, just show a picture of cracked item.

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer