Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

FTC for Beef Short Ribs?

Options
I'm lucky enough to have the day off today, and I'm going to smoke my favorite:  beef short ribs.  I never wrap my beef ribs either while smoking or afterward, but was wondering if anyone has tried doing the FTC treatment after cooking versus simply resting them.
Transplanted from Austin, Texas to Medina, Ohio

Comments

• Robo2015
    Robo2015 Posts: 267
    Options
    I haven't, but I've wondered about it too.  I'll be keeping an eye on this post's responses.
    A Lonely Single Large Egg

North Shore of Massachusetts
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options
    I've done it both ways.  Just depends on how long you have before you want to eat them.  When they get done early I FTC.  When I time it perfectly (meaning they come off a little later than I promised my wife) they get a short rest while we get the rest of the meal ready.  The FTC treatment MAY result in slightly juicer meat, but it MAY also soften your bark a little.  I say MAY because I haven't directly compared beef ribs side by side on this, but that tends to be true for brisket and other cuts.

So, I wouldn't think of the FTC treatment as a necessary part of the cooking process.  Just cook them how you want and FTC if the timing is such that you need to do so.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• TEggSun
    TEggSun Posts: 244
    Options
    That's what I was thinking as well, @Foghorn.  Since I have some time, I think I'm going to experiment with it.  
    Transplanted from Austin, Texas to Medina, Ohio

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options
    Cool.  Post some pics and let us know how it goes.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    I've FTC'd short rib plates over 4 hrs. to transport them to the kids house and they came out great.  Bark softens a little but no big deal.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    anyone ever try a turbo beef rib?