Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump Charcoal

Options
What other charcoal do you like to use besides the BGE brand?

Comments

• HondaHawk
    HondaHawk Posts: 98
    Options
    been a long time Royal Oak user - but I've been hearing good things about Rockwood and will soon now. 
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Rockwood here.  Yes there is a difference. Folks have their own favorites, but Rockwood is mine.

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Rockwood. 
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • FarmerTom
    FarmerTom Posts: 685
    Options
    I have become a fan of Rockwood as well. And a great side benefit of that brand is the owner of Rockwood, stlcharcoal, is a regular poster here and is always happy to discuss any questions you have regarding lump or any other BBQ question.  And no, I have no interest in that company, other than appreciating a company that is dedicated to its art.  

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• REMtx
    REMtx Posts: 63
    Options
    I've used Rockwood and Wicked Good Weekend Warrior blend. Both very good and neutral. Always get a few monster pieces in WGWW that are good for low and slows. My old standy, Ozark Oak, is now kaput.
  • RRog17
    RRog17 Posts: 562
    Options
    I use Wicked Good. 
    Canton, GA
    LBGE, Joe Jr., 28” Blackstone
  • Dfoshee
    Dfoshee Posts: 191
    Options
    Royal Oak. All I can get around here. Seems to do the job. Tried B&B it's ok. One sack of Vision, three quarters full still in shed
    Lbge. Maverick 733, ss top, 30" fire pit, gas grill, small charcoal grill, electric smoker, 65 qt yeti, 35 qt yeti.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I'm not a lump snob. I'm perfectly happy with cheap Royal Oak and won't spend the premium for the forum's darling du jour, Rockwood. I live near the Wicked Good distribution center and, last I checked, I could get it for about $13/22 lb bag, but it's been a long time since I have.

BGE is supplied by Royal Oak, in case you didn't realize. At Home Depot, RO is about $13 for 18 (I think) pounds.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Eggscuses
    Eggscuses Posts: 399
    Options
    I'm not a lump snob. I'm perfectly happy with cheap Royal Oak and won't spend the premium for the forum's darling du jour, Rockwood. I live near the Wicked Good distribution center and, last I checked, I could get it for about $13/22 lb bag, but it's been a long time since I have.

BGE is supplied by Royal Oak, in case you didn't realize. At Home Depot, RO is about $13 for 18 (I tyhink) pounds.

HDs flyer came in today's paper .
    Smaller 15lb bags for $12.75 now. 
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    If you want more details Go to naked whiz they have tons of reviews. Charcoal is very regional. I use GFS which is RO private label--8.99 for 20 lbs
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,657
    Options
    The best thing I can get locally is Kamado Joe lump. I've tried Rockwood and many others through Firecraft and have not had good luck with mail order lump.

The KJ lump is really good.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:
    I've tried Rockwood and many others through Firecraft and have not had good luck with mail order lump.
    If the shipping is beating it up, you can order it through any Ace in Alabama if it's not already on the shelf.  We have 900 bags leaving tomorrow morning for the Loxley warehouse to restock them.
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    Wouldn't mind trying rockwood,can you get it in Michigan (I go there on occasion). I am a big fan of Maple Leaf but I don't think you can get it in the US so I don't think too many on here will know it. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • shtgunal3
    Options
    Thanks @stlcharcoal our Ace (Cullman, AL) doesn't carry it. I may try to order through them and see how it goes. 

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Short by a day-A good teaser for Friday Night Flights.  But it could happen, however a transition will likely be required.  FWIW  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Oh boy, here we go....preamble to the Friday Night, swilling bourbon and the resulting lump wars!
    Getting my recliner ready for the show!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Reltserw
    Reltserw Posts: 45
    Options
    Group buy of Rockwood anytime soon?!
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    gmac said:
    Wouldn't mind trying rockwood,can you get it in Michigan (I go there on occasion). I am a big fan of Maple Leaf but I don't think you can get it in the US so I don't think too many on here will know it. 
    Right now there are only three locations......Detroit suburbs, Lansing, and Grand Rapids.  We'll eventually head north.

shtgunal3 said:
    Thanks @stlcharcoal our Ace (Cullman, AL) doesn't carry it. I may try to order through them and see how it goes. 

I've never seen the one in Cullman order any, but the one north on 65 in Hartselle and the one south in Warrior both order frequently.  Just tell yours to order 8400772 and they'll have it in a few days from Loxley.
  • shtgunal3
    edited May 2016
    Options

shtgunal3 said:

I've never seen the one in Cullman order any, but the one north on 65 in Hartselle and the one south in Warrior both order frequently.  Just tell yours to order 8400772 and they'll have it in a few days from Loxley.
    I actually may be going to Hartselle in the morning. They have a gun shop I really like. Could kill two birds with one stone.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    If you want Rockwood and can't get it locally just go here;
    http://www.firecraft.com/product/rockwood-lump-charcoal-20lbs .  Best to order in multiples of 3 bags as it arrives in 3 bags /box in quite good shape.  So 3 x $22/bag (>$99 free shipping trip-wire) =$66 so you should order a 6 bag minimum.  Thank me later.  FWIW (no Rockwood affiliation here).
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • shtgunal3
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    If you want Rockwood and can't get it locally just go here;
    http://www.firecraft.com/product/rockwood-lump-charcoal-20lbs .  Best to order in multiples of 3 bags as it arrives in 3 bags /box in quite good shape.  So 3 x $22/bag (>$99 free shipping trip-wire) =$66 so you should order a 6 bag minimum.  Thank me later.  FWIW (no Rockwood affiliation here).
    I've ordered lump from Firecraft many times before. It always gets to me beat to ****. I know others have had great luck with it but not me. I've ordered four different brands of lump from them and it always comes beat up. And I always ordered $100 or more.

• shtgunal3
    Options
    Not b!tching........ Just stating facts

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Man, I sure am glad that everyone else who sells stuff doesn't use this forum for their own free advertising. When's the last time you saw Chris or Tom mention where you could buy DP rubs or Adjustable Rigs? Or when so and so should receive a shipment? Or what UPC to tell a dealer to order? It's getting old. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• bigbadben
    bigbadben Posts: 397
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:
    The best thing I can get locally is Kamado Joe lump. I've tried Rockwood and many others through Firecraft and have not had good luck with mail order lump.

The KJ lump is really good.
    +1 
  • matoch
    matoch Posts: 135
    Options
    Man, I sure am glad that everyone else who sells stuff doesn't use this forum for their own free advertising. When's the last time you saw Chris or Tom mention where you could buy DP rubs or Adjustable Rigs? Or when so and so should receive a shipment? Or what UPC to tell a dealer to order? It's getting old. 
    I'm not sure your being fair. As far as Imcan twll the guy was linked to the thread and answered legitimate questions. Ther may be a track record or history I'm not aware of but the info in this thread seems appropriate to me.
    Edmonton, Alberta - XL & Minimax
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Yeah, that's not really fair.  he didn't bring Rockwood to the discussion.  Tom with CGS and NatureBoy are on the board too and they both similarly answer questions without being salesy.  I find stlcharcoal quite helpful.
    NOLA
  • aggie28
    aggie28 Posts: 10
    Options
    Wicked Good Weekend Warrior and Rockwood. Mostly burn Wicked Good because I can get it local. Little harder to start than Rockwood but I think it burns just a touch longer. 
    Wyoming           XL BGE & Primo XL 400
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    I usually use Wicked Good these days.  Easy to get at Ace Hardware.  Used to use Royal Oak, but Wicked Good seems to have advantages that are worth the extra price:  (1) quicker to burn off VOC's, (2) less smoky, and (3) better distribution of lump size.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    RW, FOGO, WGWW or WGJB. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Oh boy, here we go....preamble to the Friday Night, swilling bourbon and the resulting lump wars!
    Getting my recliner ready for the show!
    Roger that!  =)
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS