Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New L Egg, New Table

Options
A photo of my first Egg in the table I built. Looking forward using it this weekend. Thinking about going with a pork shoulder. Any tips for a first timer?
Cleveland, OH

1 Large BGE

Comments

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Nice setup. Pork is a good first cook. Get a small fire going, close vents to just barely open about 1/2" on the bottom and 1/8" on the top and let it go!

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Have fun, is the best tip I can give you.     I do mine indirect, lonslo. I also wet brine mine 24 hours, then pat dry, use a profuse amount of rub on all surfaces, then smear all surfaces with peach preserves. Get the Egg ready at 225F - 250F,  place drip pan under the grate, elevated, to reduce risk of fire, and smoke with peach wood. 
    I do all my butts and shoulders like this, and they fail to suck.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Nice

I like the rounded sides. Don't see that much on egg tables. 

You can "low and slow" or "turbo". Both methods work. "Turbo" is faster. You can search the methods. 

Either way, most will agree no matter the rub or brine or smoke you want the butt to reach 190-195 degrees. It will "probe like buttah" at that temp and the bone will be easily pulled out. Everything else is personal taste. It's hard to screw up a butt cook so no stress required.

If you don't have "Bear Claws", buy some! 

Have beverages of choice  on hand, have fun and prepare to make your neighbors jealous. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Great work on the table.
    Would still like to see a spacer of some kind between the Egg and stone for an air gap. Heat will transfer from the BGE base through the stone into wood.
    I'm sure other will chime in with burnt table photos soon.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • WillieC422
    WillieC422 Posts: 18
    Options
    Thanks for the compliments and tips. Full discloser I got the design for the table from this site. http://www.scottmoore.net/projects/egg/
    Cleveland, OH

1 Large BGE
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Very nice! Welcome

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Have fun, is the best tip I can give you.     I do mine indirect, lonslo. I also wet brine mine 24 hours, then pat dry, use a profuse amount of rub on all surfaces, then smear all surfaces with peach preserves. Get the Egg ready at 225F - 250F,  place drip pan under the grate, elevated, to reduce risk of fire, and smoke with peach wood. 

Still havent tried that on a butt. You put the peach preserves on for the entire cook?

Little Rock, AR

• nhk19
    nhk19 Posts: 151
    Options
    YukonRon said:

May I ask what your brine for pork consists of?
    XLBGE
    Lewisburg, PA
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Well done sir. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • YukonRon
    Options
    YukonRon said:

Still havent tried that on a butt. You put the peach preserves on for the entire cook?
    Right after the rub has had time to stabilize, and for the entire cook.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    nhk19 said:
    YukonRon said:

The brine I use is made of 3 Qts. of purified water, 12 ounces (weight) pickling salt, 8 ounces (liquid) of molasses. I pour these ingredients into a 12 Qt. (3 gallon) container, and with a standard size whisk, I mix all the ingredients together until dissolved into the water.

I use pickling salt because it is so much easier to dissolve, Purified water, because I do not want extra salts or minerals in the brining bath, and Molasses, just because I like it better than brown sugar. I use a whisk because when the ingredients dissolve off the whisk into the solution, you will know when it is properly mixed.

Depending on the container, the Butt may float. To counter this, use a brick or some sort of weight, in a sealed plastic bag, and place on top of the butt to keep it immersed. Not doing this will require you to rotate the butt to make sure all sides will be immersed an equal amount of time in the brine solution.

I do a "wet" brine for 24 hours.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    @YukonRon gives you sage advice.  This is my preferred method as well.  Welcome and have fun!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Just one more thing if you choose to do the peach preserve thing; any remaining peach preserves left in the jar, mix it in with some of the BBQ sauce, if you use it.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    @YukonRon gives you sage advice.  This is my preferred method as well.  Welcome and have fun!
    @bgebrent You turned me on to this method a very long time ago, and it has been my go to since! It is the best I have EVER used. Takes the cook, especially low and slows, to an entirely different level.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • bgebrent
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    bgebrent said:
    @bgebrent You turned me on to this method a very long time ago, and it has been my go to since! It is the best I have EVER used. Takes the cook, especially low and slows, to an entirely different level.
    Then the next level is peach preserves!  You turned us all onto that brother, ridiculous good.
  • nhk19
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    nhk19 said:
    YukonRon said:

The brine I use is made of 3 Qts. of purified water, 12 ounces (weight) pickling salt, 8 ounces (liquid) of molasses. I pour these ingredients into a 12 Qt. (3 gallon) container, and with a standard size whisk, I mix all the ingredients together until dissolved into the water.

I use pickling salt because it is so much easier to dissolve, Purified water, because I do not want extra salts or minerals in the brining bath, and Molasses, just because I like it better than brown sugar. I use a whisk because when the ingredients dissolve off the whisk into the solution, you will know when it is properly mixed.

Depending on the container, the Butt may float. To counter this, use a brick or some sort of weight, in a sealed plastic bag, and place on top of the butt to keep it immersed. Not doing this will require you to rotate the butt to make sure all sides will be immersed an equal amount of time in the brine solution.

Thank you so much!  Hate to be a copy cat but also ,,,,why reinvent the wheel.  I will give a try Memorial Day weekend.  Will include your peach preserve advice too!  This sounds delicious. Appreciated!  
    XLBGE
    Lewisburg, PA
  • YukonRon
    Options
    nhk19 said:
    YukonRon said:
    nhk19 said:
    YukonRon said:

Thank you so much!  Hate to be a copy cat but also ,,,,why reinvent the wheel.  I will give a try Memorial Day weekend.  Will include your peach preserve advice too!  This sounds delicious. Appreciated!  
    I get most of my ideas from here and put a different spin on it. I am hoping others will do the same. It tastes great, but I am absolutely positive this can be made better by the chefs in this forum. Maybe they share their better way with me.
    Call me if you need help.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • bgebrent
    Options
    nhk19 said:
    YukonRon said:
    nhk19 said:
    YukonRon said:

That's what the forum's for.  Best form of flattery.  You'll be very happy with this approach brother!
  • nhk19
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    nhk19 said:
    YukonRon said:
    nhk19 said:
    YukonRon said:

I get most of my ideas from here and put a different spin on it. I am hoping others will do the same. It tastes great, but I am absolutely positive this can be made better by the chefs in this forum. Maybe they share their better way with me.
    Ok. Thanks.  One last question & sorry for being a newbie,  Above you said you put the preserve on after the rub has stabilized.  Is that like putting the rub on and then back in fridge for a couple hours until the meat has absorbed the rub and will not be diluted & washed away with the preserve?  Or are we talking a longer process.
    XLBGE
    Lewisburg, PA
  • nhk19
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    nhk19 said:
    YukonRon said:
    nhk19 said:
    YukonRon said:

That's what the forum's for.  Best form of flattery.  You'll be very happy with this approach brother!
    Thanks!  This forum is great.  Everyone goes out of their way to be helpful.  Until I get up to speed on this stuff I'm going to be broke cause I owe a lot of you all a beer.
    XLBGE
    Lewisburg, PA
  • YukonRon
    Options
    nhk19 said:
    YukonRon said:
    nhk19 said:
    YukonRon said:
    nhk19 said:
    YukonRon said:

Ok. Thanks.  One last question & sorry for being a newbie,  Above you said you put the preserve on after the rub has stabilized.  Is that like putting the rub on and then back in fridge for a couple hours until the meat has absorbed the rub and will not be diluted & washed away with the preserve?  Or are we talking a longer process.
    Sorry for the confusion. When the meat has pretty much absorbed the rub. I have done some tests with this stage, I did a 24 hour wait with the rub in the fridge prior to the preserves and there was a difference. If you have the time and the space, you may wish to try it. If not, no biggie. It will still be delicious.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • nhk19
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    nhk19 said:
    YukonRon said:
    nhk19 said:
    YukonRon said:
    nhk19 said:
    YukonRon said:

Sorry for the confusion. When the meat has pretty much absorbed the rub. I have done some tests with this stage, I did a 24 hour wait with the rub in the fridge prior to the preserves and there was a difference. If you have the time and the space, you may wish to try it. If not, no biggie. It will still be delicious.
    Perfect!  I may have to drink more beverages & make room in my garage fridge but I'll do it for 24 hrs.  Thanks again!
    XLBGE
    Lewisburg, PA
  • YukonRon
    Options
    nhk19 said:
    YukonRon said:
    nhk19 said:
    YukonRon said:
    nhk19 said:
    YukonRon said:
    nhk19 said:
    YukonRon said:

Perfect!  I may have to drink more beverages & make room in my garage fridge but I'll do it for 24 hrs.  Thanks again!
    Brother that is what we are all about here.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Plans or no plans looks like nice work on the table.  Very few I've ever seen get the table done before burning up that egg, that's some will power.

Looking forward to pics of some of your pics.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    YukonRon said:

Do you have any pictures of the shoulders with peach preserves on them?  I'm putting 3 on later tonight for a party tomorrow and will definitely try this method...  
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • YukonRon
    Options
    GoooDawgs said:
    YukonRon said:

Do you have any pictures of the shoulders with peach preserves on them?  I'm putting 3 on later tonight for a party tomorrow and will definitely try this method...  
    I do at home. I am at the doctor's office right now. Typically you need a pizza peel to remove it from the rack, as it actually falls apart by the end of the cook. I will try to send an image to you or look for my previous posts.
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1190035/peach-butt-time-again-pic-heavy#latest

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky