Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need an award winning sauce recipe

Options
Thatgrimguy
Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
I'm competing in Birmingham this weekend and entered the sauce side competition.  I make a couple sauces but they are way to vinegar for Mid Alabama.  I need something on the sweeter side to hit this crowd.

Anyone have an award winner they would be willing to let me borrow for this weekend?
XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum

Comments

• Simcan
    Simcan Posts: 287
    Options

I don't know if it has won any contests, but here is a recipe for a great sauce that will stand out...just simmer the onions and garlic on low heat, gently, until they are soft and translucent, add the rest, mix well and simmer gently for about 30 minutes. I puree it, usually.

1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion (1 large onion)
    1 tablespoon minced garlic (3 cloves)
    1/2 cup vegetable oil
    1 cup tomato paste (10 ounces)
    1 cup cider vinegar
    1 cup honey
    1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
    1 cup Dijon mustard
    1/2 cup soy sauce
    1 cup hoisin sauce
    2 tablespoons chili powder
    1 tablespoon ground cumin
    1/2 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
    Toronto ON
  • Eggscuses
    Eggscuses Posts: 399
    Options
    That sounds good.  I'm gonna borrow that.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    This one has been a favorite with us for 15 years now - it really is GOOD!

SASSY SAUCE

Not too hot  -  not too sweet

It’s just SASSY

Here is the whole story behind this delightful BBQ sauce. I have made a notation in the recipe for my personal preferences and they are labeled as RRP here.

Ron Pratt, Dunlap, IL        ron.pat@comcast.net

J.K's Wild Boar Soul BBQ Sauce Recipe

Mike Flaherty - March 30, 2001

Yes, we have (all sorts of) real BBQ in Seattle. An eclectic mix of folks from lots of different places. In the 80's there was a tiny place up on Cherry St (!), called J.K's Wild Boar Soul BBQ. You had to watch out for the needles on the sidewalk, dark little room with years of smoke on it, you'd order a pile of meat, and get a side of incredible beans, and 2 slices of white bread wrapped in foil. And change for the pop machine if you needed it. The proprietors name was Beal, I believe. As I recall, a retired navy cook and utter BBQ maestro. His sauce was spectacular, and he's also use that sauce as a base for his beans.

When Beal quit in the mid 80's, I thought my life was over. There was no other BBQ that even came close here. And it was the sauce that shone.

So the other night, I'm at a guy's house, downing marguerites and sampling various hot sauces, and he says "Try this!" I immediately knew what it was..... Beals sauce! Amazing. This guy had eaten at the wild boar every week for years. He and his wife would bring in their attempts to duplicate the sauce, and after months of trying, Mr. Beal took pity on them and finally gave them his recipe.

You should REALLY REALLY REALLY try this. I believe that it's an inspired compendium of common ingredients, whose sum is infinitely greater than its individual components.

This would even be good on vanilla ice cream!    

THE RECIPE:

This is a "1/2" recipe, and makes 2 quarts.

Mix in big pot over low heat

1/6 cup salt
    2 cups sugar
    1/2 heaping cup packed brown sugar
    1 cup beef bouillon strong (RRP here…I use a cup of Swanson Beef Broth plus 1                     Wyler’s Beef bouillon cube)
    6 Cups H20

When sugars dissolve, add

1 cup yellow mustard
    1/2 cup white vinegar
    1/2 cup Wrights liquid smoke. Yes, that's right!
    1 Cup Worcestershire
    3  6 oz cans tomato paste
    2 TBS Kitchen Bouquet to darken

Chili Powder (the real thing), cayenne, Daves, whatever to add heat. Hatch ground chile is my favorite. I might try adding baby schezuan peppers or chili pequins next time. I also like to make a not too hot sauce, and serve with lots of sliced fresh jalapeno.  (RRP here…I just use 1 tea of chipotle and 2 TBS of chili powder)

Simmer bubbling slowly for 2 hours.... will reduce by 1/3 and darken.  (RRP here…my experience is it never reduces that much, but more like 1”. Just be sure to stir from time to time! )

RRP here…I have been making this as our house sauce for 15 years now and we just love it. I have found that it will freeze nicely though it will never be rock hard, So rather than to try to further cut this recipe in half just trust me that you’ll like it, but if not you’ll find friends who do. I always give a bottle of it to an elderly neighbor couple who call it “Ron’s Sassy Sauce” hence the nick name we have given it.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Smokin_Trout
    Smokin_Trout Posts: 506
    Options
    Nothing but compliments on this sauce. Even helped us take first place in ribs at a competition.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1132841/bar-b-que-sauce-in-memory-of-larry-griffin 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Nothing but compliments on this sauce. Even helped us take first place in ribs at a competition.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1132841/bar-b-que-sauce-in-memory-of-larry-griffin 
    Thanks - what's the &#149 and &#188 codes?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Simcan
    Simcan Posts: 287
    Options
    Eggscuses said:
    That sounds good.  I'm gonna borrow that.

Yeah, it is really good.  It is from Ina Garten.  I often (usually) substitute about a tablespoon of Sambal Oelek for the red pepper flakes and I sometimes go a bit lighter on the hoisin, but it is really great.
    Toronto ON
  • shucker
    shucker Posts: 483
    Options
    if its kcbs, those judges are gonna be looking for something very similar to what youd use on your ribs and chicken.  if you want to win, play it safe because thats what your competition will be doing

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

http://facebook.com/oldcolonysmokehouse

https://www.instagram.com/oldcolonysmokehouse/

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited May 2016
    Options

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Scott, I know nothing about competition but this is a great sauce my friend!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/the-ultimate-barbecued-ribs-recipe.html

Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • konablue50
    konablue50 Posts: 81
    Options
    Not a huge contest but this one won best sauce at my company's bbq competition, people keep asking me to bring some in...

• 1c Ketchup
    • 2/3c Brown Sugar
    • 1/2c Beer
    • 1/2c Soda
    • 1/3c Real Maple Syrup or Molasses
    • 6oz Tomato Paste
    • 3 tbs Mustard
    • 3 tbs Apple Cider Vinegar
    • 1 tbs Sea Salt
    • 1 tbs Dry Mustard
    • 1 tbs Worcestershire Sauce
    • 1 tbs Garlic Powder
    • 1 tbs Onion Powder
    • 2 tsp Thyme
    • 1 tsp Black Pepper
    • 1 tsp Paprika
    • 1/2 tsp Cayenne

Gordon
    South Florida
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options

Yes, we have (all sorts of) real BBQ in Seattle. An eclectic mix of folks from lots of different places. In the 80's there was a tiny place up on Cherry St (!), called J.K's Wild Boar Soul BBQ. You had to watch out for the needles on the sidewalk,

I grew up and spent most of my life in Seattle.  I had heard of this place several times.  Unfortunately, long before I discovered the EGG.  Thank you for sharing.  I have saved and will be making this soon!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Brother Grimm Shelly has a Tequlia BBQ sauce she makes for our Baja Wave Tequlia Lime Pulled Pork Tacos. I can send it over if you like. It is lights out!
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I have seen this write up before somewhere. It is a really interesting story and I need to make the recipe soon.
    Thanks for posting it @RRP .